These are chat archives for elemental/chat

24th
Mar 2017
Jack Poulson
@poulson
Mar 24 2017 00:43
It seems those routines are still TODO for El::DistMultiVec, so it would be best to operator= to your favorite El::DistMatrix and perhaps call QueuePull and friends from there
there exists an identical El::DistMatrix distribution where one could avoid any communication for the conversion if that matters
Pavan B Govindaraju
@gpavanb
Mar 24 2017 03:43

The operator= seems to defined only between two DistMultiVec so far (and is listed in Pg. 104 of the documentation, assuming it is updated). The compiler is raising an error regarding this as well (I'm not sure if pasting the error prompt here is a good idea, given that templated code is known to give verbose outputs).

Regarding the alternative distribution, I'm constrained by the fact that I'd like to use the in-built sparse matrix solver which uses the DistMultiVec and thus, there is no simple way around getting the solution into the more malleable DistMatrix form.

Jack Poulson
@poulson
Mar 24 2017 04:55
El::Copy handles that, not operator=, sorry
also, the reason you were able to call El::LU without a pivot vector is that said routine is LU without any pivoting
if you pass in an El::Permutation or El::DistPermutation, then LU with partial pivoting is performed
if you pass in two such permutation objects, LU with complete pivoting is performed
the sparse support isn't meant to be polished right now because most of the sparse data structures will be replaced
Pavan B Govindaraju
@gpavanb
Mar 24 2017 17:41
Thanks @poulson , it works like a charm and with that I am done with my quarter! Really appreciate the guidance and especially, the work you are doing.
Jack Poulson
@poulson
Mar 24 2017 17:47
I'm glad to be of help and apologize for some of the rough edges