These are chat archives for elemental/chat

12th
Jun 2017
Ryan H. Lewis
@rhl-
Jun 12 2017 12:50
I have not. If it's anything like EC2 the interconnects (at least historically) were not that great, and so it didn't support very fast MPI
Jeff Hammond
@jeffhammond
Jun 12 2017 16:10
@rhl- Honestly, I can't keep up with ICC+Elemental issues. The compiler team targets the version of Elemental that I give them when I file bug reports, but they will not run HEAD as part of their testing (I asked). So whatever version worked with ICC 17.0.1 should work forever, because that version is what they are testing nightly. If Elemental did quarterly releases or something like that, I could probably get ICC devs to target each of those, but more frequently is impractical. PS I am rarely on Gitter. Tagging me on GitHub is a much better way to get my attention.
@rhl- Actually, I think the big-name clouds use fantastic interconnect technology, they just target a different performance regime than supercomputers and they necessarily add latency through virtualization and the use of TCP/IP stacks. Many years ago at Argonne, I recall a conversation about EC2 on InfiniBand - apparently 2-3 buffer copies were required on both ends, relative to unvirtualized RDMA.
Ryan H. Lewis
@rhl-
Jun 12 2017 16:22
AJ.lg l
Ryan H. Lewis
@rhl-
Jun 12 2017 17:11
Disregard
Jeff Hammond
@jeffhammond
Jun 12 2017 19:46
Randomly generated 8-byte passwords, huh? :-D
Anyways, Intel 18 beta got stuck on src/blas_like/level1/Instantiate.cpp. I killed compilation ~70 minutes and 9 GB in...
That is with optimization disabled.
But even if that wasn't a blocker, there are a bunch of issues like this:
/Users/jrhammon/Work/Elemental/git/src/core/DistMatrix/Element/./setup.hpp(152): error: declaration is incompatible with "El::DistMatrix<Ring, El::DistNS::VC, El::DistNS::STAR, El::DistWrapNS::ELEMENT>::diagType *El::DistMatrix<Ring, El::DistNS::VC, El::DistNS::STAR, El::DistWrapNS::ELEMENT>::ConstructDiagonal(const El::Grid &, int) const" (declared at line 61 of "/Users/jrhammon/Work/Elemental/git/include/El/core/DistMatrix/Element/VC_STAR.hpp")
  DM::ConstructDiagonal