Where communities thrive


  • Join over 1.5M+ people
  • Join over 100K+ communities
  • Free without limits
  • Create your own community
People
Repo info
Activity
    Brandon Mills
    @btmills
    I'd be up for trying that
    Kevin Partington
    @platinumazure
    It could help us have a more cohesive vision of what we should work on for the next major release, etc. as well
    So, I'm :+1: to trying a 4-week release schedule and keeping TSC meetings every 2 weeks, and trying to have some time built in for PR review/merge
    Ilya Volodin
    @ilyavolodin
    :+1: to try it till the end of the year
    Brandon Mills
    @btmills
    :+1:
    Kevin Partington
    @platinumazure
    :+1: to using end of year as initial scope
    Ilya Volodin
    @ilyavolodin
    @mysticatea what do you think?
    Toru Nagashima
    @mysticatea
    Hmm, I want canary if we move to 4-week releases. But I don't oppose it.
    Ilya Volodin
    @ilyavolodin
    I'm fine with canary releases
    Kevin Partington
    @platinumazure
    I'm okay with canary releases, no strong feelings either way
    Brandon Mills
    @btmills
    I'm not opposed to canaries
    Toru Nagashima
    @mysticatea
    Ok, thank you. :+1:
    Ilya Volodin
    @ilyavolodin
    I think canaries will help if we will be spending a full hour merging PRs, but have 2 more weeks before the release. So I'm fine with trying it
    Ok, the resolution is to switch releases to every 4 weeks, keep TSC meetings every 2 weeks, but re-purpose one of them for triage, PR reviews and merges. And introduce auto-cut canary releases
    Next proposal/question:

    TSC Description:

    Let's discuss to schedule for the ESLint 7.0.0 release. I have a rough draft:

    2019-11-08 ... Start to discuss we should include what changes into 7.0.0.
    2019-12-05 ... Feature-freeze. After this release cycle, start to merge breaking change PRs.
    2020-01-31 ... Stable release.
    The following items are the reason I'm thinking it's good timing:

    In December 2019, Node.js 8.x will be EOL (https://github.com/nodejs/Release#release-schedule). We can drop supports for that then start to use async iteration (RFC40 may use async iteration).
    We have a ton of issues/PRs that are breaking changes (https://github.com/eslint/eslint/projects/6)
    The 1.0.0 release was 31 July 2015 and the 1.10.3 release was 1 December 2015. Since the 6.0.0 release was 21 June 2019, so the 6.x duration in the draft plan is longer than the 1.x duration (and the 2.x duration also). Therefore, from the precedent, we have enough intervals for the new major release.
    TSC Question:

    How should we schedule to release ESLint 7.0.0?

    Kevin Partington
    @platinumazure
    In general, I feel we should start sooner rather than later, and coinciding with Node 8.x EOL makes sense (although, I would also have no problem if our major release occurs in February or March).
    Ilya Volodin
    @ilyavolodin
    I don't see a huge reason to rush, but I also don't see a reason to hold off 7.0 for too long either. So I'm fine either way
    Kevin Partington
    @platinumazure
    I'll also note that although we're only on 6.5 now, we did lose a lot of releases in the summer, so we'd probably be at 6.9 or so now if we had all those releases. So I see no reason to "wait until we're on 6.10" or anything like that.
    Brandon Mills
    @btmills
    My only constraint would be not before Node 8.x EOL, and anytime after that works for me
    Kevin Partington
    @platinumazure
    :+1: to "not before Node 8.x EOL"
    Brandon Mills
    @btmills
    Perhaps start with the schedule as proposed above, and if it slips because we miss a TSC meeting or release, no big deal?
    Kevin Partington
    @platinumazure
    :+1:
    Ilya Volodin
    @ilyavolodin
    :+1:
    Toru Nagashima
    @mysticatea
    :+1:
    Ilya Volodin
    @ilyavolodin
    Ok, resolution is to accept this proposal
    Last issue we have is release. Question is do we want to do release tomorrow, or skip it? I would say do release tomorrow and skip the next one
    Brandon Mills
    @btmills
    I could do a release tomorrow afternoon US eastern time, but I wouldn't be available for a follow-up patch release
    Kevin Partington
    @platinumazure
    I'm available Friday late evening, Saturday morning, or Saturday evening (US time). I could also help with a patch release if @btmills is on the regular release
    Ilya Volodin
    @ilyavolodin
    I can only do tomorrow evening (after 8pm EST till 10pm)
    Kevin Partington
    @platinumazure
    I won't be able to overlap with @ilyavolodin, sorry
    Toru Nagashima
    @mysticatea
    I will not be available this weekend because I will participate in https://vuefes.jp/2019/
    Kevin Partington
    @platinumazure
    Nice
    Brandon Mills
    @btmills
    Alternate proposal: skip this release and do it in two weeks after reviewing some PRs in the next TSC meeting :laughing:
    Ilya Volodin
    @ilyavolodin
    I'm fine with that
    Kevin Partington
    @platinumazure
    :+1:
    We can just close the release issue for now to get the next issue up
    (As a note, we might need to change the bot at some point to handle the 4-week cadence)
    Ilya Volodin
    @ilyavolodin
    Ok, so let's skip this release and do release in two weeks
    And the next TSC meeting will be review meeting
    Brandon Mills
    @btmills
    :+1:
    Kevin Partington
    @platinumazure
    :+1:
    Toru Nagashima
    @mysticatea
    :+1:
    Ilya Volodin
    @ilyavolodin
    Ok, accepted!
    Kevin Partington
    @platinumazure
    Oh, and we should change our README to indicate the new cadence at some point
    Ilya Volodin
    @ilyavolodin
    That's it for today. Thanks everyone. Good night
    Kevin Partington
    @platinumazure
    :wave:
    Brandon Mills
    @btmills
    Thanks all! I'll have notes up later today :wave:
    Toru Nagashima
    @mysticatea
    Thank you :wave:
    Brandon Mills
    @btmills
    Meeting notes PR: eslint/tsc-meetings#150