These are chat archives for esp8266/Arduino

23rd
Mar 2017
ongvanor
@ongvanor
Mar 23 2017 07:30
Hi just a quick question can i use this core library for sotware serial communication? cause i have ESP 01 and arduino mega i need lots of pins for the project
Martin Sloup
@arcao
Mar 23 2017 10:20
@ongvanor Yes, just connect HW serial RX/TX directly to your Arduino Mega and use Serial object like on Arduino.
ongvanor
@ongvanor
Mar 23 2017 11:14
Thanks for the reply Martin :)
I'll try to implement what you suggested :)
using RX2/TX2 of Mega will do? or i have to directly connect it to the RX /TX of the Mega?
bobcroft
@bobcroft
Mar 23 2017 11:18
@ifree92 Igor Google Virtronics they do an Arduino simulator that may do what you want. Also have a look at Visual Micro that runs under the free Visual Studio Edition or Atmel Studio. VM enables code development and code debugging. I do not know of am emulator as such because Arduino clones are so cheap you can debug on the target board. I hope that helps
bobcroft
@bobcroft
Mar 23 2017 11:23
@ongvanor You can use any of the serial ports on the Mega, I currently have set up using Rx3 / Tx3. On an Arduino UNO you can also use software serial to output message without getting the boot up crap or if you need a different baud rate. I always try and link the ESP8266 device that is running ESP-Link to the UNO / MEGA using hardware serial ports if possible.
ongvanor
@ongvanor
Mar 23 2017 11:27
thanks for the input @bobcroft, one question the target board in uploading my code should be in the mega right? not to my ESP-01 module? correct me if im wrong
bobcroft
@bobcroft
Mar 23 2017 11:43
@ongvanor Yes the MEGA is the target board but you have to install the ESP-Link binaries onto the ESP8266 board you are using. It is best to use one of the ESP8266-boards with 4 M of memory if you want to get into OTA.
ongvanor
@ongvanor
Mar 23 2017 11:49
unfortunately im using the ESP-01 with 1M of memory
Martin Sloup
@arcao
Mar 23 2017 12:16
@ongvanor You can resolder ESP-01 with 4MB flash memory. I did it for my.
Martin Sloup
@arcao
Mar 23 2017 12:28
You don't need hot air to desolder old flash chip I use my solder iron and move solder tip on all 4 pins from one side with lifting the chip slightly. Then I did it for second side. It's not so hard.
bobcroft
@bobcroft
Mar 23 2017 16:42
@ongvanor, I always suggest the -12 version because you have more pins as well. Good video from Martin and a good test of soldering skills.