These are chat archives for esp8266/Arduino

21st
Nov 2017
Shelby Merrick
@forkineye
Nov 21 2017 15:54
Noticed lwip2 is included and selected by default in the latest pulls. Is lwip2 recommended now? Any known issues with it? Haven't found much information on the implementation of it within the core yet.
Matej Sychra
@suculent
Nov 21 2017 16:30
How is the LWIP2 being selected? In case I would like to change it and test the difference?
Shelby Merrick
@forkineye
Nov 21 2017 16:31
@suculent it's an option in the Arduino IDE
Develo
@devyte
Nov 21 2017 17:28
lwip1.4 has too many issues, especially with udp. Although lwip2 is experimental (and will be for some time to come), having it as default for now forces user attention and promotes testing. At this time, there has been only one issue with it reporting a crash, and a whole lot of old issues addressed, so it's a lot more positive than negative. I'm not sure that crash is due to lwip2 itself.
@suculent the Arduino IDE was reworked a bit (more to come after 2.4 is out), and you can select which version of lwip you want to build against. This is available in latest git.
Matej Sychra
@suculent
Nov 21 2017 17:30
Ok. I prefer lwip2 anyway because my use-case has custom udp protocol.
Shelby Merrick
@forkineye
Nov 21 2017 17:34
I was having some very odd issues when testing with lwip2 last night with processing incoming multicast streams so rolled back to the pre-compiled open source lwip1 included. I'll do more testing against lwip2 and see if I can figure out what was going on. Also, noticed the set hostname wasn't coming across with the DHCP request in lwip2. Will investigate further and post issues once I have good data.
Develo
@devyte
Nov 21 2017 17:37
Please do as much testing as you can. Be aware that there is an elusive arp bug that has come up in randomly in both lwip versions. It is suspected to be in the espressif link layer code, but so far nobody has been able to conclusively prove it is there and no
... not in lwip itself
Thomas Cooper
@thomascoope
Nov 21 2017 17:43

I'm trying to flash my ESP12-E using an FTDI232. I have the following schematic layout: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8032n9hre7bt6dd/FTDI232%20%26%20ESP8266_schem.png?dl=0

When I try to flash the ESP in Arduino I get the following message at 115200 baud:

warning: espcomm_send_command: didn't receive command response
warning: espcomm_send_command(FLASH_DOWNLOAD_DATA) failed
warning: espcomm_send_command: wrong direction/command: 0x01 0x03, expected 0x01 0x04
error: espcomm_upload_mem failed

The LED on the ESP8266 flashes 4 times during the upload.

& get the following at 9600baud:

warning: espcomm_send_command: didn't receive command response
warning: espcomm_send_command(FLASH_DOWNLOAD_DATA) failed
warning: espcomm_send_command: didn't receive command response
error: espcomm_upload_mem failed

Both using the NodeMCU reset method.