These are chat archives for esp8266/Arduino

Aug 2018
den har
@denman0000_gitlab
Aug 15 2018 00:22
Is there a way to send a ping from ESP8266 without the ping library .. this might solve the warming up of the receivers in my previous question above ? Or is the only way to just send it a connection request to a non-existent page (like this GET /gpio/1 HTTP/1.1\r\nHost: 192.168.1.126\r\n\r\n) in a loop ?
Develo
@devyte
Aug 15 2018 00:55
If you want one master and several slaves, I'd say UDP broadcast, and check that you get all replies. To account for missed replies I'd do a "soft" reply check, i.e.: if I miss 10 consecutive replies from one slave, then he's considered dead.
den har
@denman0000_gitlab
Aug 15 2018 00:58
@Devleo Hi there how are you ? Ty for reply .. I get that but I'm not trying to establish if he's dead or not .. I need a reliable way of knowing he received my packet or not .. and the slave has to reply saying "I received it " ...
just to elaborate .. take for example a button on a remote control (the master) .. one click ... only one .. and the receiver (slave) gets it ...I need to make sure it does indeed arrive and the same packet is not responded to several time .. for example as you suggest send it 10 UDP packets
Develo
@devyte
Aug 15 2018 01:01
then I'd say you'd have to implement your own pseudo protocol over UDP broadcast to assure replies, timeouts, etc
den har
@denman0000_gitlab
Aug 15 2018 01:01
at the moment the webServer seems to work for this but I'm finding I have to kind of warm the receiver (slave) up with a few requests (pakets) first as the first packet is not always acknowldged by the slave
Develo
@devyte
Aug 15 2018 01:02
how many slaves?
den har
@denman0000_gitlab
Aug 15 2018 01:03
@Develo yes thats exactly why i posed the question here .. when i was working with NRF and also 433MHZ .. i would send a few warm up packets to get the receiver stabilized .. this was achieved by send junk at it
slaves could indeed be only limited by IP range on a given subnet
what would be ideal is a kind of broadcast and each slave in a sort of promiscuous mode
den har
@denman0000_gitlab
Aug 15 2018 01:10
currently i am using webserver example (modified) on each slave .. but as i said after an intermittent amount of idle time they need a little wakeup .. for this i have managed to see a ping works and gets them ready for the client connection (from master (actually webClient example) and then i make the connection (http://whatever/whatever/gpio etc
I'm not sure if the apparent no response is a code/code buffer or delay issue or a hardware issue on the ESP ?
I've tried same on esp12f and 12EX and SONOFF and nodemcu ..
den har
@denman0000_gitlab
Aug 15 2018 01:37
@devyte so can you invoke a ping send from an ESP8266 without library .. ? I have noticed webSever does reply to a ping ... is there an option to do a ping from the webserver ?
Develo
@devyte
Aug 15 2018 01:43
a ping is a specific protocol where you send a packet to a device and the remote device replies with a packet
if you're using the webserver, then you're essentially using http over tcp
den har
@denman0000_gitlab
Aug 15 2018 01:50
yes correct re ping (icmp)
but if i ping the webserver first .. it actually wakes (warms it up) and then I am able to establish the HTTP connection (TCP)
if i don't do that then first HTTP connection attempts on accepted/replied to by webserver
the reply is sometimes on first or second or third or more .. this again only after esp's are idle for random periods
seems only specific to ESP's as i have checked same on webservers running on notebooks/pc's on the same wifi network
den har
@denman0000_gitlab
Aug 15 2018 01:56
anyways will keep testing .. maybe someone else has noticed this too
Develo
@devyte
Aug 15 2018 03:30
Which core version? That sounds like an issue that was fixed a while back.
The esp should respond on first attempt
Also, which wifi mode?
Hasenradball
@hasenradball
Aug 15 2018 07:33
Hello together I am using on the esp 8266 the Esp8266Webserver class and I want to know if is there avDocumentation about the methods?
I want actually know how does ServeStatic() works and wat it does?
hreintke
@hreintke
Aug 15 2018 07:38
@denman0000_gitlab Maybe MQTT gives (part of) the functionality you need.
den har
@denman0000_gitlab
Aug 15 2018 09:18
@hreintke thanks a million for the reply .. I'm not using any web access as it's in a canned environment and therefore no 3rd party servers
hreintke
@hreintke
Aug 15 2018 09:37
@denman0000_gitlab : First : I am not using MQTT myself and only have done some limited testing/use of MQTT but there are (a lot of) open source MQTT brokers which you can install and use in your own environment. MQTT client is avaible for esp8266 & esp32.
den har
@denman0000_gitlab
Aug 15 2018 09:39
@hreintke Thanks again .. if MQTT server was possible on ESP8266 then great .. solution requires everything on ESP's only
@hreintke I appreciate your info ..thank you kindly
hreintke
@hreintke
Aug 15 2018 13:44
@denman0000_gitlab : https://github.com/martin-ger/uMQTTBroker but again : I did not use/test it.