These are chat archives for etherapis/etherapis

Feb 2016
void4
@void4
Feb 20 2016 11:19
Hi, me again. I'd like to contribute to this project, but am still not sure about the long term view. Can you relate to this: https://www.reddit.com/r/ethereum/comments/406a3f/driverless_cars_use_case/d05ynau ? One disadvantage of integrating IPFS would be the additional dependency of course, but there are already easy ways to deploy both nodes (e.g. with eris) that we can provide to the users.
Jeffrey Wilcke
@obscuren
Feb 20 2016 11:21
You mean a gateway for serving files hosted on IPFS?
I wouldn’t see why that wouldn’t be possible. But the cool thing is that your api can provide that and serve it through the proxy. Etherapis doesn’t need to work directly with IPFS, just your own project
[user request]->[ether_apis]->[your_API]->[ipfs]
void4
@void4
Feb 20 2016 11:26
Using IPFS as a way of broadcasting data is a possible use case, on the service client side a gateway can be used. This is more about using IPNS as a way to store the contract source, ABI, compiler information and most importantly, the service endpoints - which can be, but are not limited to HTTP APIs. So instead of storing all this information in a contract, you reference the hash of the file through an IPNS name stored in the contract.
Péter Szilágyi
@karalabe
Feb 20 2016 11:28
I'm not sure storing the service endpoints in IPFS is the best idea at the current state
i.e.
currently we only maintain a few meta fields (endpoint, fee, cancellation)
void4
@void4
Feb 20 2016 11:28
This becomes even more useful if Ethereum and IPFS begin to share some conventions (e.g. multikey), because then the service owner can publish signed merkledags.
Yep
At the moment, it is definitely not the most important thing. It's more of a long term project.
Péter Szilágyi
@karalabe
Feb 20 2016 11:29
So, the idea in itself isn't bad, because it would allow a ton of metadata to be associated with service endpoints
which could be verified by anyone easily
so you could in essence move off the data from the contract, hence allow a lot more
void4
@void4
Feb 20 2016 11:29
It is also good because it is consensus system independent.
Péter Szilágyi
@karalabe
Feb 20 2016 11:30
however in the current proof-of-concept state I think even for us it's a bit cloudy as to where the system will end up with
we'd like to create a working prototype, have people play with it
void4
@void4
Feb 20 2016 11:30
I agree.
Péter Szilágyi
@karalabe
Feb 20 2016 11:30
and then see what the expectaions/shortcomings are
void4
@void4
Feb 20 2016 11:31
Would you mind if I try to contribute to this project?
Jeffrey Wilcke
@obscuren
Feb 20 2016 11:31
I think what you’re more looking for is ethereum + file storage and it doesn’t have much to do with etherapis itself.
@void4 how would you like to contribute. What aspects do you think you can contribute to?
void4
@void4
Feb 20 2016 11:32
Code :)
Péter Szilágyi
@karalabe
Feb 20 2016 11:33
I'm not sure about the external contributions just yet, because the code base is very tiny and even with Jeff we often step on each other's toes and have to spend an hour working around what the other accidentally reworked.
We kind of refactor the entire thing every week :D
Jeffrey Wilcke
@obscuren
Feb 20 2016 11:33
Like peter already said, even for us it’s still quite cloudy. It will be difficult
void4
@void4
Feb 20 2016 11:33
Okay. I'll think about it more and report back if I have something. Thanks for the feedback!
Péter Szilágyi
@karalabe
Feb 20 2016 11:34
I really appreciate the offer, really, just that it's a bit early to sync with too many people :D
If the core gets a bit stable where we at least hve something testable and running, then it's probably a very different story
but since the gopher gala we blew up the codebase and haven't yet been able to put it back together :D
Jeffrey Wilcke
@obscuren
Feb 20 2016 11:35
Hopefully by the end of next week we’ll have another PoC
And a bit more cleaned up code base
void4
@void4
Feb 20 2016 11:36
Nice. The interface is very impressive.
Jeffrey Wilcke
@obscuren
Feb 20 2016 11:36
@void4 don’t see this as a fuck off message, please. This is more a “appreciated but we can’t accept any help just yet”.
void4
@void4
Feb 20 2016 11:37
In the contrary, I understand your concerns completely, I wouldn't want to mess up your project either. You are way more experienced developers than me.
Jeffrey Wilcke