I mean if we had a split for four days, how bad would that be?
Pretty bad. At such point I would prefer a new PoW testnet.
A testnet is supposed to be light and easy to use, but Ropsten became way too heavy already. I don't mind if it breaks up and joins Morden in history.
For us and our testing consistency with older data is not required. We can easily afford to re-deploy to a new PoW testnet (that's lighter than Ropsten) that can be used by both clients. As long as such a testnet exists and we don't have to do that often.
or perhaps run your own private testnet for heavy testing?
What @veox said. It's not just us testing.
Well, you could gasp wait 4 days with resuming testing on the public testnet ;P
We are on a feature freeze so testing is our main focus right now. 4 days of development is a lot
@holiman you made the tweet asking for projects to tell you if they use Ropsten. I just did. We would have more work on our plate if Ropsten breaks this month and this is a critical month for us.
It's obvious that our priorities are very different and in the end it's not my decision. From the way my comments here were received it sounds like a done deal, so we will try to plan accordingly.
Continuing to run the pre-fork Ropsten is also an option.