Where communities thrive


  • Join over 1.5M+ people
  • Join over 100K+ communities
  • Free without limits
  • Create your own community
People
Activity
  • Feb 28 2019 19:45
    @Arachnid banned @merkle_tree_twitter
  • Feb 17 2019 00:56
    @jpitts banned @Aquentson_twitter
  • Apr 09 2018 04:14
    @holiman banned @JennyJennywren_twitter
  • Oct 21 2017 19:12
    @Arachnid banned @Musk11
EOS Classic
@eosclassicteam
I propose next version of pow testnet needs to remove diff bomb since it is bothering our workflow, we do not need higher blocktime for sure
ledgerwatch
@AlexeyAkhunov
I suggest to launch a temporary testnet just for core devs (like a DEV environment) to just see if there any obvious problems and do a bit of poking there. If that works, move it to Ropsten (UAT environment :) ). That obviously requires delaying Ropsten, and I actually thinks it sends a positive signal rather than negative (if this is a worry). And, if the worry is to start testing as soon as possible - by keeping Ropsten stable, rather than shaking all the users off, the quality of testing will be better, even though it will start later
Martin Holst Swende
@holiman
Ok. I'm fine with either. I can live with postponing it, but we need a decision now
We're about to make a release
Wei Tang
@sorpaas
TBH, if there're still miners running older version of Ropsten, then technically we already have two networks after the split.
So as long as people are still mining, I don't think it will actually matter a lot to @LefterisJP's workflow -- there may be higher blocktime variance, and his/her transactions may get confirmed on another chain, but that's all.
Martin Holst Swende
@holiman
Yes, @veox pointed that out too
Continuing to run the pre-fork Ropsten is also an option.
ledgerwatch
@AlexeyAkhunov
@holiman Let me offer you a carrot - I will do more code reviews of CREATE2 before the Ropsten fork if you decide to postpone :)
Martin Holst Swende
@holiman
It's not like it's up to me to decide
ledgerwatch
@AlexeyAkhunov
who?
Péter Szilágyi
@karalabe
We need a decision together with @5chdn and Parity
I don't care either way, as long as Geth and Parity agrees on the same thing
Martin Holst Swende
@holiman
I agree
@5chdn @folsen call it please
Fredrik Harrysson
@folsen
I'm fine with postponing
Martin Holst Swende
@holiman
Ok, not in this release then
Péter Szilágyi
@karalabe
4230000?
or do we want to call it off altogether for now?
Fredrik Harrysson
@folsen
a target is always good IMO
ledgerwatch
@AlexeyAkhunov
how much time does it require to get the tests regenerated and run the new versions of geth and parity in hive, for example?
and aleph, of course
EOS Classic
@eosclassicteam
Why don't we choose 4,444,444 it is a cool number @5chdn will like it :smile:
Or an alternative 4,567,890
ledgerwatch
@AlexeyAkhunov
it needs to be not too far in the future to start testing ASAP, but not too near so that pre-testnet things can be done
4230000 is 10 days from now, which is 14th of October
Sunday
Péter Szilágyi
@karalabe
pushing it much more forward will start to hit devcon
we really don't want to consensus fix the week before devcon
EOS Classic
@eosclassicteam
And everyone can learn about hardfork at devcon :smile:
Péter Szilágyi
@karalabe
So @folsen , any block number you feel comfortable with?
Fredrik Harrysson
@folsen
I have literally nothing to back this up with, but 10 days from now seems plenty to me

we really don't want to consensus fix the week before devcon

I wholeheartedly agree with this

Péter Szilágyi
@karalabe
Ok, should I make a twitter announcement that we'll postpone to 4.23M ? @holiman @LefterisJP @AlexeyAkhunov seems good to you?
ledgerwatch
@AlexeyAkhunov
@karalabe It is good to me, from my side I will have some time to do more reviews. Will the hive with the new versions be able to be running by then?
Péter Szilágyi
@karalabe
I hope so
Lefteris Karapetsas
@LefterisJP
Thank you
Martin Holst Swende
@holiman
:+1:

Will the hive with the new versions be able to be running by then?

Hive always runs on latest code, and latest master on tests.

See https://gitter.im/ethereum/tests for info about testing in particular. Afaik, there are a lot of changes not yet merged to master
Eth-Gitter-Bridge
@Eth-Gitter-Bridge
[W Dimitry] the main cahnges are at regenerate all tests PR
5chdn
@5chdn
what's the ETA of ropsten HF?
nvm, it's Sunday, October 14, 2018 - 5:16:14 pm UTC
Abdullah Rangoonwala (Absence)
@AbsenceAbdullah_twitter
Alright. By Q2 2019, I'm planning to have my product in works. This product will allow Ethereum to be spent natively in 30 mil locations however, we have concerns on ethereum scaling. Visa does about 100mil transactions per day and we are hoping to get to 1 mil by q2 2019. The ethereum network is currently unable to do that however shasper sounds great for something like this. When all partnerships are signed, we will announce the ICO for our project. Within 2 months of that ICO we will launch our project and we need the ethereum network to cope. What I'm saying is, we need scaling solutions fast because I don't want the ether network clogging up.
If its possible, we need to scale by Q2 2019
Kirill Pimenov
@kirushik
@AbsenceAbdullah_twitter what's you project is about? what are the points? Maybe running it on a PoA sidechain will do? 10^6 transactions per day is certainly feasible for a PoA network right away.
Abdullah Rangoonwala (Absence)
@AbsenceAbdullah_twitter
Can't say much until partnerships are fully signed but its a way to spend ethereum natively at 30 mil locations. I'll have a look at PoA, thanks
Would PoA allow users to spend Ethereum
5chdn
@5chdn
You could easily create an ETH-2-way-peg token on the sidechain, like poa.network did