These are chat archives for ethereum/homestead-guide

Mar 2016
Brooks Boyd
@MidnightLightning
Mar 18 2016 16:36
Hey all! For some of the cleanup I started in #171, @bobsummerwill mentioned the canonical term should now be "dapp", though I see in the glossary there's still mention of "Đapp" as a alternate form. Is the pronunciation of dapp "eth-app"? Do we need to keep Đapp around if it's not to be used anymore? And if Đapp is dropped, is the info about "Eth" (Đ) in general needed (is ĐEV still going to use it, or will that be dropped too)?
"ĐEV" is now only mentioned in the glossary now; does it need to be mentioned at all? Or added elsewhere where appropriate?
Hudson Jameson
@Souptacular
Mar 18 2016 16:38
I would keep Đapp and ĐEV in the glossary because they are still used pretty frequently outside of the guide and people may need to know why the letters have lines through them
Bob Summerwill
@bobsummerwill
Mar 18 2016 17:55
I pronounce Đapp as DAPP, and I've never heard anybody say ETH-APP.
Even though that is what the glossary says, I'm sure that just about everybody in the world (as was the case for me) is pretty ignorant of the origin of Đ, and of Ξ, and only use them "because they look cool". I think it is reasonable to record that trivia in the glossary.
Hudson Jameson
@Souptacular
Mar 18 2016 18:41
I asked Vitalik about the origin of the Đ, whether it meant it was pronounced eth-app or D-app, and he said it is "deliberately ambiguous :)" as far as the "real or official" meaning
So yeah having it in the glossary as trivia is good, but outside of the glossary I would say lets stick with Dapp
@zelig @hughlang opinions on this? It's not really an issue, just wondering how you guys pronounce it :P
hughlang
@hughlang
Mar 18 2016 18:43
agree that having it as trivia is fine, but never in use elsewhere. Just plain Dapp or dapp is fine
Omkara
@0mkara
Mar 18 2016 18:43
All pronounced it as Dapp(D-app) on last devcon right ?
Brooks Boyd
@MidnightLightning
Mar 18 2016 19:07
@0mkara: Phonetically as "dee-app", or "dap" (like 'dapple')?
Bob Summerwill
@bobsummerwill
Mar 18 2016 19:36
DAPPLE
Like Clap
Brooks Boyd
@MidnightLightning
Mar 18 2016 19:38
Lap, rap, zap, dapp. Got it!
Omkara
@0mkara
Mar 18 2016 19:40
:laughing:
Brooks Boyd
@MidnightLightning
Mar 18 2016 20:16
@bobsummerwill: regarding your last comment on #171, isn't the whole point of a pull request merging into master is that there aren't a lot of commits in master after the merge? It doesn't matter how many commits the branch has; when you merge into master, master only gets one new commit.
Or am I completely missing what you're trying to say?
(Figured I'd follow-up here rather than more back-and-forth in the comments there)
Bob Summerwill
@bobsummerwill
Mar 18 2016 20:45
Correct. I was mixing my own head up. So, yeah, as long as the commits post-merge are squashed we should be good. Do you think we're there?
Brooks Boyd
@MidnightLightning
Mar 18 2016 20:45
Is it a project policy to squash side branches like that? I've not run into the need for that before, so just curious.
Bob Summerwill
@bobsummerwill
Mar 18 2016 20:50
It just makes the history nicer. Most of the interim steps to iterate to a "good PR" of of no lasting value and are just noise in the history. Not sure that all the sub-projects within Ethereum are working the same way, but on the Go and C++ teams, that is certainly the ongoing practice. Everything comes into the project as a PR. No direct commits. All "cleaned up" prior to submission.
Brooks Boyd
@MidnightLightning
Mar 18 2016 20:57
Okay, that's squashed now.
For "makes the history nicer" I guess you're assuming people are viewing all branches most of the time, rather than focusing on just master then. I agree for this one there's not much value to the iterative history, though especially if there's discussion in a comment thread, seeing which updates went after which comments can be very helpful. Though that's much more true for an application rather than documentation updates.
Bob Summerwill
@bobsummerwill
Mar 18 2016 21:09
No, I'm talking about the history which ends up on master. If there is a single commit for each PR that is nicer than a PR which drags in all the interim steps. I find that most people make changes in a branch which is then deleted when the PR has been merged.
Let me look if we can get this merged and done with, and stop talking about it :-)
BOOM! Done.
How would you like to be credited, @MidnightLightning? I'll do that now.
With a real name?
Brooks Boyd
@MidnightLightning
Mar 18 2016 21:13
Credited where?
Brooks Boyd
@MidnightLightning
Mar 18 2016 21:14
Oh sure, "Brooks Boyd", linking to my GitHub profile would be grand. Thanks!
Actually, a link to my OneName profile, since this is a crypto-community: https://onename.com/midnight
Bob Summerwill
@bobsummerwill
Mar 18 2016 21:22
Great - so all of those changes have been landed in ethereum/homestead-guide@1e3dab8 and your name is now in the Contributors section. Thanks for persisting and doing all that fix-up :-) @MidnightLightning
Brooks Boyd
@MidnightLightning
Mar 18 2016 21:22
:rocket:
Bob Summerwill
@bobsummerwill
Mar 18 2016 21:24
Indeed!
Brooks Boyd
@MidnightLightning
Mar 18 2016 21:25
And now off to browse/post more questions on the Ethereum StackExchange to see if I really have my head on straight understanding this Global Computer!
hughlang
@hughlang
Mar 18 2016 21:25
that’s awesome
Bob Summerwill
@bobsummerwill
Mar 18 2016 21:28
Have at it, @MidnightLightning! Good to have you here.
hughlang
@hughlang
Mar 18 2016 21:28
yes, heroic work
Brooks Boyd
@MidnightLightning
Mar 18 2016 21:29
Thanks; glad to be able to help out! Once I've got my head around it, I may be able to contribute to app code as well, since I've worked on several Bitcoin, Namecoin, and BitMessage codebases previously.