These are chat archives for ethereum/tutorials

Mar 2016
zach-is-my-name
@zach-is-my-name
Mar 14 2016 01:53
Further: Same section, Constructor part >> "this is a special, startup function that runs only once and only once" (redundant)
Semantically, you probably want "only once and once only"
Alex Van de Sande
@alexvandesande
Mar 14 2016 02:01
@zach-is-my-name thanks for the corrections. Could you do me a favor? Click the button "improve this page" on the bottom and make these changes there and I'll publish them.
zach-is-my-name
@zach-is-my-name
Mar 14 2016 02:22
This message was deleted
Coinbuddy
@Coinbuddy
Mar 14 2016 06:53
hi
I want to make a decentralized voting platform, how ethereum can help me?
Roman Mandeleil
@romanman
Mar 14 2016 09:33
anybody , the dao for unicorns is
a modified Congress contract ?
cdwong
@cdwong
Mar 14 2016 17:24
I have some questions about Ethereum Wallet...
Alex Van de Sande
@alexvandesande
Mar 14 2016 17:28
@cdwong sure, what is it?
cdwong
@cdwong
Mar 14 2016 17:28
  1. I am using the Testnet to create a contract (using the "token" source code), and after hitting the deploy button last night, it is still showing "Creating contract" with "0/12 confirmation" now
  1. When "Watch Contract", there is a field "JSON INTERFACE", is it the same as the abiDefinition of a contract?
  1. How do I connect with the Testnet or real Ethereum network using geth command?
cdwong
@cdwong
Mar 14 2016 17:34
Those are the questions I have now, please comment
Alex Van de Sande
@alexvandesande
Mar 14 2016 17:44
1) It can be either because you are paying a fee too low or because no one is mining at the testnet. Try mining yourself
2) yes
cdwong
@cdwong
Mar 14 2016 17:47
Thanks! Regarding Question #3, is there a simple answer to it? For example, I am using this command line for my server to get on a test network of my own:geth --datadir testdata --networkid 123 --nodiscover --maxpeers 0 console
Can I just change the networkid parameter to the one your TESTNET or real Ethereum network uses, as simple as that?
and of course I have to take out the "--nodiscover --maxpeers 0" parameters
Alex Van de Sande
@alexvandesande
Mar 14 2016 18:12
geth —testnet should do the trick
cdwong
@cdwong
Mar 14 2016 18:21
Thanks. One last question: Is the account I created using Ethereum Wallet a real Ether account for storing and receiving and sending real Ether currency, even though right now I am using it to store and send and receive fake Ether money? I mean can I ask people to send real Ether to my Ethereum Wallet account by giving them the address, if so, how do we distinguish what is real and what is fake Ether in this case?