These are chat archives for ethereum/tutorials

Nov 2017
cnrmck
@cnrmck
Nov 29 2017 03:33
Hello all, I recently launched my first token (just to play with) and unusually I am unable to access the admin panel in Mist talked about in the tutorial. Any thoughts?
Ruslan Nikolaev
@nikolaevra
Nov 29 2017 05:06
what is the best ethereum wallet out there?
Gani Padela
@padelagani
Nov 29 2017 07:30
I want to use tokens as points which can be shared as well. Does account users who has token requires actual ethers if they want to transfer their points (tokens) to another user ?
phalexo
@phalexo
Nov 29 2017 13:54
@padelagani Yes, they have to pay for gas.
Fred Nikgohar
@robofred
Nov 29 2017 18:06
Newbie question: i'm trying to run the Crowdsource dapp using the code on eth.org. The first step is to Deploy a coin (i've set Supply, Name, etc), but I cannot deploy. I'm in Testnet. However, I have zero ethereums. I don't see any error messages other than the fact I have zero ETHs. Is this the issue?
Keno Leon
@KenoLeon
Nov 29 2017 18:24
@robofredThat could be it, you need Ether to deploy, there are transaction costs involved when creating contracts.
Fred Nikgohar
@robofred
Nov 29 2017 18:50
@KenoLeon even if i'm just testing? In Testnet mode?
Keno Leon
@KenoLeon
Nov 29 2017 18:51
@robofred Yes, there are faucets for you to request and get test ether, I am on/recommend kovan.
Keno Leon
@KenoLeon
Nov 29 2017 20:13
@randomguy234 ~30Gb for the fast one, if you are not on SSD that might also penalize you, depending on your needs a light client/wallet might be better.
MonkeyPenny
@MonkeyPenny
Nov 29 2017 21:41
Coinbase always tells me to repeatedly enter multiple phone #s (it verifies the phone and then it literally un-verifies it and says 'wrong token' - and signs me out - and then it says the token isn't valid - if I try to put the same phone # in it says they already have that phone # TF How the __ do i contact these ppl
MonkeyPenny
@MonkeyPenny
Nov 29 2017 21:49
It just sent me a new code / token to my phone which I typed in and it said was wrong again 2x
Marcos Allende López
@AllendeMarcos
Nov 29 2017 21:54
Hi. When you deploy a private network and start mining to get ether, what are you really mining? What are those blocks?
MonkeyPenny
@MonkeyPenny
Nov 29 2017 21:58
I think the system is intelligently designed to perpetuate itself (not coinbase obv. but Blockchain) so the only way to mine is to record transactions / requests automatically and put them through a computing mechanism that generates a number that can't be faked, and has a very small likelihood (because the number must fit a certain algorithm or test - like it must have a certain number of zeros beore it) that you will make lots of money by getting a number that checks out.
Is there anyone who understands the system really well who can talk to me- I understand the overall economy quite well but I'm not a coder so I can't figure out the tech stuff quickly by myself (just someone who's used it who 'gets it' would be nice. We could chat here I guess it seems everyone has similar questions and nobody responds one billionth as fast as a google search (here) typically
Marcos Allende López
@AllendeMarcos
Nov 29 2017 22:07
@MonkeyPenny I am going to publish tomorrow morning an article explaining very detailed how mining works and what are the differences between private and public blockchains. I will send you the link. Regarding my doubt with the private network, what I can't understand is what are you mining if you are in a private network.
So far I have been coding in Hyperledger and now I'am beginning with Ethereum
MonkeyPenny
@MonkeyPenny
Nov 29 2017 22:13
Oh nice yeah I'd love to see that - I recently published an economic article and Ether seems more promising even than mimicking the Billionaire's stock moves- I'm not mining it yet, my account can receive Ether but not mine - it has only a couple hundred in it
  • Keiser and Ron Paul etc say the dollar is about to crash - and when that happens the banks will seize money (why my money is in credit union) but this seems an even safer method
Robert Kiyosaki (Rich Dad Poor Dad) and Tony Robbins (Money: Master the Game) -2 of the top business books - both say the dollar must crash and that's obvious
The banks can seize all money (too big to fail) kinda like the great depression which is a problem - which is why Ether and Bitcoin being decentralized is so important
MonkeyPenny
@MonkeyPenny
Nov 29 2017 22:23
@AllendeMarcos forgot to send the response specifically to you - u get it?