These are chat archives for exceptionless/Discuss

Mar 2015
Mar 27 2015 00:59
Ok here so next problem, when I try to oauth I end up getting POST https://exceptionless.mydomain.com/api/v2/auth/google 405 (Method Not Allowed)
Mar 27 2015 01:06
also, it doesn't really say, but is base_url supposed to point at the front end or the api bit?
Because if I point at the backend I endup with cross site scripting issues...maybe it's a config thing I haven't figured out yet
Mar 27 2015 01:13
alright got it
holy crap that was rough...I guess compared to some other things it's not so bad, just gets a little ambiguious with those two seperate pieces and the lack of documentation..it's not really complicated, just takes a bit if u have no idea what you're doing
Mar 27 2015 01:33
Sorry, any tips for things we can make better? Just documentation?
Mar 27 2015 01:45
Yeah just a step by step walkthrough I suppose
Like one thing that was confusing was the base_url setting
it was kind of ambiguous between pieces...I mean after you kind of get it it makes sense, but it's not obvious if you don't get the whole picture.
Mar 27 2015 01:46
Yeah, it's a priority for us to make self hosting really easy to setup.
Just haven't had the time yet. But we want it to be super easy.
Mar 27 2015 02:47
The exceptionless.log4net dll refuses to copy to the output directory on build...has anyone else reported that?
Mar 27 2015 02:49
No, we haven't seen that behavior... what is happening?
you are just building the clients?
Mar 27 2015 02:49
have a .net 4.5 wpf app
Mar 27 2015 02:49
added a ref from nuget?
Mar 27 2015 02:50
and just nuget in that log4net package, and it keeps failing to output on build
Mar 27 2015 02:50
hrmm... I tried it the other day.
Mar 27 2015 02:50
It's almost like there's a .net or bitness incompatibility, but it doesn't seem like it
removed, cleaned, nuget it back in, add the line var n = new Exceptionless.Log4net.ExceptionlessAppender();, build the project, and it fails saying it can't find the Exceptionless.Log4Net namespace
Mar 27 2015 02:51
hrmm
I am checking..
Mar 27 2015 02:51
yeah...kk
Mar 27 2015 03:00
yep, I am seeing the same thing and there is no info to go on... hrmm..
think I know what the issue is...
yep, it was targetting .net 4.5.1 I just changed it to target .net 4
it will get deployed to nuget shortly.
Mar 27 2015 03:07
ok thanks a bunch
Mar 27 2015 03:07
You can fix it now if you want to target 4.5.1
Mar 27 2015 13:42
@kellyelton How do you feel that we can make the setup easier? I get having a step by step install doc in the repo is needed as well as a video but anything else?
@kellyelton @ejsmith, I'm under the assumption from some recent support cases that people expect us to list how to install everything (mongo, elastic, redis) and even configure acls on azure.. I think this is outside the scope of what we provide but we should make it easy to find those install docs for (mongo, elastic, redis), docker images would help. What are your thoughts. We want to make setup a breeze
Mar 27 2015 13:45
Yes, we are not going to do that. What we are gonna do is make it dead simple to get the app running locally and provide information on how to configure the app.
Mar 27 2015 13:45
@ejsmith should we setup a wiki on github for these things (install) or have it be a md document.
yeah
Mar 27 2015 13:46
We can point to articles about how to setup other things.
Probably just a section in the docs.
but I am not interested in doing anything until we make the setup process better.
Mar 27 2015 13:46
yeah
Mar 27 2015 13:47
I want to simplify things as much as possible.
like a single release archive... you extract it and run a powershell file and it works.
Mar 27 2015 13:48
yeah
Mar 27 2015 13:48
single release archive that includes both the server and ui projects.
Mar 27 2015 13:48
also have to think that powershell is limited to windows tho
and we are almost cross plat ( a mono issue with signalr right now) or will be when vnext is released
Mar 27 2015 13:49
not gonna worry about that yet... we really aren't that close to being cross plat because we still have to make sure all the libs we are using work on linux and we need to migrate to vnext.
at that point we can make something that works on that platform and it would most likely be different than the one on windows anyway.
just like all the vnext stuff... there is a bat file and a .sh version.
there isn't really anything that works easily on both platforms.
would be sweet if they made a version of powershell that worked on both platforms.
Mar 27 2015 13:51
yeah
I agree
Mar 27 2015 13:51
I think they may be doing that because I saw they were working on a core version of powershell that works on .net core.
but anyway... we are only focused on windows for now.
Mar 27 2015 14:04
yeah
could also be what that guy was telling me Wintellect/WintellectPowerShell#3
"JohnWintellect commented 7 days ago
I will in a little bit. Microsoft is working on some things related to PowerShell module publishing that should be announced in a little bit."
would be sweet to have it xplat and then have a choco repo (which they have with their new delivery system they build that has a chocolatey provider)
Pawel Kasperek
@silentnull
Mar 27 2015 15:05
From me experience with self-hosting Exceptionless, the most problems isn't with installation additional applications (Elasticsearch, Mongo, Redis, etc.) , but I had problems with correctly setting IIS, hosting API and UI in difference folders and URLs, setting OAuth, changes for send notifications emails, etc. Generally , now in .NET you can use PowerShell (WintellectPowerShell, Psake), MSBuild or maybe Fake - I use it in my projects, because is possible run it on Mono.
Mar 27 2015 15:10
Yeah, currently it’s two different websites and each needs to be configured to talk to each other. I think that is a bit confusing right now
What changes did you end up making to the web.config?
Pawel Kasperek
@silentnull
Mar 27 2015 16:33
I need add machine key, change URLs , remove URL rewrite in UI web.config, change settings to SMTP... and of course I must change permission to applications pool. I think that configuration on IIS is always problematic, sometimes difficault, and maybe better will be creating self-hosted with Owin ?
Now, I have problem with send emails. Now I have problem with correctly create URL to verify an user inside in mail.
Mar 27 2015 16:55
Yeah, for the next release I want to simplify all of that
shouldn’t of included url rewrite in hindsight
@silentnull, it’s not working?
exceptionless/Exceptionless#72
we had this issue but it was only ui related
Pawel Kasperek
@silentnull
Mar 27 2015 17:02
Yes, I fixed it in my private fork. I think that you will be going to self-hosted with Owin. In future will possible simple integration Owin with IIS - this is link https://github.com/aspnet/HttpAbstractions/blob/dev/src/Microsoft.AspNet.Owin/OwinExtensions.cs
Mar 27 2015 17:04
Would you mind sending us a pr?
yeah, we were actually using helios in pre beta, but ms dropped it so we went back to non helios
Would be nice to host this anywhere. Then I’d never have to boot into windows :)
Mar 27 2015 18:49
OWIN is pretty much getting deprecated. We will get this running on vnext and that will change a lot of this stuff and make it easier and make it possible to run xplat.
Mar 27 2015 20:26
It seems like setting up mongo redis and elastic search wasn't so bad
the parts that threw me for a loop was
a) I assumed the Exceptionless repo was the only front facing piece, didn't realize until later that Exceptionless.UI was the interface. The backends 'Login' link linked to your guyses hosted service, so I assumed after that that the front end was hosted and somehow did api calls back to my back end
b) SSL requirements(UI forces ssl for example)
c) the usage of BASE_URL being ambiguous
uhmm...what else
A really did a huge number on me honestly
I also thinkt hat in the client docs there are certain places (I wish I could quote off the top of my head here) where there was no mention of how you configure it for hosted, which was slightly different
As well as no possible idea(outside of being lucky that I saw it in chat here) how authentication worked and how to set it up
Mar 27 2015 20:32
on a side note, it would be nice to have an option to restrict sign ups in certain ways...I'm sure I'm not the only one to mention this...but like even by domain name on email accounts.
I wouldn't have had a clue had I not lucked out and saw someone in here explain it
(the authentication bit)
Oh and another feature request(if you want I can turn these into tickets) would be that if you specify a blank client id for OAuth providers, it doesn't show their icon on the login screen
and maybe even the ability to only use an oauthprovider(like we use google apps for buisness here, would be nice to restrict by our domain name, and only let people auth using google)
Mar 27 2015 20:44
I appreciate though how easy it was to get the front end running in IIS
the node.js part
Mar 27 2015 20:48
I just created an issue here: exceptionless/Exceptionless#77
if you could add your comments that would be greatly appreciated
There is a setting you can add to the web.config to disable signups
too be honest we didn’t think people would use oauth to login besides us and as such the enable account creation may only work on local signups
Mar 27 2015 20:49
oh nice, so then you can only use oath?
Mar 27 2015 20:49
yeah, that would be a nice rquest can you add that to the ui projects issue tracker to not show them if they are defined
@kellyelton I’m really not sure how everyone thinks it’s a node app hehe. It’s just angular
well typically for self hosted I’ve only ever used login/pass on every service i’ve used self hosted
I mean we didn’t disable it but we left those config settings out server side (in the web.config) because we didn’t want extra things for people to setup
Mar 27 2015 20:52
It's not a node app? oh lol, I'm not sure either
Maybe there's a doc somewhere explaining how to host it on node.js?
I remember reading something
ohhh, on your front end UI page
there's stuff about grunt and node js
Mar 27 2015 20:54
oh
that’s just the build process if you want to do dev
Mar 27 2015 20:54
I honestly thought that I needed to clone that and then install node.js and then run all of that and then dump it to self host
Mar 27 2015 20:54
yeah you are not the first
I should add a note that says this is for dev only
Mar 27 2015 20:54
that part was a little ambigious as well, until I made my way back to the readme page and saw the download package
Mar 27 2015 20:54
or should i move the hosted part up
Mar 27 2015 20:56
Maybe the later, I'd think that devs would take the time and read everything. People self hosting just want to pop in and pop out.
I think the problem is those readme's are sometimes for end users, and sometimes for developers, so It's hard to know for sure when you read what audience they're targeting
Like when you lookup a library on github, the readme is really most ly for the end user using the library, and not so much contributors...But that's not always the case either
Mar 27 2015 20:58
yeah
exactly
I really appreciate your feedback
I just made a commit (will push soon) to add a default web.config setting
Mar 27 2015 20:59
Alright, yeah for sure, glad I could help
Mar 27 2015 21:06
sigh
now the question is how can we remove the web.config settings
but keep them on automated deploy without adding a bunch of crap to the deploy process
Mar 27 2015 21:11
@kellyelton question
do you think this would help: Getting Started (For Development)
just kinda stinks to muddy that up
Mar 27 2015 21:26
Yeah maybe
I think some repos have a contributors.md file
thought I dont' know if that's the same purpose
Mar 27 2015 22:12
we have one of those in the main repo
Mar 27 2015 22:28
right on...Yeah I can understand how this would be tough, I always feel a bit envious of software that has super tight docs. It's so hard to see things as a new user.