Where communities thrive


  • Join over 1.5M+ people
  • Join over 100K+ communities
  • Free without limits
  • Create your own community
People
Repo info
Activity
Leonardo Uieda
@leouieda

Ideally, this would (eventually) develop into something bigger than just gravity/ellipsoid constants.

That is a good point! I do think this can be something useful for other projects. I'm pretty much convinced that this should be done. Just waiting to see if anyone has objections.

In the future, it is probable that I will base of the Grid classes off of xarray DataArrays, but this will have to wait.

This might be a useful reference for doing that: http://xarray.pydata.org/en/stable/internals.html#extending-xarray It could live parallel to the current SHGrid class while it's being deprecated

Leonardo Uieda
@leouieda
By the way, we have a new Slack channel for these discussions. Don't know if it'll be better than gitter and I'll still monitor gitter. If you're interested, here is the invitation link https://join.slack.com/t/fatiando/shared_invite/enQtNzY4NDQ3ODQwNDk4LTc5MTU5OWNkNTczMDY4NjcyNjcyZTU0Y2I3MDQ0NWUwMmEzMTBkNmVjNTExMGZkMjA0YzM1OGYyMzZlMDk3YTU
markwieczorek
@MarkWieczorek
Thanks. for the constants, I guess we just need to come up with a name, and then I can create the repo. I'm at a loss of ideas.
Thanks for the slack invite. An alternative that is just getting started is keybase, but it might not have all the functionality of slack yet.
Leonardo Uieda
@leouieda
Attention Pooch users: We're dropping Python 2.7 support for the next release (see fatiando/pooch#100). Any objections? We can also wait for 1 more release.
Leonardo Uieda
@leouieda
Here are some tentative plans for the next couple of Pooch releases. I'd appreciate some feedback: fatiando/pooch#105
Leonardo Uieda
@leouieda
Pooch v0.6.0 is out! This will be the last version to support Python 2.7 https://www.fatiando.org/pooch/v0.6.0/changes.html#version-0-6-0
Jeremy Menzer
@jgmenzer
image.png
Hey All, a question for the older fatiando regarding the PrismRelief function. I want to double check I have the reference level set correctly, as I am trying to build a model of equivalently a half sphere (concave down). With the top of the model at 0.5 m below ground surface and the bottom of the half sphere at 0.65 m below ground surface. To do this properly my ref value would be 0.5 and all z values of nodes would be greater than 0.5 correct? I add a quick sketch.
Leonardo Uieda
@leouieda
Hi @jgmenzer that sounds right to me. The zref is a flat surface (like 0 elevation for topography) so this makes sense to me.
Jeremy Menzer
@jgmenzer
Hey @leouieda, thanks for confirming, that's what I was thinking but you never know.
Felipe LC
@FelipeLC_gitlab

Hello all, I'm newbie with a fresh installation of Verde. After install like recommended in the official page, I downloaded two examples (distance_mask and scipygridder) and I tried to run them. Sadly I received the same error in these attempts: "TypeError: _pcolorargs() got an unexpected keyword argument 'allmatch' ".

I'm running python 3.8, but I don't know if here is the best place to get help with this issue. I'll be grateful if you can guide me. Thanks !!

Mark Wieczorek
@mark-wieczorek:matrix.org
[m]
To help with centralizing the discussion, I just bridged the Gitter channel to the slack general channel. As gitter is part of matrix, this means anyone on gitter-matrix-slack should see the same thing.
Richard Scott
@_slack_fatiando_U0156QCM6AH:matrix.org
[m]
Sounds sensible Leo
_slack_fatiando_BMV8NH8ET
@_slack_fatiando_BMV8NH8ET:matrix.org
[m]
Proposal: Centralise the discussion in #general and #random and archive other channels.
Proposal: Move to the Software Underground slack (https://softwareunderground.org). This workspace will be mirrored on Matrix for a while before shutting down. New users will be directed to SwUng instead.
leouieda
@_slack_fatiando_UMSRSPEMA:matrix.org
[m]

πŸ“£ Alright @room: I created 2 anonymous polls to gather your opinions on centralising to a single channel and moving to the Software Underground Slack. Please cast your votes by the end of this week.

Any arguments in favour or against are welcome. Here is a summary of the main points.

Advantages:

  • 1 channel makes it easier to follow and our channels are that busy anyway
  • SwUng is a paid slack workspace so we don't lose past conversations
  • Many of us are already on SwUng so that makes it one less Slack to keep track
  • Easier to get people signed up after events like Transform
  • Better communication with other geoscience open-source projects (many are already on SwUng)

Disadvantages:

  • With 1 channel, you may see a few messages about projects you don't care about
  • Lose the messages we have here (though we won't delete this workspace)
  • Those not on SwUng will need to register for their Slack (it's free)
  • We can lose a few members along the way who won't register for a new account
2 replies
leouieda
@_slack_fatiando_UMSRSPEMA:matrix.org
[m]

:point_up: Edit: > <undefined> πŸ“£ Alright @here: I created 2 anonymous polls to gather your opinions on centralising to a single channel and moving to the Software Underground Slack. Please cast your votes by the end of this week.

Any arguments in favour or against are welcome. Here is a summary of the main points.

Advantages:

  • 1 channel makes it easier to follow and our channels are not that busy anyway
  • SwUng is a paid slack workspace so we don't lose past conversations
  • Many of us are already on SwUng so that makes it one less Slack to keep track
  • Easier to get people signed up after events like Transform
  • Better communication with other geoscience open-source projects (many are already on SwUng)

Disadvantages:

  • With 1 channel, you may see a few messages about projects you don't care about
  • Lose the messages we have here (though we won't delete this workspace)
  • Those not on SwUng will need to register for their Slack (it's free)
  • We can lose a few members along the way who won't register for a new account
markwieczorek
@MarkWieczorek
Personally, I think that having 1 channel per github project is useful. Even if I'm not very active here, from time to time, I do read what has been posted about 1 or 2 projects, and this would be hard to do if everything was in a single channel.
1 reply
One option is to have a single #general room that is on SWUNG, Matrix, and Gitter (and maybe here too, if you can bridge two slack channels to a single matrix room...). Then, you could keep the other channels in this slack forum and/or matrix.
1 reply
Another option would be to see if SWUNG is ok with creating more than one fatiando channel (i.e., 1 per github project).
In any case, the key to making this all work is to have some very clear and accessible info about where to find the relevant channels.
1 reply
Mark Wieczorek
@mark-wieczorek:matrix.org
[m]
Also, just for info: SWUNG has a huge number of rooms, some with a hierarchical naming scheme. I can't imaging creating 7 channels like "fatiando-boule" would be a problem. If you wanted to slim down the number of rooms, you could get rid of random and github-activity.
3 replies
Thomas Martin
@_slack_fatiando_U022GF9FVLL:matrix.org
[m]
re-creating this workflow, where would the old tools from from fatiando.gravmag import transform be today?
_slack_fatiando_UMFSBQVMG
@_slack_fatiando_UMFSBQVMG:matrix.org
[m]
The roadmap for the next stages of Harmonica would be to implement most of the FFT methods and filters. But now we would like to make use of xrft for managing FFTs instead of handling them through Numpy directly. I think a lot of people are waiting for them to be out. I'm thinking that we should make a list of what functions or methods should be implemented first and also to draft some possible designs.
1 reply
leouieda
@_slack_fatiando_UMSRSPEMA:matrix.org
[m]
Hi everyone, please consider attending the first SwUng Dev summit next month: https://twitter.com/swung_org/status/1398056333560197122|https://twitter.com/swung_org/status/1398056333560197122
Akash Debnath
@_slack_fatiando_U01TP4VEPUJ:matrix.org
[m]
Hi everyone. I am using fatiando for 3D gravity modeling ,depth ranges 200-800 km and the gravity anomaly for the model is pretty close to the actual gravity anomaly of that region. But in my model, I have taken several anomalous body which have density contrast ranges 3-15 kg/m3. is that density contrast range acceptable for the 3D gravity modeling? If anyone know about that please guide me, it would be very helpful . Thank you.
10 replies
leouieda
@_slack_fatiando_UMSRSPEMA:matrix.org
[m]
That was probably just a typo in the slides.
1 reply
leouieda
@_slack_fatiando_UMSRSPEMA:matrix.org
[m]
I could use some feedback on this PR that is redesigning the Pooch docs: fatiando/pooch#237 Particularly from users who aren't super familiar with the project. For reference, this is the old version: https://www.fatiando.org/pooch/dev/
20 replies
Mark Wieczorek
@mark-wieczorek:matrix.org
[m]
I like the new theme. But have you look at Jupyter books? (I think that this is based on the pydata theme) I've been thinking of redoing my docs with this...
leouieda
@_slack_fatiando_UMSRSPEMA:matrix.org
[m]
Mark Wieczorek that's the theme I'm using. I quite like it. It's easy to use and does automatically a lot of the custom templating that we had for the read the docs theme.
leouieda
@_slack_fatiando_UMSRSPEMA:matrix.org
[m]

πŸ‘‹ Hello to all the new members who joined recently: Tom Schaap πŸŽ‰ (sorry if I missed anyone)

Please feel free to introduce yourselves to the group (if you want, of course). We're glad to have you onboard!

3 replies
leouieda
@_slack_fatiando_UMSRSPEMA:matrix.org
[m]

We're going to try out weekly Development Calls to discuss implementation, maintenance, etc. These are open to everyone and will be a bit more technical than our Community Calls but they are still open to everyone!

The calls will be on Fridays at 14:00 UTC. More information here: https://github.com/fatiando/meeting-notes#development-calls

Agustina
@_slack_fatiando_UQ5MQNEBH:matrix.org
[m]
Hello!
leouieda might not know... but XArray is using Pooch for his tutorials!
3 replies
Agustina
@_slack_fatiando_UQ5MQNEBH:matrix.org
[m]
:point_up: Edit: Hello!
leouieda might not know... but XArray is using Pooch for its tutorials!
leouieda
@_slack_fatiando_UMSRSPEMA:matrix.org
[m]
Pooch v1.4.0 is out featuring the new theme and docs layout: https://twitter.com/fatiandoaterra/status/1402569638492479488?s=20
Mark Wieczorek
@mark-wieczorek:matrix.org
[m]
Hi leouieda , I have a dumb question: What is the difference between jupyter books and executable books. Is the later just a slightly different theme? Or is there more to it.
3 replies
Mark Wieczorek
@mark-wieczorek:matrix.org
[m]
So, its better to start with Executable books? I only ask because when I looked into this, books was still in beta, and the documentation wasn't very complete. I think that they are out of beta now, so I should do some research...
(sorry about not threading all my replies. This is one thing that the element client doesn't do well...)
leouieda
@_slack_fatiando_UMSRSPEMA:matrix.org
[m]

Mark Wieczorek depends on what you are looking for. If you want to make a website/book out of a bunch of notebooks, then Jupyter Book is the way to go. If you’re looking for a new theme for docs, then sphinx-book-theme. I tried Jupyter Book a month ago and it works quite well. Probably the easiest way to tie together a bunch of notebooks into a website.

No worries about the threading πŸ™‚

santisoler
@_slack_fatiando_UMFSBQVMG:matrix.org
[m]

@room Just a friendly reminder that tomorrow we will have the first Development Call. They are open to everyone, so we hope to see you all!

We're going to try out weekly Development Calls to discuss implementation, maintenance, etc. These are open to everyone and will be a bit more technical than our Community Calls but they are still open to everyone!

The calls will be on Fridays at 14:00 UTC. More information here: https://github.com/fatiando/meeting-notes#development-calls

Craig Miller
@_slack_fatiando_UMGLPTLAW:matrix.org
[m]
If this is recorded I can catch up later, otherwise it's 2am 😴 πŸ˜‰ or can catch up in the notes
leouieda
@_slack_fatiando_UMSRSPEMA:matrix.org
[m]

πŸ˜† Sorry about that, Craig. We won't record but I'll try to keep good notes (feel free to leave comments or add items).

Out of curiosity, do you watch recordings of meetings like this (like the SimPEG ones)?

Craig Miller
@_slack_fatiando_UMGLPTLAW:matrix.org
[m]
I sometimes do, but usually just catch up on the notes
leouieda
@_slack_fatiando_UMSRSPEMA:matrix.org
[m]
Craig Miller yeah, I usually prefer to quickly scan the notes. It's hard to find 30-60 minutes to watch a meeting

🚨 Development Call is starting in a couple of minutes here: https://jitsi.softwareunderground.org/FatiandoATerraMeetings

Here is the agenda: https://hackmd.io/@fatiando/development-calls-2021

santisoler
@_slack_fatiando_UMFSBQVMG:matrix.org
[m]
@room Just a friendly reminder that today we will have another Development Call at 14:00 GMT. They are open to everyone, so we hope to see you all! You can find more information and meeting notes here: https://github.com/fatiando/meeting-notes#development-calls
1 reply