These are chat archives for fiji/fiji

Oct 2015
Ignacio Arganda-Carreras
@iarganda
Oct 20 2015 12:35
@ctrueden I have just created a new release for Trainable Segmentation and AnalzyeSkeleton but I don't manage to upload the new jars to Fiji. I've seen that the "Host" and "Directory on host" for the fiji update site are now empty. What do I need to add there? Sorry if this is an old question, I just run into the problem :P
Johannes Schindelin
@dscho
Oct 20 2015 12:39
@iarganda you probably switched machines, eh?
@iarganda AFAIR you need to set your Host to webdav:Iarganda (or whatever your user name is on http://fiji.sc/)
Ignacio Arganda-Carreras
@iarganda
Oct 20 2015 12:46
hello @dscho ! I didn't change the machine, that's what puzzles me. I tried with that host, URL http://update.fiji.sc and directory /var/www/update/ but it didn't work. Did i miss something important here?
Johannes Schindelin
@dscho
Oct 20 2015 12:52
Ah, right, this was not you changing the machine.
Somebody wanted to switch the URL from http://fiji.sc/update/ to http://update.fiji.sc/ and apparently that ship did not sail as smoothly as intended.
I have no idea how to fix it, though, other than switching the SSH host to webdav:Iarganda, sorry!
(I said Host earlier, but that is obviously incorrect...)
Curtis Rueden
@ctrueden
Oct 20 2015 12:56
@/all Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions on this?
Jean-Yves Tinevez
@tinevez
Oct 20 2015 13:13
@ctrueden It looks very good, and I don't see much to add. Except specifying the case for @tpietzsch to be the BDFL for imglib2?
Curtis Rueden
@ctrueden
Oct 20 2015 13:45
@tinevez Right, the Governance page currently documents who is in charge of the projects at the org level. As for how to generalize that... I think "Lead" covers it, for the most part. Doesn't encapsulate the idea of multiple Leads where one breaks ties, though, like ImgLib2 does.
Jan Brocher
@biovoxxel
Oct 20 2015 13:46
Potentially, a developer role: Contributer which could be people who added once domething but are not constantly involved in the project. Thinking of a kind of acknowlegment for them. But too many options are maybe only confusing.
I like how it looks like on yor list so far
Curtis Rueden
@ctrueden
Oct 20 2015 13:48
@biovoxxel Yeah, there is a "contributors" section in the Maven POM. The reason I don't mention it is because that list is for people who are accepting responsibility for something. A contributor has contributed code, but has no responsibility.
Responsibility, and authority. Contributors have neither, unless they wear one of those other hats in addition.
So as far as credit goes, they do get credit in both the Maven POM and the Git history.
The main goal of formalizing this is to better document on the wiki who the contact points are for each plugin. And to better automate the information about each plugin, so that it can scale better. Right now, people are manually updating things like "date and version of last release" as well as their lists of maintained plugins.
I'm going to have auto-generated templates for all that.
Jan Brocher
@biovoxxel
Oct 20 2015 14:02
Makes sense. Thanks for the clarification.
Jan Brocher
@biovoxxel
Oct 20 2015 14:08
Unrelated question: has anybody already tried the html2wiki extension. I tried to do a conversion for 1 user guide section with the standalone version (have to look up the link) but it very much sucked. I then tried a RegEx in notepad++ using macros. But eliminating all mistakes automatically was so far not really satisfying. Maybe, out of lag of knowledge, I'm using the gimp methods e ding up failing. But if anybody has a good suggestion for doing RegEx efficiently on html or wiki markup I am happy to hear about it
Curtis Rueden
@ctrueden
Oct 20 2015 14:30
@biovoxxel I am sorry I didn't try it yet. Sorry to hear that it didn't work well for you.
In fairness, regex is usually good enough. I recommend using vim with the interactive regex option turned on—helps to build them up more quickly.
Jean-Yves Tinevez
@tinevez
Oct 20 2015 15:44
I think it was discussed here: I have a ton of errors when I used maven with jdk8. Basically it fails when generating the javadocs.
Is this a known error? Do you recommend any workaround?
tpietzsch
@tpietzsch
Oct 20 2015 16:39
@tinevez my workarounds are a) to use java 7 or b) to fix the javadoc
a lot of the complaints are about email addresses formatted as
This message was deleted
This message was deleted
This message was deleted
<jy@x>
This should be &lt;jy@x&gt; with html entities for < and >

this:

find src -name *.java -exec sed -i '' -e 's/\(@author[^>]*\)<\([^>]*\)>/\1\&lt;\2\&gt;/g' {} \;

does it for all the occurrences

tpietzsch
@tpietzsch
Oct 20 2015 16:44
the rest of the complaints usually should be really fixed anyway (usually links to non-existing, e.g., outdated, classes and methods, etc.)
Jan Brocher
@biovoxxel
Oct 20 2015 17:23
@ctrueden thanks. Sorry for the late reply, was on the train
@tinevez Yeah, the Javadoc on Java 8 issue is known; discussed on this blog post. Colebourne is a cranky developer, but has some good technical suggestions. I was reluctant to implement any of them in pom-scijava though, since as @tpietzsch says we may actually want to fix all the javadoc issues. Maybe...
Jean-Yves Tinevez
@tinevez
Oct 20 2015 20:30
@tpietzsch @ctrueden ok thanks. I will fix them then. I guess it will lead to better java files (outdated class referenced in javadocs are still in the imports).
Ignacio Arganda-Carreras
@iarganda
Oct 20 2015 21:01
Thanks @ctrueden and @dscho ! I finally updated the jars :)