by

Where communities thrive


  • Join over 1.5M+ people
  • Join over 100K+ communities
  • Free without limits
  • Create your own community
People
Repo info
Activity
  • 00:39
    eloquence commented #3959
  • 00:38
    eloquence commented #3959
  • Aug 11 22:57
    eloquence commented #587
  • Aug 11 21:01
    rmol commented #3959
  • Aug 11 16:30
    emkll commented #5443
  • Aug 11 16:21
    eloquence edited #4768
  • Aug 11 16:05

    emkll on docs-clarify-contact-options

    (compare)

  • Aug 11 16:05

    emkll on develop

    Clarify that any team member ca… Merge pull request #5439 from f… (compare)

  • Aug 11 16:05
    emkll closed #5439
  • Aug 11 14:36

    kushaldas on develop

    Remove duplicated route Resolv… Merge pull request #5440 from f… (compare)

  • Aug 11 14:36
    kushaldas closed #5440
  • Aug 11 14:36
    kushaldas closed #5434
  • Aug 11 13:22

    kushaldas on develop

    Added instructions to update pu… Merge pull request #5441 from f… (compare)

  • Aug 11 13:22
    kushaldas closed #5441
  • Aug 11 12:18
    kushaldas commented #5443
  • Aug 11 10:20
    kushaldas synchronize #5443
  • Aug 11 10:20

    kushaldas on create_mod_wsgi_link_on_focal

    Creates a symlink to the .so fi… (compare)

  • Aug 11 01:04
    eloquence commented #3959
  • Aug 11 00:34
    eloquence commented #5441
  • Aug 10 13:08
    kushaldas commented #5443
Erik Moeller
@eloquence

Hello everyone! Our standup is in 5 minutes at the usual location:

https://meet.google.com/ekb-kkhf-mrk

Anyone is welcome to participate! Notes are taken on an Etherpad and will be moved to the GitHub wiki by the end of the day.

Erik Moeller
@eloquence

Hi folks, instead of standup, we'll kick off the day with sprint planning, starting in 5 minutes. You can find all the materials here:

https://pad.riseup.net/p/SecureDropSprint53

We'll be meeting here as usual:

https://meet.google.com/ekb-kkhf-mrk

Conor Schaefer
@conorsch
that was a pretty snappy sprint planning meeting, thanks @eloquence for organizing :smiley:
Erik Moeller
@eloquence
awesome, thanks y'all :)
Erik Moeller
@eloquence
Notes from today's meeting are now also here. Spreadsheet and board should be in sync, let me know if anything looks off. :)
Erik Moeller
@eloquence
The draft roadmap we reviewed during sprint planning can now be found on the wiki. I've removed some old text about research/prototyping, since we explicitly speak to those objectives in the roadmap itself now, but it's of course still available in the wiki page history.
Erik Moeller
@eloquence

Hello everyone! Our standup is in 5 minutes at the usual location:

https://meet.google.com/ekb-kkhf-mrk

Anyone is welcome to participate! Notes are taken on an Etherpad and will be moved to the GitHub wiki by the end of the day.

Erik Moeller
@eloquence

(obligatory break)

Hello everyone! Our standup is in 4 minutes at the usual location:

https://meet.google.com/ekb-kkhf-mrk

Anyone is welcome to participate! Notes are taken on an Etherpad and will be moved to the GitHub wiki by the end of the day.

pierwill
@pierwill
Erik Moeller
@eloquence

Hello everyone! Our standup is in 5 minutes at the usual location:

https://meet.google.com/ekb-kkhf-mrk

Anyone is welcome to participate! Notes are taken on an Etherpad and will be moved to the GitHub wiki by the end of the day.

Erik Moeller
@eloquence

Hello everyone! Our standup is in 5 minutes at the usual location:

https://meet.google.com/ekb-kkhf-mrk

Anyone is welcome to participate! Notes are taken on an Etherpad and will be moved to the GitHub wiki by the end of the day.

Erik Moeller
@eloquence

(obligatory break)

Hello everyone! Our standup is in 5 minutes at the usual location:

https://meet.google.com/ekb-kkhf-mrk

Anyone is welcome to participate! Notes are taken on an Etherpad and will be moved to the GitHub wiki by the end of the day.

Erik Moeller
@eloquence

Hello everyone! Our standup is in 5 minutes at the usual location:

https://meet.google.com/ekb-kkhf-mrk

Anyone is welcome to participate! Notes are taken on an Etherpad and will be moved to the GitHub wiki by the end of the day.

Erik Moeller
@eloquence

Hi folks. Today we'll be planning the next two-week sprint, starting in 5 m. All associated materials can be found here:

https://pad.riseup.net/p/SecureDropSprint54

We'll be meeting here per usual:

https://meet.google.com/ekb-kkhf-mrk

Erik Moeller
@eloquence
Notes from the meeting are now also on the wiki. Spreadsheet and project board should be in sync; please let me know if anything looks off :)
Erik Moeller
@eloquence

Hello everyone! Our standup is in 5 minutes at the usual location:

https://meet.google.com/ekb-kkhf-mrk

Anyone is welcome to participate! Notes are taken on an Etherpad and will be moved to the GitHub wiki by the end of the day.

Gonzalo Bulnes Guilpain
@gonzalo-bulnes

Hi everyone! :wave: I'm Gonzalo (he/him) (UTC +10:00)

TL;DR: Hello! I'm keep on getting a glossary template / Spanish glossary started because I believe it would help addressing consistency issues both in Spanish and in the English sources by making easier for translators to provide feedback. I also believe it could be used to iterate towards improving #2331 and make the source and journalist experience better. Does this sound useful now? What's the best place / way to discuss ideas that span across Github and Weblate? Who should be involved?

I've been looking at the SecureDrop component in Weblate (Spanish and French), and noticed some improvement opportunities in making the translations more consistent, as well as the source strings formatting more consistent. I also noticed that there is currently no Glossary in Spanish. Besides, I've also read through this discussion about the consistency of multi-factor auth terminology freedomofpress/securedrop#2331.

I think they are two distinct topics. However, I believe there could be an opportunity in thinking about them as related.

I've helped setting up parts of our localization pipeline at work, and tend to be friends with translators. In my experience, localization teams can be great allies when it comes to ensuring the copy is effective, and creating shared references with the development/design team goes a long way.

The French glossary seems centered on technical terms. Considering the audience of SecureDrop, I think that is probably the best area to focus on for a start. (And it aligns with building towards #2331). I did a quick spike around the Spanish .po file and it looks worth it to me. I feel comfortable making a few calls when multiple translations are used in Spanish or French, as well as raising issues/opening PRs/providing suggestions in source strings and applying design recommendations (@ninavizz?).

The way I see it the deliverables could be successively (although order can vary depending on what seems most valuable):

  • a list of technical terms currently in use (including terms related to multi-factor authentication)
    • that list could inform #2331
    • that list could also be used as a template to start/extend glossaries in any language
    • that list could be used by translators to feedback/call out when source strings are diverging from preferred terms
  • (maybe/cost) a series of small adjustments to the formatting of source strings for consistency (e.g. punctuation)
  • identifying elements of vocabulary or grammar that could be made consistent in the Spanish translations
  • a Spanish glossary of technical terms
  • an extension / adjustment of the French glossary

The expected outcome is reducing the cognitive load of users by providing more consistent copy, specially for technical terms.

Questions

I'm not sure I have a clear/up-to-date picture of the team composition or organization (I've been trying to figure it out by reading issues and docs on GitHub). What is the best place to discuss this? Who are the best people to ask?

Does this sound like a contribution that would be useful now? Is there bandwidth for someone to be a contact person? (I'm UTC +10:00 so I'm assuming communication would be mostly async.) Any other thoughts?

@rmol (because we've briefly talked in Weblate)

Erik Moeller
@eloquence

Hi @gonzalo-bulnes, thanks for joining us here. FPF staff working on SecureDrop are about to head into the weekend, but it would be nice to chat with you about this via call next week if you're up for it. We have a public standup every weekday except Friday, at 4PM UTC, on https://meet.google.com/ekb-kkhf-mrk , which is also announced here.

Note that we'll do string/feature freeze for SecureDrop 1.5.0 end of day Tuesday, so any changes you'd like to suggest in source strings will likely not make it into the upcoming release, but into the next one after that.

4 replies
Erik Moeller
@eloquence

Hello everyone! Our standup is in 5 minutes at the usual location:

https://meet.google.com/ekb-kkhf-mrk

Anyone is welcome to participate! Notes are taken on an Etherpad and will be moved to the GitHub wiki by the end of the day.

Maeve
@maeve-fpf
hi folks! we're upgrading the forum to Discourse 2.5. it'll be unavailable for a few minutes.
Maeve
@maeve-fpf
(this is now done)
Maeve
@maeve-fpf
we're now re-enabling the events plugin, there'll be another short downtime
Maeve
@maeve-fpf
(thanks for your patience with that one! the events category can now be viewed again.)
Conor Schaefer
@conorsch
thank you, @maeve-fpf ! :metal:
Gonzalo Bulnes Guilpain
@gonzalo-bulnes
Thanks for the welcoming stand up everyone. For the record, @rmol and I had a chat about how I can best contribute to the intl/localization process and I'll get started opening one/a couple of issues in GitHub in the next few days, that we can use for coordination as needed. I'm out for today, thank you @rmol! Have a good day everyone!
rmol
@rmol
Thank you! Looking forward to working with you.
Erik Moeller
@eloquence

Hello everyone! Our standup is in 5 minutes at the usual location:

https://meet.google.com/ekb-kkhf-mrk

Anyone is welcome to participate! Notes are taken on an Etherpad and will be moved to the GitHub wiki by the end of the day.

Kushal Das
@kushaldas
From today 1.5.0 string freeze feedback period is in progress.
Erik Moeller
@eloquence

Hello everyone! Our standup is in 5 minutes at the usual location:

https://meet.google.com/ekb-kkhf-mrk

Anyone is welcome to participate! Notes are taken on an Etherpad and will be moved to the GitHub wiki by the end of the day.

Erik Moeller
@eloquence

(obligatory break)


Hello everyone! Our standup is in 5 minutes at the usual location:

https://meet.google.com/ekb-kkhf-mrk

Anyone is welcome to participate! Notes are taken on an Etherpad and will be moved to the GitHub wiki by the end of the day.

Erik Moeller
@eloquence
We're now transitioning into a tech meeting about the SecureDrop Workstation backup strategy. Notes will be taken here: https://pad.riseup.net/p/SecureDropTechMeeting-2020-07-16
Conor Schaefer
@conorsch
Performing maintenance on https://apt-test.freedom.press/ , packages will be temporarily unavailable from that endpoint. Affects staging environments and CI
Erik Moeller
@eloquence

Hello everyone! Our standup is in 5 minutes at the usual location:

https://meet.google.com/ekb-kkhf-mrk

Anyone is welcome to participate! Notes are taken on an Etherpad and will be moved to the GitHub wiki by the end of the day.

Erik Moeller
@eloquence

(obligatory break)

Hello everyone! Our standup is in 5 minutes at the usual location:

https://meet.google.com/ekb-kkhf-mrk

Anyone is welcome to participate! Notes are taken on an Etherpad and will be moved to the GitHub wiki by the end of the day.

Erik Moeller
@eloquence

Hello everyone! Our standup is in 4 minutes at the usual location:

https://meet.google.com/ekb-kkhf-mrk

Anyone is welcome to participate! Notes are taken on an Etherpad and will be moved to the GitHub wiki by the end of the day.

Erik Moeller
@eloquence

Hi folks! It's sprint planning day for the SecureDrop team (planning the work of the next 2 weeks), starting in 5 minutes. You can find all the planning materials here:

https://pad.riseup.net/p/SecureDropSprint55

We'll be meeting here, as usual:

https://meet.google.com/ekb-kkhf-mrk

Erik Moeller
@eloquence
Tracking spreadsheet and board should be in sync per our discussions at sprint planning. Notes from the meeting, including the retro, can now also be found on the wiki.
I'm leaning towards doing the next sprint planning on a Thursday again, given that it's an FPF holiday tomorrow and we're starting on a Thursday, but we can touch base on that next week.
Erik Moeller
@eloquence

Hello everyone! Our standup is in 5 minutes at the usual location:

https://meet.google.com/ekb-kkhf-mrk

Anyone is welcome to participate! Notes are taken on an Etherpad and will be moved to the GitHub wiki by the end of the day.

Erik Moeller
@eloquence

Hello everyone! Our standup is in 5 minutes at the usual location:

https://meet.google.com/ekb-kkhf-mrk

Anyone is welcome to participate! Notes are taken on an Etherpad and will be moved to the GitHub wiki by the end of the day.

Erik Moeller
@eloquence

Hello everyone! Our standup is in 5 minutes at the usual location:

https://meet.google.com/ekb-kkhf-mrk

Anyone is welcome to participate! Notes are taken on an Etherpad and will be moved to the GitHub wiki by the end of the day.

Erik Moeller
@eloquence

Hello everyone! Our standup is in 5 minutes at the usual location:

https://meet.google.com/ekb-kkhf-mrk

Anyone is welcome to participate! Notes are taken on an Etherpad and will be moved to the GitHub wiki by the end of the day.

Erik Moeller
@eloquence
Notes from today's tech discussion about reproducible builds are now also here: https://github.com/freedomofpress/securedrop/wiki/Tech-Meeting-Notes-2020-07-30
Erik Moeller
@eloquence

Hello everyone! Our standup is in 5 minutes at the usual location:

https://meet.google.com/ekb-kkhf-mrk

Anyone is welcome to participate! Notes are taken on an Etherpad and will be moved to the GitHub wiki by the end of the day.

Erik Moeller
@eloquence

Hello everyone! Our standup is in 5 minutes at the usual location:

https://meet.google.com/ekb-kkhf-mrk

Anyone is welcome to participate! Notes are taken on an Etherpad and will be moved to the GitHub wiki by the end of the day.

Erik Moeller
@eloquence

Hello everyone! Our standup is in 5 minutes at the usual location:

https://meet.google.com/ekb-kkhf-mrk

Anyone is welcome to participate! Notes are taken on an Etherpad and will be moved to the GitHub wiki by the end of the day.

Erik Moeller
@eloquence

Hi! We'll be doing sprint planning today (planning out the next two weeks of work) instead of standup, starting in 4 minutes. You can find all materials here:

https://pad.riseup.net/p/SecureDropSprint56

Same meeting place:

https://meet.google.com/ekb-kkhf-mrk

Erik Moeller
@eloquence
Sprint planning spreadsheet and project board should now be fully in sync; notes from today's meeting are now also on the wiki.
Erik Moeller
@eloquence

Hello everyone! Our standup is in 5 minutes at the usual location:

https://meet.google.com/ekb-kkhf-mrk

Anyone is welcome to participate! Notes are taken on an Etherpad and will be moved to the GitHub wiki by the end of the day.

Erik Moeller
@eloquence

Hello everyone! Our standup is in 5 minutes at the usual location:

https://meet.google.com/ekb-kkhf-mrk

Anyone is welcome to participate! Notes are taken on an Etherpad and will be moved to the GitHub wiki by the end of the day.