These are chat archives for freeman-lab/discussion

29th
Jul 2016
Boaz Mohar
@boazmohar
Jul 29 2016 03:55
@freeman-lab Sorry I didn't swing by a had an unexpected visitor. I will try to come tomorrow
Davis Bennett
@d-v-b
Jul 29 2016 18:03
@freeman-lab how does this kind of thing look?
import skwarp
model_translation = skwarp.translation(parameters=[-1,1,1])
model_affine = skwarp.affine(initial_transform = model_translation)
optimizer = skwarp.optimize.powell(niter=100, tol=1e-10, metric='meansquares')
transform = model_affine.fit(image1, image2, optimizer)
warped_image = skwarp.warp(transform, image1, interpolation='cubic', edge_mode='wrap')
i'm not sure if the optimizer should be part of the model object
in SimpleITK there are transforms and RegistrationMethods, which get applied via Resample objects
and the optimizer is part of a RegistrationMethod
conceptually it seems like the optimizer / similarity metric / pyramid schedule should be separate objects from the transform being estimated, but I'm not super sure of that (and it might be tricky to do as long as we're wrapping sitk)
Jeremy Freeman
@freeman-lab
Jul 29 2016 18:09
it's common to mix and match different optimizers alongside different types of transformations?
Davis Bennett
@d-v-b
Jul 29 2016 18:10
i don't know if it's common, but they are independent things (to my understanding). usually I pick a transformation I want to optimize for and then fiddle with the optimizer settings until I get results I like
Jeremy Freeman
@freeman-lab
Jul 29 2016 18:21
can you find examples in sklearn that support custom optimizers in the same way?
from what you posted, i sort of feel that the optimizer should be an optional argument to the fit method, and each algorithm should set some kind of default optimizer during construction
Davis Bennett
@d-v-b
Jul 29 2016 18:29
from a glance, it looks like sklearn doesn't really have a lot of optimizers exposed.. for something like k-means or ica the optimization is baked into the algorithm
Jeremy Freeman
@freeman-lab
Jul 29 2016 21:04
@jwittenbach any eta?
Jason Wittenbach
@jwittenbach
Jul 29 2016 21:07
@freeman-lab I'm in Detroit at the moment. Flight back to Dulles is delayed though, so waiting on it. Hopefully in late tonight!
Jeremy Freeman
@freeman-lab
Jul 29 2016 21:08
@jwittenbach ok! we're going to see the new star trek at 10:20pm
let us know if you're in by then!
Jason Wittenbach
@jwittenbach
Jul 29 2016 21:11
Ah cool, will do!
Jeremy Freeman
@freeman-lab
Jul 29 2016 23:43