These are chat archives for frictionlessdata/chat

Apr 2016
I think we need "Getting Started" tutorial in menu
Rufus Pollock
@rufuspollock
Apr 28 2016 08:43 UTC
@roll getting started with what? using or publishing?
@rgrp Adria is going to copy his question here
Adrià Mercader
@amercader
Apr 28 2016 08:43 UTC

I think it will be good to have some sort of diagram or schema explaining the different level of tooling around dp /fless data

As a someone who is not very familiar with them, this list doesn't really give me a good overview of where to start http://frictionlessdata.io/tools/

Maybe something with Good Tables on top and datapackage-py / jsontableschema-py all the way down
I understand this - so I'm a visiter everything is cool by how I could use it?
Based on thech level (I need UI, I want to use libs etc)
Daniel Fowler
@danfowler
Apr 28 2016 08:44 UTC
Thanks @amercader yeah the list could use some work and is essentially a dump of tools.
Rufus Pollock
@rufuspollock
Apr 28 2016 08:45 UTC
@amercader thanks - great feedback ... - i already drew this diagram but it is not on the site yet - https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1uZhzgc43j8tQuN3MD5IoRdKUT192fvjDefNq85HtSU4/edit
Adrià Mercader
@amercader
Apr 28 2016 08:47 UTC
yeah, there are two main use cases. A dev interested in integrating with DP at some point of the stack but doesn't know what library/tool to target. And a second one (less frequent but pretty important), someone needs to get a full picture to promote the whole project or contribute to it.
Rufus Pollock
@rufuspollock
Apr 28 2016 08:47 UTC
@amercader @roll the tooling page is about to get completely redone ...
Adrià Mercader
@amercader
Apr 28 2016 08:48 UTC
@rgrp that diagram is useful but still doesn't link to the actual tools (I'm sure they are the same but with different names)
I'm sure you have something better in store :)
Rufus Pollock
@rufuspollock
Apr 28 2016 08:49 UTC
@amercader i don't think you can actually link to different tools from a single diagram - you have too many in too many different languages ...
@amercader what exactly would you want in a diagram?
Adrià Mercader
@amercader
Apr 28 2016 08:51 UTC
I want to know where say datapackage-py fits in the whole stack. Does it use jsontableschema-py or viceversa, is Good Tables using it?
I assume that the answer is yes to both and after having read the list 3 or 4 times I'm guessing how all libraries are used, but would be nice to get it from a simple overview
Rufus Pollock
@rufuspollock
Apr 28 2016 08:53 UTC
OK - that's a pretty elaborate diagram esp once you have multiple languages - depending how the libs get split up - and makes sense to have a simple diagram. Did you see this diagram posted last summer: https://discuss.okfn.org/t/data-package-libraries-overview/957
Adrià Mercader
@amercader
Apr 28 2016 08:53 UTC
and agree that we might be talking about two different diagrams, one for concepts/levels and one for libraries/tools
yes, that was useful
Rufus Pollock
@rufuspollock
Apr 28 2016 08:53 UTC
what would you want differently? dependencies or ...?
Adrià Mercader
@amercader
Apr 28 2016 08:54 UTC
nothing much different, just having it on that website page :)
Rufus Pollock
@rufuspollock
Apr 28 2016 09:00 UTC
@amercader great!

So here's a first stab at an information architecture for frictionlessdata.io and related sites:

frictionlessdata/frictionlessdata.io#2

Comments here most welcome ...

@danfowler suggest you and I catch up on hangouts or similar soon to go through task division

Also a big plan for today is to get the data.okfn.org repo moved etc - i.e. this issue okfn/data.okfn.org#206