These are chat archives for frictionlessdata/chat

26th
Aug 2017
Steven De Costa
@Starl3n
Aug 26 2017 06:29
@rufuspollock It is great to see the new datahub.io, especially with the way data packaging has been built in. I am wondering how risky it would be at this time to run a local version as the basis for a data storage and data viz platform. The model I have in mind is to use datahub as the stable for packaged data (ready to run data), use a spatial server for points and regions, use TerriaJS for spatial viz and UX and use Drupal 8 for the front end (telling stories or providing context for data).
The basic use case is "As a user, I want to find information for a location of interest so that I can learn as much as possible about it, particularly compared with other locations."
Users might be parents, investigating education options. Or business owners, investigating options for new store locations.
Although a user may search spatially the information they are looking for would largely come from tabular datasets. And, certainly comparison would be drawn from tabular records for similar objects of interest. Schools, restaurants, demographic data, etc.
Steven De Costa
@Starl3n
Aug 26 2017 06:35
The project I'm looking at is funded. The requirements are very much oriented toward providing data to inform citizen decision making and learning. They are essentially focussed on the web experience in terms of selecting an architecture, so without something like data packaging they'll end up designing a complex relational database to try and drive a UX to the detriment of managing data pipeline quality, interoperability and long term sustainability of the technical approach.
I'm basically trying to future proof the architecture by putting something like datahub in the back end, knowing that if everything else is built around data packages and data views (of packages) then we'll get some good outcomes.
Its also a way to fund development of Drupal 8 modules to support workflows for data packaging and data view definitions.
Steven De Costa
@Starl3n
Aug 26 2017 06:42
ping to @pwalsh on the above to :) General question is, would I be mad to put a local datahub.io install at the centre of a new enterprise data discovery and insights platform for a client? :)
Rufus Pollock
@rufuspollock
Aug 26 2017 06:48
@Starl3n great to hear from you and this sounds really interesting - let's arrange a chat to discuss more.
Steven De Costa
@Starl3n
Aug 26 2017 06:48
@rufuspollock I'm sending you an email with more details right now ;)