These are chat archives for getredash/redash

Apr 2015
martin sarsale
@runa
Apr 28 2015 17:38
@arikfr heyas. are you around? I'm setting up redash on a new server and I cannot add the DS
$ bin/run ./manage.py ds new -n "dw-ar" -t mysql -o "user=redash;passwd=foo;host=10.125.18.148;port=3306;db=properati_dw_ar"
[2015-04-28 12:39:06,131][PID:16291][WARNING][google_oauth] No Google Apps domain defined, all Google accounts allowed.
Error: invalid configuration.
Arik Fraimovich
@arikfr
Apr 28 2015 18:17
@runa you're probably using version 0.6, where there is new format for the datasources (it's JSON now). Just omit it from the command, and it will "walk you through" the required fields.
martin sarsale
@runa
Apr 28 2015 18:30
@arikfr yep, that was the case. I filled a bug :)
a doc bug ;)
michelecoleman
@michelecoleman
Apr 28 2015 18:59
Is there any special considerations if we want to have a custom css on our redash instance? Will that get clobbered every time we update? We have run into a issue where tables reach a certain maximum horizontal extent even when the window width is increased (on Chrome and Safari; it works fine on Firefox). Our css expert believes he can fix it by updating the css.
Arik Fraimovich
@arikfr
Apr 28 2015 19:01
@michelecoleman depends on how you do it, but probably it will be overrun every time you upgrade. but this problem doesn't sound specific to you, so I'll be happy to apply this fix to the next release. Your CSS expert is welcome to make a pull request, or just send me the details and I'll apply the fix.
@michelecoleman also, me & a coworker working on redoing the whole query/results screen to make its width flexible to make better use of bigger screens.
michelecoleman
@michelecoleman
Apr 28 2015 19:05
@arikfr: I will ask him for his css and see if it looks generally useful. His approach might be a very targeted band-aid. What he told me was: " The cut off in chrome and safari is stemming from the URL field not wrapping in its cell. I have a couple lines of css that can be added so the urls will properly wrap in the cell allowing for plenty of table width to see everything in full."
So it might be specific to that situation with URLs
Arik Fraimovich
@arikfr
Apr 28 2015 19:08
@michelecoleman I see. Well, I can add an empty CSS file that will be included , and you can override it when you upgrade, to simplify things for you. But let's first see if we can just add it to the main repo.
michelecoleman
@michelecoleman
Apr 28 2015 19:26
@arikfr: I've invited him to join the chat but it's lunch hour in California ;)
shreddieb
@shreddieb
Apr 28 2015 19:39
hey guys...this is Eddie (apparently a css expert ;-) )
Arik Fraimovich
@arikfr
Apr 28 2015 19:39
@shreddieb hello :)
shreddieb
@shreddieb
Apr 28 2015 19:39
I have a couple ways that will solve that table issue that michele was referring to...
v1. If there is a way to add a custom class to the "Url" column in "campaign posts" then it would be adding the class "break" and adding this to the main css: .break {
max-width: 120px;
word-break: break-word;
}
Arik Fraimovich
@arikfr
Apr 28 2015 19:42
Redash is agnostic to the data it presents, so in the codebase there is no notion of "Url" column or "campaign posts" -- that's just a query result it shows.
shreddieb
@shreddieb
Apr 28 2015 19:42
otherwise, within the main css, there is a style on the td... .table-condensed tbody > tr > td, .table-condensed tbody > tr > th, .table-condensed tfoot > tr > td, .table-condensed tfoot > tr > th, .table-condensed thead > tr > td, .table-condensed thead > tr > th {
padding: 5px;
}
would just need to add in the break/max-width part: max-width: 120px;
word-break: break-word;
gotcha on the agnostic part
so the only potential issue with the second way I described would be if we needed one of those cells to be larger than 120px...that method would apply that to all
Arik Fraimovich
@arikfr
Apr 28 2015 19:44
yeah... is it possible for you to share a screenshot of how the table looks with the problem?
shreddieb
@shreddieb
Apr 28 2015 19:46
sure...let me see how to screenshare here
Arik Fraimovich
@arikfr
Apr 28 2015 19:46
I don't see an attachment button, but if you a drag a file to this window, I believe it will share it.
shreddieb
@shreddieb
Apr 28 2015 19:47
oh ok...I'll screengrab a couple...I thought you meant live screenshare...one sec
too wide.png
so on this one you'll see the engagement rate column is not in initial view because the Url field doesn't break...takes up the full width of the Url length
css fix.png
this applies the css fix with the max-width and break-word
Arik Fraimovich
@arikfr
Apr 28 2015 19:50
got it
michelecoleman
@michelecoleman
Apr 28 2015 19:51
Though I feel like wrapping the URL field is a bit of a bandaid. There is some deeper problem preventing Chrome/Safari from expanding the table as needed if the window width allows.
Arik Fraimovich
@arikfr
Apr 28 2015 19:51
I'll see if there is something I can do that will be generic enough, in the meantime you can just change the query to have the URL as the last column in the result set. This way, it will be the one that being cut off
@michelecoleman you're absolutely correct, and this is something that we're working on. not just for the table, but for the whole query screen
michelecoleman
@michelecoleman
Apr 28 2015 19:52
@arikfr: That is easy enough!
Thanks
Arik Fraimovich
@arikfr
Apr 28 2015 19:52
I hope it works :)
shreddieb
@shreddieb
Apr 28 2015 19:53
thank you...that seems like it would be a good adjustment
Arik Fraimovich
@arikfr
Apr 28 2015 19:56
:+1:
I'm going to sleep. I'll let you know tomorrow if I came up with anything you can use until the redesign.
Thanks for the feedback.