These are chat archives for getredash/redash

21st
May 2015
eschultze
@eschultze
May 21 2015 19:03
How can I manage user permissions in CLI manage.py? I need to set a user to 'read-only' a dashboard, but not possible to create_dashboard, create_query, edit_dashboard, edit_query, view_query, view_source, execute_query.
Arik Fraimovich
@arikfr
May 21 2015 19:06
@eschultze you need to create a group with only the permissions you want and assign this user to it. there is no CLI to create groups, but you can do it from the python shell (manage.py shell). If you're running v0.6.0b812 or later, then you can use the web admin (/admin/group and /admin/user).
eschultze
@eschultze
May 21 2015 19:49
@arikfr thank you! I managed to do it through the web interface, it was very easy!
Arik Fraimovich
@arikfr
May 21 2015 20:15
@eschulte great :-)
Bruno Sa
@BrunoSa
May 21 2015 20:24
hey there! I use redash to connect to a redshift cluster (postgresql db) and normally it's working fine. Sometimes (and now it's the case) we are experience a very strange situation: the queries get blocked and expire with the timeout set for us in the cluster. If I run the same query in a command line or another sql client things work fine. Can someone help?
also... I keep killing the redash queries in redshift and they keep resurrecting again...
this makes redash unusable right now
Arik Fraimovich
@arikfr
May 21 2015 20:28
@brunosa about resurrecting queries: if they are scheduled, then the scheduler will try to run them again until they finish. Hence make sure you didn't set scheduling for them before cancelling.
About the other issue : by command line you mean psql? With the same user?
Bruno Sa
@BrunoSa
May 21 2015 20:30
@arikfr thanks for your quick response! Not the same user but I can try with the user redash in the command line
Arik Fraimovich
@arikfr
May 21 2015 20:37
Let's try with the same user and psql to make sure it's not something with the connection settings (like memory allocation)
Bruno Sa
@BrunoSa
May 21 2015 20:45
@arikfr it works fine using the command line and the user redash
Arik Fraimovich
@arikfr
May 21 2015 20:47
And if you run it now from redash it will keep running until cancelled by Redshift itself?
How long did it take to complete from command line?
Bruno Sa
@BrunoSa
May 21 2015 20:50
it took less than 2 min in command line and in redash tooks more than 10 min (that is the timeout that I have set in redshift for user queries)
Arik Fraimovich
@arikfr
May 21 2015 20:58
Did you run psql from redash's server?
Bruno Sa
@BrunoSa
May 21 2015 20:59
no... from my local
Arik Fraimovich
@arikfr
May 21 2015 21:08
Can you try from the server? In the past we had networking issues between the cluster and EC2. We resolved them by adjusting dome settings (will lookup the email thread with AWS support). Actually I would expect it to be resolved internally without the need to adjust settings, but...
Bruno Sa
@BrunoSa
May 21 2015 21:12
ok @arikfr! I'll check it out
Arik Fraimovich
@arikfr
May 21 2015 21:28
@brunosa I'll be happy to hear if it was that and assist if not. We have been using redash with redshift for almost two years now (before open sourcing) and mostly without (such) issues.
Bruno Sa
@BrunoSa
May 21 2015 21:36
Thanks @arikfr! I will try again tomorrow. I'm in Berlin (CET) and it's quite late here. I think you already talked to another colleague of mine in the past to solve a similar issue - @clevinson. I'll try to sync with him tomorrow and figure this out.
Thanks again for your help!
Arik Fraimovich
@arikfr
May 21 2015 21:39
@brunosa I'm on the similiar time zone. I was about to go to sleep, but googled your name and now I'm watching your talk from JAX London :-)
@brunosa and happy to help people with redash. Also will be happy to have another conversation to better understand how you use redash and Redshift (my email: arik@arikfr.com). Thanks and good night.
gabrielcrowdtilt
@gabrielcrowdtilt
May 21 2015 22:38
I noticed you were doing some formatting stuff. I never got around to it yet, but I was wondering how to format output so it doesn't put commas on numbers that shouldnt have them such as a row id #