These are chat archives for getredash/redash

2nd
Aug 2016
Florian Pieront
@fpieront
Aug 02 2016 10:13
Hi @arikfr , are you planning to make any additions to the Map Visualization? Like heatmaps overlays, chloropleth and such
Arik Fraimovich
@arikfr
Aug 02 2016 10:13
@fpieront the short answer is yes. There is a multi-marker pull request open and I hope we will add the other features later on as well. I can't give a timeline yet though :(
Florian Pieront
@fpieront
Aug 02 2016 10:15
great - no worries, i think it's quite tricky to implement and I don't see many tools out there that do it well
Arik Fraimovich
@arikfr
Aug 02 2016 10:19
:+1:
just follow the news and see when we update the visualizations :)
Florian Pieront
@fpieront
Aug 02 2016 10:19
the current map viz works quite well for small datasets. what are the challenges in working with lots of datapoints to plot? is it my server?
it's getting a bit shaky with ~ 15,000 points
Arik Fraimovich
@arikfr
Aug 02 2016 10:21
no, it's the frontend that becomes slow. I suggest you give it a try once we merge the marketcluster pull request getredash/redash#1203
Florian Pieront
@fpieront
Aug 02 2016 10:24
I'm on the lookout, thanks
Torbjørn Vatn
@torbjornvatn
Aug 02 2016 10:50
@arikfr Sorry about the late response. I guess the result set being to big could be the issue, but shouldn't re:dash handle that by giving up and "stop" hanging after a while? I have to kill the tab and delete the query from the database manually to get up and running again
I'll also add an issue to github about supporting Standard SQL syntax for BigQuery
Arik Fraimovich
@arikfr
Aug 02 2016 10:52
@torbjornvatn actually Standard SQL will be supported in 0.12: getredash/redash#1198 (already merged and in master)
@torbjornvatn as for the other comment, by now I don't remember the full context :)
oh, ok, found the previous message.
Eventually we will have better support for large result sets - like not showing them at all or giving the user an option to decide if he wants to. But it's not a priority right now compared to other tasks.
Torbjørn Vatn
@torbjornvatn
Aug 02 2016 10:54
I understand, I was just that I've experienced that the entire re:dash UI becomes unresponsive when making queries with LIMIT > 10000
which is not that much, so I thought it could be related to the size of the dataset (~ 24GB)
Arik Fraimovich
@arikfr
Aug 02 2016 10:55
10K should be a problem, although it depends on # of columns and the hardware / browser you're using.
also depends on the kind of visualization - the table is usually ok. the charts will probably hang on >10K.
Torbjørn Vatn
@torbjornvatn
Aug 02 2016 10:56
ok, then it's probably that. thanks
Torbjørn Vatn
@torbjornvatn
Aug 02 2016 11:17
It's a bit annoying that the UI never recovers from that though
Arik Fraimovich
@arikfr
Aug 02 2016 11:22
I agree.
eclypse80
@eclypse80
Aug 02 2016 17:45
I'm unable to download plots. I get an error "sorry there was a problem downloading your png". Is this a known issue?
Running version: 0.10.1+b1836
Florian Pieront
@fpieront
Aug 02 2016 19:20
same for me actually (0.11.0+b2016)
also occurred with 0.9x before