Where communities thrive


  • Join over 1.5M+ people
  • Join over 100K+ communities
  • Free without limits
  • Create your own community
People
Activity
    Jez (he/him)
    @jez:petrichor.me
    [m]
    By way of introduction: I'm Jez Cope, Data Services Lead at The British Library and I've been funded by a Fellowship from the Software Sustainability Institute to get this community up and running. And this is my cat, Felix ☝️
    Jez (he/him)
    @jez:petrichor.me
    [m]
    New GLAM Data Science network announcement! πŸ₯³ https://twitter.com/jezcope/status/1375091247614988290
    pixouls
    @pixouls:matrix.org
    [m]
    greetings my friend
    seeing your cat always makes me so excited
    Jez (he/him)
    @jez:petrichor.me
    [m]
    pixouls: Hey, welcome! πŸ‘‹
    İlkay Holt 🐾
    @ilkayholt_twitter
    Hi Jez! This is just to say that i am happy to help with the facilitation or some backend support with technology etc for the workshop as much as my schedule allows. Good luck with everything. Btw, I love the site, its simplicity and the documentation.
    Jez (he/him)
    @jez:petrichor.me
    [m]
    Hi @ilkayholt_twitter! Thank you so much! πŸ˜€
    I should probably encourage both of you to introduce yourselves, to whatever level of detail you feel comfortable with...
    Jez (he/him)
    @jez:petrichor.me
    [m]
    Hey, welcome new folks! πŸ‘‹
    Please do introduce yourselves!
    Rachel MacGregor
    @An_Old_Hand_twitter
    Hello! I'm Rachel MacGregor, Digital Preservation Officer at the University of Warwick and very keen to improve my own skills and build confidence within the sector. Happy to help with whatever needs doing - probably in the proof reading/facilitating line. I don't have a cat but I do have some tomato plants which need about the same level of attention.
    Henry Bolshaw
    @henrybolshaw
    Hi! I'm Henry Bolshaw, Systems Librarian at the House of Lords Library. I'm happy to help out in anyway I can. I don't bring a huge amount of expertise to the table but I will try to make up for that in enthusiasm.
    Jez (he/him)
    @jez:petrichor.me
    [m]
    Hi @An_Old_Hand_twitter & @henrybolshaw πŸ‘‹ glad you could join us!
    Jez Cope
    @jezcope
    I also see @mbennett-uoe & @peterneish lurking: feel free to let us know a bit more about your interests!
    (Or not, no pressure :smile: )
    Henry Bolshaw
    @henrybolshaw
    @jezcope | @jez:petrichor.me , are you waiting for us to start discussing ideas here or are you planning to discuss via email or some other method?
    Sorry, I should have probably included a 'Hello' or 'Hi!' in that message! Apologies if that was a bit abrupt - I've been struggling with R and regular expressions this morning and might be a bit grumpy!
    Jez (he/him)
    @jez:petrichor.me
    [m]
    @henrybolshaw: I feel your pain!
    To be honest, I'm balancing getting this community up and running with the day job, so the timescales will necessarily be fairly long
    I sketched out a roadmap to help set some expectations https://glamdatasci.network/2021/03/roadmap-2021-q2/
    Jez (he/him)
    @jez:petrichor.me
    [m]
    I'm hoping to have a couple of synchronous workshops to discuss ideas over the next month or so, one at IDCC (https://www.dcc.ac.uk/events/idcc2021) if there's enough interest there, and one separately
    But it would be really helpful to have some discussion here too either side of those
    Jez (he/him)
    @jez:petrichor.me
    [m]
    (I started writing a short update email this morning for those who've subscribed to the mailing list, so these questions are actually really helpful)
    İlkay Holt 🐾
    @ilkayholt_twitter

    Hi @jezcope and all. Now i am with you, downloaded the app 🀭 will catch up with the roadmap tomorrow morning.

    Re. About myself πŸ‘‹; i work at British Library as a community engagement lead (i know that is a fancy and scary title but wait) for the Advancing Hyku (open source repository software) project. I am 0.5 at BL and that’s why i am involved in other repository projects in some other organisations. I thought i can be useful as facilitator and might be able to provide feedback for the workshop program. More importantly i can also learn more about data science while working, exchanging ideas with you.

    Jez (he/him)
    @jez:petrichor.me
    [m]
    Hi @ilkayholt_twitter! Thanks for joining!
    Just sent out the first email update, or you can read it online here https://tinyletter.com/glamdatasci/letters/welcome-to-the-glam-data-science-network
    Jajwalya Karajgikar
    @JajRK_twitter

    Hello all, excited to be here, this is quite a niche field and I'm glad this network exists. I am Jajwalya (she/her), a Computational Sciences graduate student at George Mason University, interested in Digital Humanities research. I currently am working on a paper publication on "Computational Pattern Analysis of Linear A, an ancient Greek language using NLP and Knowledge Mining techniques" and the "Visualization & Simulation of the Ancient Silk Route". My experience include the following roles: Data Science internship at the National Gallery of Art, Digital Scholarship Graduate Research Assistantship at GMU Libraries, and now I am the Geo-Spatial Visualization Intern at the National Park Services. I have documented my projects at JajAndTheDigitalHumanities.com

    I am hoping to connect and learn more on the field, especially from a Digital Humanities in GLAM spaces perspective in the industry, and Digital Scholarship practices in academia.

    Thank you,

    Jaj

    Jez (he/him)
    @jez:petrichor.me
    [m]
    Hey, welcome πŸ‘‹ great to hear from you @JajRK_twitter
    Mike Bennett
    @mbennett-uoe

    I also see @mbennett-uoe & @peterneish lurking: feel free to let us know a bit more about your interests!

    Hi Jez and everyone else, finally got the time to get around to introducing myself! I'm Mike Bennett, the Digital Scholarship Developer with the University of Edinburgh Digital Library team. I hope to be able to contribute some technical assistance to the network, as well as gain some useful insight into ways that we as an institution can support usage of our GLAM data.

    A good chunk of my work involves supporting the use of our collections holdings for data science / computational analysis - covering both thinking about/developing ways to make our collections data more accessible and usable, as well as providing technical assistance & coding to academic projects across the university (recently a paper for one of them, Plague.TXT was published in the Journal of Data Mining and Digital Humanities: https://jdmdh.episciences.org/7105).

    Now to work out which Matrix client is the best fit for Mint 20.1 so I can actually catch up with conversations here without having to open Gitter in the browser!

    Jez (he/him)
    @jez:petrichor.me
    [m]
    @mbennett-uoe: Welcome Mike, sorry for the delay responding!
    If it helps, https://element.io/ works well as a web client without installing anything, if you want to try out Matrix without a desktop client.
    Jez (he/him)
    @jez:petrichor.me
    [m]
    Hi folks!
    Gentle reminder that we have our first online meeting today at 10am BST/UTC+1. I've just sent an agenda and reminder of the Zoom link out on the mailing list, but if you've not had them for any reason drop me a line to team@glamdatasci.network.
    Rachel MacGregor
    @An_Old_Hand_twitter
    I haven't had the agenda and reminder (although I do have the zoom link from earlier). Will see everyone there at 10 o'clock
    Jez (he/him)
    @jez:petrichor.me
    [m]
    Thanks Rachel, it was great to see you there. Did the email get through in the end? I wonder if they take some time after I hit the "Send" button before they get delivered to everyone?
    Rachel MacGregor
    @An_Old_Hand_twitter
    No I didn't get anything @jez:petrichor.me shrugs although I had the original message and also get notifications from here.
    Bernard Ogden
    @BernardOgden5_twitter
    It arrived on the afternoon of the day for me :) But I actually came over here to introduce myself, I'm Bernard Ogden, I'm an RSE at The National Archives (and a wannabe humanist). A lot of my experience is in industry, but hopefully some of that transfers to things that are useful to the network. I'm interested in different kinds of evidence and different ways of viewing, understanding and analysing it, traditional and computational. My main concern on the data science side is understanding the statistical underpinnings of things -- I can hack code together to make a thing, but I want to be able to much better understand if that thing is pointing to anything real or not.
    Anyway, I'll hope to make it to the next meeting :)
    Jez (he/him)
    @jez:petrichor.me
    [m]
    Hi @BernardOgden5_twitter! Thanks for joining us! I look forward to meeting you.
    Jez (he/him)
    @jez:petrichor.me
    [m]
    Hey folks, there's now a summary of our first meeting up on the blog! https://glamdatasci.network/2021/06/meeting-1-summary/
    Many thanks to Leontien for the bulk of the writing and David for some good suggestions
    There's a scheduling poll for meeting 2 at http://whenisgood.net/hqsfm2x so fill that in if you'd like to attend and make sure you're signed up for the mailing list to get the details when the date is finalised https://tinyletter.com/glamdatasci
    Oh, and I hope you like my new avatar too... πŸ˜‰
    Henry Bolshaw
    @henrybolshaw
    Has the date for meeting 2 been finalised? I think some of the suggested dates are already in the past... (No worries if the meeting hasn't been set up yet, I just want to check I haven't missed any communications!)
    Jez (he/him)
    @jez:petrichor.me
    [m]
    Yes! I will be sending out the details today, but the most popular slot was 10am next Wednesday 30 June.
    I think maybe one of the things for discussion should be having a couple more volunteers to help out with the logistics so my workload can be less of a single point of failure. πŸ˜‚
    Jez (he/him)
    @jez:petrichor.me
    [m]
    CORRECTION: make that 10am Monday 28 June!
    Jez (he/him)
    @jez:petrichor.me
    [m]
    Ok! I've pushed up a blog post with a summary of this Monday's meeting, and details of the new discussion list and Slack/Matrix space, plus a poll for preferred times for regular meetings: https://glamdatasci.network/2021/07/comms-and-meetings/
    Enjoy!