These are chat archives for highfidelity/hifi

Oct 2014
Joe Large [Omega Heron]
@OmegaHeron
Oct 15 2014 00:29
@LaurentBechir look at the ubuntu guide on docs.highfidelity.io
but I warn you ahead of time - it's a process getting domain server to play nice on linux lately. I have it working on mine but it took a lot of tinkering and not sure I could explain to anyone else how I sorted it out. I had to change some paths in source, and other things. still can't get the domain web interface going, but it works in so far as I can lg into domain and run assignment clients.
Clément Brisset
@Atlante45
Oct 15 2014 00:36
@OmegaHeron for the web interface, you need to copy hifi/domain-serverresources to hifi/build/domain-server/Debug/resources
Joe Large [Omega Heron]
@OmegaHeron
Oct 15 2014 00:36
I did :)
That it's not responding is a feature not a bug from my point of view at this time - I don't have to bother securing it.
Clément Brisset
@Atlante45
Oct 15 2014 00:37
Ahah, ok
Joe Large [Omega Heron]
@OmegaHeron
Oct 15 2014 00:59
Anyone reading my response to building domain-server on Linux - reason my web interface isn't working is my error - I customized my source tree to place the resources under /usr/local/share/hf/domain/... and I did it incorrectly. It should work if you run the code as is and use the hint from Atlante45 posted above.
whatSocks
@whatSocks
Oct 15 2014 00:59
@OmegaHeron I’m working on the docs for the vanilla build-your-own-domain server
so it would be good to add your instructions for Linux
Joe Large [Omega Heron]
@OmegaHeron
Oct 15 2014 01:01
cool :) There's some things that need to solidify a bit in my opinion in so far as where resources are located and persistent data is stored, but, the Ubuntu 14.04 guide http://docs.highfidelity.io/v1.0/docs/ubuntu-1404-lts-guide is pretty good.
Most of where I went different from that guide is paranoid sys admin and personal preferences that differ from its methodology.
smwilken
@smwilken
Oct 15 2014 03:06
Hi, I am interested in downloading the build and joining the alpha program
Thijs Wenker
@thoys
Oct 15 2014 14:05
@problem, @kevinmthomas-carpool made some voxel house scripts
They should be somewhere on the alpha forum
Adrianl3d
@Adrianl3d
Oct 15 2014 14:17
@thoys I dug up my voxel house script and sent the link to @problem
Thijs Wenker
@thoys
Oct 15 2014 14:20
cool @Adrianl3d
Adrianl3d
@Adrianl3d
Oct 15 2014 14:25
@thoys do you know what the latest is with the keystroke override job #20016 ? I am not allowed to view it for some reason
LaurentBechir
@LaurentBechir
Oct 15 2014 14:30
Hello. does someone knows what is the problem with mmintrin.h when building assignment-client ? I'm building on Ubuntu : http://pastie.org/9649933
Thijs Wenker
@thoys
Oct 15 2014 14:32
@Adrianl3d , not sure why you are not allowed to see it, but the last message which is visible to me is written by you, not sure if you pointed the question to me or @problem
I think you could try to make a .js library out of it, and point some calls to the library in the example. That way its easy to implement your input in any script
Adrianl3d
@Adrianl3d
Oct 15 2014 14:41
sorry @thoys quoted wrong job, #20107 is the one I mean
RJ Duran
@rjduran
Oct 15 2014 15:21
Hello, I am able to build following the build guide but get a fatal error when trying to run interface.app. I'm running OSX 10.9.3. Has anyone seen this? What else should I try? I'm assuming if it runs I should see a 3d world to move around in.
Andrew Meadows
@AndrewMeadows
Oct 15 2014 16:01
We need more info @rjduran -- what kind of "fatal error"?. Are you running from within xCode? If so it should "break" on the fatal error and provide a stack of function calls to where the problem occurred. Examining the callstack would provide clues. Meanwhile, the interface logs might also have clues. Put the callstack or logs into a pastie.org link as LaurentBechir did above and we'll look at them.
Joe Large [Omega Heron]
@OmegaHeron
Oct 15 2014 16:04
@LaurentBechir could you show result of issuing command uname -a
@LaurentBechir in my case I see "Linux omegaheron1.ddns.net 3.13.0-32-generic #57-Ubuntu SMP Tue Jul 15 03:51:08 UTC 2014 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux"
LaurentBechir
@LaurentBechir
Oct 15 2014 16:09
Linux c1-10-1-1-22 3.17.0-66 #11 SMP Tue Oct 14 08:30:06 CEST 2014 armv7l armv7l armv7l GNU/Linux
Joe Large [Omega Heron]
@OmegaHeron
Oct 15 2014 16:14
Laurent - that's kind of what I expected.. That shows you're running on an Arm CPU vs Intel. It's reminding me of trying to compile assignment on Raspberry Pi. It looks like the CPU support is missing for doing some of the (In Intel speak) MMX instructions (or their equiv in a Arm CPU). I haven't had time to dig deeper to see if there's some flags or makefile magic that will allow compiling on Arm.
Andrew Meadows
@AndrewMeadows
Oct 15 2014 16:37
I think we removed the MMX specific stuff (because of a thread-safe problem on Windows as I recall), but perhaps a header is still being included unecessarily.
Joe Large [Omega Heron]
@OmegaHeron
Oct 15 2014 16:38
Looks like it as after a quick look I don't currently see it actually using any vector/mmx stuff
Brad Hefta-Gaub
@ZappoMan
Oct 15 2014 16:38
not really thread safeness - but the MMX code was mixing floats and MMX which produces unreliable results.
Andrew Meadows
@AndrewMeadows
Oct 15 2014 16:42
I can confirm that the code builds on linux the "#include mmintrin.h" commented out. We'll remove that line.
Thijs Wenker
@thoys
Oct 15 2014 16:52
Hmm recently the download speed of files that I download from highfidelity.io went down. Downloading the latest build with about 80kb/s , did someone tune it down?
@murillodigital @birarda ^
Joe Large [Omega Heron]
@OmegaHeron
Oct 15 2014 16:58
@thoys I've noticed that too
David Rowe
@ctrlaltdavid
Oct 15 2014 18:48
There seem to be numerous problems with shadows - normal and cascaded shadows, normal and HMD view ... is this a known issue?
LaurentBechir
@LaurentBechir
Oct 15 2014 22:15
Hello. My build has succeeded and I can see my server online :) http://www.madonie.org/SL/hifi.png
Joe Large [Omega Heron]
@OmegaHeron
Oct 15 2014 22:17
@LaurentBechir Congratultions! Well done \o/
LaurentBechir
@LaurentBechir
Oct 15 2014 23:35
What do I add in Path for a new location ?
whatSocks
@whatSocks
Oct 15 2014 23:37
if you’re in the interface and do “add location” or whatever
you’ll see an example
LaurentBechir
@LaurentBechir
Oct 15 2014 23:38
I'm on data.highfidelity on the new location page, and there is nothing in the Path field
whatSocks
@whatSocks
Oct 15 2014 23:39
go to the interface and grab a location from there
LaurentBechir
@LaurentBechir
Oct 15 2014 23:49
In this : hifi://sandbox/8192.5,8193.91,8192.68 the path is 8192.5,8193.91,8192.68 ?
whatSocks
@whatSocks
Oct 15 2014 23:50
yea that
/8192.5,8193.91,8192.68
i think it wants the slash
LaurentBechir
@LaurentBechir
Oct 15 2014 23:53
so if I want to invite someone, I give this kind of url ? : http://212.47.237.37:40100/8192.5,8193.91,8192.68
whatSocks
@whatSocks
Oct 15 2014 23:53
well, once you make the location you invite them to go to the name of the location in the address bar
LaurentBechir
@LaurentBechir
Oct 15 2014 23:53
ok
whatSocks
@whatSocks
Oct 15 2014 23:54
Since you just went through the process of setting up a domain, can you look at this doc and see if there’s anything missing?