These are chat archives for highfidelity/hifi

21st
Feb 2015
David Rowe
@ctrlaltdavid
Feb 21 2015 01:10
@jherico I did some work on updating to Rift SDK 0.4.4 including direct mode a while ago, but it never made it into Master, if I recall correctly, because of something not working properly on OSX. See the "20192" branch of my repository: https://github.com/ctrlaltdavid/hifi/tree/20192
Though of course, Interface code has changed a lot in the interim.
Bradley Austin Davis
@jherico
Feb 21 2015 02:19
@ctrlaltdavid it's true that direct mode isn't supported on OSX currently, although OSX doesn't have some of the same drawbacks as Windows when it comes to multiple devices with distinct refresh rate. I'll check out the branch though. thanks.
Bradley Austin Davis
@jherico
Feb 21 2015 02:30
hmmmm.... the camera object will need to be refactored.
Brad Hefta-Gaub
@ZappoMan
Feb 21 2015 02:30
Camera is definitely krufty
But what in particular are you concerned about?
FWIW - Camera was originally done as an abstraction that had built in slurping - but we gutted that stuff and left the shell
Bradley Austin Davis
@jherico
Feb 21 2015 02:33
It doesn't support an asymmetrical projection matrix, which the DK1 and DK2 both require (although the DK2 is only very slightly asymmetrical).
Brad Hefta-Gaub
@ZappoMan
Feb 21 2015 02:33
ah
Bradley Austin Davis
@jherico
Feb 21 2015 02:34
although I just found the overrideOffAxisFrustum mechanism that's clearly being used to correct for that.
Brad Hefta-Gaub
@ZappoMan
Feb 21 2015 02:34
The ViewFrustum class does support an off axis frustum
Bradley Austin Davis
@jherico
Feb 21 2015 02:35
OK, maybe I'm over-estimating what the camera object is responsible for.
Brad Hefta-Gaub
@ZappoMan
Feb 21 2015 02:35
Like I said, the camera was this wrapper for the view frustum… that was originally build to be like a “movie camera”…
yeah - the camera was just this wrapper that was supposed to handle things like shifting from first person to 3rd person in a smooth way
Bradley Austin Davis
@jherico
Feb 21 2015 02:35
ah, sort of like a utility class that acts as one possible interface into manipulating the frustum.
Brad Hefta-Gaub
@ZappoMan
Feb 21 2015 02:35
it had this spring mechanism in it, etc...
the thing that actually matters is the view frustum
it’s what’s used to query the server for what’s in view
it’s used for doing things like view culling, etc..
Bradley Austin Davis
@jherico
Feb 21 2015 02:36
I've seen something similar in cinder, which has a camera class that supports not just that kind of behavior, but uses cinematographic terminology for the methods.... dolly, zoom, etc
Brad Hefta-Gaub
@ZappoMan
Feb 21 2015 02:36
but, admittedly… it’s also gotten tweaked and pushed around in the application in a manner that is sometimes misused
yes - the original Camera class was designed to do that sort of thing.
but most of that has gotten removed, and so now, it’s pretty much just a pass through that sets values in the view frustum
Actually, it’s more like a temporary storage, that then the values get read from and then pushed into view frustum.
Bradley Austin Davis
@jherico
Feb 21 2015 03:36
I recall seeing a page that had some starter geometry for domains... having trouble finding it again
Brad Hefta-Gaub
@ZappoMan
Feb 21 2015 04:41
The stack manager will install some default content for you.
Boris Skegin
@sirop
Feb 21 2015 07:47
@nbq I added C:\Qt\5.3\msvc2013_opengl\lib\cmake;C:\Qt\5.3\msvc2013_opengl\bin to the PATH. Now I have only 112 warnings but no errors when building. I also set QT_CMAKE_PREFIX_PATH to C:\Qt\5.3\msvc2013_opengl .
Maybe the proper path of QT_CMAKE_PREFIX_PATH made it as https://github.com/highfidelity/hifi/blob/master/BUILD.md gives a linux example for QT_CMAKE_PREFIX_PATH which confused me.
Jason Hawks
@nbq
Feb 21 2015 11:10
@sirop I have "HIFI_LIB_DIR=c:\dev\hifi_lib_dir” as an env variable on windows and nothing else other than path, also 112 warnings is acceptable, you get them here, all you need to worry about are no errors
thats a debug build but its from the hifi-gustavo outputs on the side there ->
Bradley Austin Davis
@jherico
Feb 21 2015 17:12
well, I got direct HMD mode working... but for some reason it completely breaks lighting. :worried:
Brad Hefta-Gaub
@ZappoMan
Feb 21 2015 19:20
@jherico - well it sounds like some progress
Bristle
@bristle2008
Feb 21 2015 21:34
I am going to do some stuff with opensimulator and VMware and Vbox.
Jason Hawks
@nbq
Feb 21 2015 21:36
Hey there @bristle2008 - what do you mean about opensimulator since this is a hifi discussion channel? Though I do know what opensimulator is, its a completely seperate project
Bristle
@bristle2008
Feb 21 2015 21:41
The purpose is to running agents and opensimulator and maybe HiFi. there are some problem with VMware already. and I still haven't the compile the windows HIFi client. but there are good things in opensimulator and some good things in HiFi. anyway, the last message was a mistake because I was going to write more, but I hit the carriage return. I was going to do it with raspberry pi(s) but they don't have enough memory yet. so I decide to do it with Vbox. has anyone done anything with VMware or VBox and HiFi?
Jason Hawks
@nbq
Feb 21 2015 21:42
I have compiled HiFi on VMware yes, but since it does not support OpenGL ES 3.0, it will not run interface, none of them will sadly… ac/ds however can run
but you can compile them there no issue
on linux however, the support is there in the open source drivers so you can do linux vmware and interface…. If they could just work it out on Windows (I havnt found a driver for windows that would support it)
Bristle
@bristle2008
Feb 21 2015 21:49
that what I am hoping for. I can install Linux but I want to do it in VMware/VBox first. Since I can connect with a client in VM, I don't have a problem right now. You have to have the workstation right not the player? Vbox looks like it better and open source, but I haven't played with that yet. I have done lots with opensimulator though.
Jason Hawks
@nbq
Feb 21 2015 21:52
I think player would work, I mean I use vmware fusion since I am on a mac but...
it may work
Bristle
@bristle2008
Feb 21 2015 21:55
i think you need clone. i don't know if VMware fusion has that. i have a version right now with the client and opensimulator but if i build it on another system, i have to do some things again. that's seem nuts.
Jason Hawks
@nbq
Feb 21 2015 21:59
Oh if you want to make an image and then clone it, I would go with something like KVM/Xen but thats a lot more server oriented, I use Proxmox on my servers and KVM for my stuff I need for HiFi BUT I can say you will run into the graphics issue again
unless you went barebones with ESXI which you dont want you said
Bristle
@bristle2008
Feb 21 2015 22:35
no ESXi. I know workstation would work fine but Vbox would work too. KVM is part of Linux now, it that right?
Jason Hawks
@nbq
Feb 21 2015 22:58
KVM is yes, I used it when I ran a VPS service a couple years ago
you can run it on anything that supports hardware passthrough like Intel VT
Bristle
@bristle2008
Feb 21 2015 23:13
interesting, interesting
all i have to find out if the chip support intel vt
Jason Hawks
@nbq
Feb 21 2015 23:14
I run it on a Core2Duo to a Xeon 1230v1 and also a Xeon 1240v3
I have 3 proxmox servers right now so you can find even non server grade xeons that support it
I get a lot from places like https://www.wholesaleinternet.net/dedicated/ which has a core2quad grab bag 4gb ram, unlimited 100Mb line
35.00 a month
Bristle
@bristle2008
Feb 21 2015 23:22
you gave me a lot of stuff to consider. i will build a unix box and go from there.
Jason Hawks
@nbq
Feb 21 2015 23:25
good idea, and enjoy!
Bristle
@bristle2008
Feb 21 2015 23:28
i will let everyone of the progress i have made with VM and HiFi
Jason Hawks
@nbq
Feb 21 2015 23:28
okie, sweet, I look forward to hearing about it