These are chat archives for jdubray/sam

Aug 2016
Fred Daoud
@foxdonut
Aug 29 2016 17:46
@jdubray did you mention Cerebral and Christian Alfoni a while back? Did you have a discussion with him, I think? What came out of that? I've read some of his work and it's quite good.
Jean-Jacques Dubray
@jdubray
Aug 29 2016 17:52
Yes, it was ok, but I think everyone is busy with their own thing, it's hard to sync up. Even MobX which possibly was the closest framework to be aligned with SAM (action and state representation, all that was missing was a reasonable model in between).
I got my troll badge over the week-end from the React community. It seems that everyone is afraid to talk about TLA+. It's kind of funny, Dan Abramov keeps tweeting asking people what is broken in Redux and yet some of the most obvious things like Sagas are already off limits.
devin ivy
@devinivy
Aug 29 2016 18:03
@jdubray was that in redux issues? i agree folks need to address sagas. the fact that they rely on generators makes them a no-go for the team i work on.
i realize that's a superficial reason.
but it also points out how many of redux's issues look to javascript features to right them– e.g. dan abramov's solution to effects in redux-land is "algebraic effects implemented within ES"
Jean-Jacques Dubray
@jdubray
Aug 29 2016 18:10
I don't know regularly keep tweeting asking feedback on Redux.
Fred Daoud
@foxdonut
Aug 29 2016 21:44
I looked at both Cerebral and MobX. I'd certainly consider using one of those, with a vdom library, over, say, Angular. However, what concerns me is that in both cases, all of your model/logic code ends up being tied. For Cerebral, it's actions and chains; for MobX, it's observables and observers.
devin ivy
@devinivy
Aug 29 2016 21:45
so pick your poison ;D
Fred Daoud
@foxdonut
Aug 29 2016 21:46
What I like about SAM, and my goal with Meiosis, is to keep the bulk of the code from being library-specific.
Out of about 25 .js files in the "temperatures" example I posted earlier, only 2 import something from meiosis.
Fred Daoud
@foxdonut
Aug 29 2016 21:52
@devinivy when your model is no longer plain js objects it really does become poison :(