These are chat archives for jdubray/sam

31st
Jul 2017
Antanas A.
@antanas-arvasevicius
Jul 31 2017 03:46
And 170k Loc is just frontend, almost same amount of code is for backend :)
If it would be java I think we'll get 2x more code for GUI at least
It's huge ERP I would say
A lot of js/ts code is just GUI declarations, data schema declarations. Almost only custom bindings and a
and button handlera
As for typescript we have only couple of
Antanas A.
@antanas-arvasevicius
Jul 31 2017 03:52
type definition files where we have defined types for core structures and API's
Regular code have type annotations in the same line as function name and its arguments
Nivani
@Nivani
Jul 31 2017 06:54
Ah yes, our backends are always Spring boot and I also feel that Java is kind of... meh. They improved a lot of things in Java 8, but it's still disappointing.
Have you tried Kotlin?
Antanas A.
@antanas-arvasevicius
Jul 31 2017 07:01
we are doing now pilot project on Kotlin
a feedback from developers is very positive
It's good starting path to Scala
Nivani
@Nivani
Jul 31 2017 07:27
I know Scala and I like it a lot more than Java, but it's not ideal in combination with Spring Boot. That's why I was asking for Kotlin.
Antanas A.
@antanas-arvasevicius
Jul 31 2017 07:54
Kotlin is way more better option for Java teams currently
but I doubt about it's long term longevity, language itself is without core foundations
just collected from other languages peaces
Nivani
@Nivani
Jul 31 2017 08:07
ok, thanks
Jean-Jacques Dubray
@jdubray
Jul 31 2017 14:20
@antanas-arvasevicius this kind of metric is very rough, so it always has to be taken with a grain of salt. I am surprised your back-end is also 170k, I would have guessed 30k at most. It's actually a good metric to track on a given project, far better than any velocity metric I have seen. The problem though is that people often take it personally, it's not a race! just an indicator.
Zach Dahl
@schtauffen
Jul 31 2017 14:38
clojure ftw
Fred Daoud
@foxdonut
Jul 31 2017 14:52
@schtauffen what do you think of clojurescript?
Zach Dahl
@schtauffen
Jul 31 2017 14:55
I like it, my biggest peeve with it is that it still relies on java to compile. I heard something about compiling with node but never investigated deeper
Antanas A.
@antanas-arvasevicius
Jul 31 2017 16:34
@jdubray yes, but LOC completely don't reveal anything about project and it's code quality
Zach Dahl
@schtauffen
Jul 31 2017 16:55
oh sweet I found this https://github.com/anmonteiro/lumo
Lumo is a standalone ClojureScript environment that runs on Node.js and the V8 JavaScript engine. It starts up instantaneously and has out-of-the-box access to the entire Node.js ecosystem.