These are chat archives for jdubray/sam

21st
Aug 2017
Jean-Jacques Dubray
@jdubray
Aug 21 2017 00:09
Vue.JS itself is completely template agnostic, you can use handlebar/directive template as above, you can also use JSX, or even build it up very manually using es5 or es6 string interpolation if you prefer.
Daniel Neveux
@dagatsoin
Aug 21 2017 12:21
Guys, any thought on this analysis? Love React but if it is true, I prefer to find an alternative. https://medium.com/@raulk/if-youre-a-startup-you-should-not-use-react-reflecting-on-the-bsd-patents-license-b049d4a67dd2
Victor Noël
@victornoel
Aug 21 2017 12:35
What is there to say? things seem to be quite clear… and since the apache fundation legal team arrived to this conclusion, it is not some troll
Janne Siera
@jannesiera
Aug 21 2017 12:57
Use preact instead?
Johan Alkstål
@johanalkstal
Aug 21 2017 12:59
It's pretty clear that if your company ever ends up in a patent fight with Facebook, your right to React is void. I'd say it's a dick move. At the same time, the alternatives are abundant.
Daniel Neveux
@dagatsoin
Aug 21 2017 13:06
As I a side project owner I should say this is disappointing. I don't know where my project will go. But using React may close some financial opportunities as investor/bank/grant organization legal dpt should raise a red flag about project viability (or shares resell, I don't know the exact english worlds).
If it was just a browser frontend, the choice will be enough. But as I chose React Native...
There is Weex which could be the equivalent (https://weex.incubator.apache.org/) and use VueJS. I will take a look at it.
Johan Alkstål
@johanalkstal
Aug 21 2017 13:14
Never heard of Weex, thanks for the tip
Janne Siera
@jannesiera
Aug 21 2017 14:57
Weex looks to be a lot like PhoneGap
Daniel Neveux
@dagatsoin
Aug 21 2017 15:02
no, it seems to use the native rendering layer like RN. Phone gap use a webview.
Janne Siera
@jannesiera
Aug 21 2017 15:03
I see
Daniel Neveux
@dagatsoin
Aug 21 2017 15:03
(not sure because it states Native DOM in the doc)
so I guess we can get close to the perf of RN
Janne Siera
@jannesiera
Aug 21 2017 15:05
How about decoupling application code from view layer and ones financial opportunities come in the picture re-write the view layer only if necessary?
Also, do you really need extreme performance?
Daniel Neveux
@dagatsoin
Aug 21 2017 15:08
it is already decoupled but the view code will be the most important part of the code base, so in a business plan it could be hard to sell, because it leverages the risk and the time to market.
Janne Siera
@jannesiera
Aug 21 2017 15:11
In that case, wouldn't using a completely unfamiliar platform (Weex, ...) hamper time to market even more?
Daniel Neveux
@dagatsoin
Aug 21 2017 15:11
It is not really about perf (as on old phones, cordova perf is really behind native perf). But I need to access some openGL features that I can't in WebGL.
Janne Siera
@jannesiera
Aug 21 2017 15:11
I see
Daniel Neveux
@dagatsoin
Aug 21 2017 15:11
I don't think so. It is just JS.
the main effort will be rewriting the views React => JS
Janne Siera
@jannesiera
Aug 21 2017 15:12
I don't understand
React is also js?
Or do you mean Weex let's you write almost 'normal' html/css/js like if it was for the browser?
Daniel Neveux
@dagatsoin
Aug 21 2017 15:13
Sorry React > VueJS
Janne Siera
@jannesiera
Aug 21 2017 15:14
Ah, ok
Well, I don't know Weex but if it was me I would make sure how much new API and how many hard to debug/google bugs I would be dealing with
Remember that the React license MIGHT be a problem, but that chance isn't particularly high (although definitely a real concern)
So, if you're already familiar with RN, you really need to access openGL and time-to-market is very important it's also a risk NOT to choose React
Seems like you have quite a particular case that has no ideal solution for now
Daniel Neveux
@dagatsoin
Aug 21 2017 20:26
to close the story, here a good article about the legal risk to use React https://medium.com/@dwalsh.sdlr/react-facebook-and-the-revokable-patent-license-why-its-a-paper-25c40c50b562
Plus my comment and his answer here https://medium.com/@dwalsh.sdlr/hi-daniel-1b6ee25a7bda
Victor Noël