These are chat archives for learnclang/general

Jan 2015
elpie89
@elpie89
Jan 15 2015 00:14
I'm about to throw the mouse, every driving network refers curllib.lib
that in the current version does not exist anymore, now there libcurl.a (which obviously does not work)
I also tried to make me create the project from NuGet on visual studio
and by the same mistake
unresolved external symbol impcurl_easy_strerror referenced in function _main
I abandoned for tonight,
1-0 for libcurl
Marcus Ottosson
@mottosso
Jan 15 2015 09:28

Hi @elpie89 good work getting as far as you did, I'm having a look right now and I can see why it certainly isn't easy to get setup!

Right off the bat, I had issues trying to find an install for Windows on MinGW 32-bit, which did you use?

Here's some considerations I encountered, that must all go right, but can all go wrong:

1. Platform
  2. 32/64-Bit libcurl
  3. 32/64-bit MinGW
  4. Package (there looks to be around 100 of them)
  5. Where to install
  6. How to include
  7. How to compile/link

I found a few of guides on how to get libcurl running on Windows.

Which are both a little inaccurate and didn't lead me anywhere.

I started a Wiki page about it, let's exhaust every option until we find a good solution. At this point, I have no idea how to get it running.

Marcus Ottosson
@mottosso
Jan 15 2015 09:54

Oh, and one more thing, the .a file you were using yesterday, are you sure that wasn't a Linux file? It looks like the .a is to Linux what .lib is to Windows; static libraries, whereas .so is the equivalent on Linux to what .dll is on Windows; a dynamic libraries.

How exactly these differ I don't know, that is probably a whole other discussion.

I'm also considering whether Windows really is the easier platform to learn C upon, it might be a better idea to get familiar with Linux and use that as a learning platform.

@Byron I can see you're updating the repo, don't forget to document each step in the Wiki!
For example, about the new folder /lib/curl and curl-config.sh etc. There's loads of stuff new to me here.
elpie89
@elpie89
Jan 15 2015 10:10
thanks for the help @mottosso i will try tonight ,when i will back from work,for your first question i download the generic version 32bit
Marcus Ottosson
@mottosso
Jan 15 2015 10:11
Which generic? There are a few. Are you looking here? http://curl.haxx.se/download.html
Do you know which MinGW you have, 32-bit or 64-bit?
elpie89
@elpie89
Jan 15 2015 10:12
yes is minGW 32 bit
the download is this http://curl.haxx.se/download.html->Win32 - Generic->7.40.0 libcurl
Marcus Ottosson
@mottosso
Jan 15 2015 10:13
Ok, that does look right..
elpie89
@elpie89
Jan 15 2015 10:19
I'm thinking about whether it is better to abandon libcurl and open socket to make http requests, what do you thinking?
Marcus Ottosson
@mottosso
Jan 15 2015 10:24
I was looking at that too, there is the WinHttp library.
Looks a little more complicated to use, but maybe that's a good thing. :)
I didn't manage to include the winhttp.lib though, not sure where to find it, looks like it might not be included with MinGW
We might need Visual Studio
elpie89
@elpie89
Jan 15 2015 10:29
ok maybe is better, but i can not do anything now, I'll try tonight
Marcus Ottosson
@mottosso
Jan 15 2015 10:32
Same here, @elpie89 Let's get back on it tonight.
Sebastian Thiel
@Byron
Jan 15 2015 11:35
@mottosso I am currently uploading the 'making of' of the libcurl work to youtube, showing how it was done on OSX, on windows and on linux.
Please feel free to edit the titles on youtube, and of course to add links to them anywhere in the project.
I will not merge my branch as it's only purpose is to show one way of doing this, but again, feel free to do it if you see my adjustments fit the project.
Marcus Ottosson
@mottosso
Jan 15 2015 11:36
Aah, it's a separate branch, that's great! I didn't notice. Sounds good!
And for all platforms too? That's perfect! Thanks a lot!
elpie89
@elpie89
Jan 15 2015 19:09
@Byron thanks for the video
I just saw the video on windows
it's a crazy setup
i hate libcurl
elpie89
@elpie89
Jan 15 2015 19:16
Yesterday I thought I was stupid, I'm better now.
I saw that it was hard for you too, I continued to bounce from one problem to another
Sebastian Thiel
@Byron
Jan 15 2015 19:44
Every library you want to compile comes with its own challenges, and libcurl was definitely one of the better ones ! After all, for the most part it was my own silliness that caused problems.