These are chat archives for mono/monodevelop

Feb 2016
Julio-Tampan
@Julio-Tampan
Feb 10 2016 05:07

Recently installed Mono for Linux Mint 17.3 following correctly (I assumed it since there were no errors displayed) this guide http://www.mono-project.com/docs/getting-started/install/linux/#debian-ubuntu-and-derivatives.

Then proceeded to install Mono-Development following this guide http://www.monodevelop.com/download/linux/ and it all went fine until I tried "install monodevelop-database".

This is the error http://pastebin.com/REBPFRMy How can I fix it?

Toni Spets
@hifi
Feb 10 2016 05:52
looks like it's trying to install it from the mint/ubuntu repositories
meaning that isn't packaged in the monodevelop repositories
Julio-Tampan
@Julio-Tampan
Feb 10 2016 05:57
well, if you look up to the Mono installation guide it says that one should add an extra repositorie, which I did and no error message was displayed
Toni Spets
@hifi
Feb 10 2016 05:57
yes, but what I meant is that "monodevelop-database" only exists in the stock mint/ubuntu repositories
so it tries to install it for an older version of MD and there's a version conflict
that's what the error message says
you sure that you don't have the things that package contains already installed?
the official MD repository isn't necessarily packaged exactly like the stock one
Julio-Tampan
@Julio-Tampan
Feb 10 2016 06:02
After checkin at my Synaptic Package Manager it says that monodevelop-database is version 5.7 and monodevelop-nunit is 5.10. So I guess that I should expect the Mint team to make an update on the packages?
is there other way to check if the needed packages are already installed besides looking at Synaptic?
Toni Spets
@hifi
Feb 10 2016 06:03
no, the monodevelop repository you added contained the 5.10 packages
mint repositories contain all 5.7 packages
well, yes, you're technically right they should update to 5.10
but the conflict is because the MD repository contains partial 5.10 packages
have you confirmed the database functionality isn't enabled in your MD 5.10?
Julio-Tampan
@Julio-Tampan
Feb 10 2016 06:05
this is the first time using monodev, how can I do that?
I have monodev open right now
Toni Spets
@hifi
Feb 10 2016 06:05
well, do you need it for what you're doing? :)
I honestly don't know what that package provides, probably database connectivity support to MD projects, or not
Julio-Tampan
@Julio-Tampan
Feb 10 2016 06:09
to be honest I have no idea, when in doubt after thoroughly inform myself I tend to decide that I prefer to do the most complete installation without jeopardizing my OS stability and installing monodevelopment-database was not the case of worrying for unstability. I have to read more on the negative reviews of any app I'll admit that.
Toni Spets
@hifi
Feb 10 2016 06:09
looking at the package file list, yes, it contains support for database stuff
it could also be deprecated/removed from MD in 5.10
for what it's worth, here's the documentation of the add-in that you can't install: http://www.monodevelop.com/documentation/database-addin/
looks like a GUI database designer/manager
Julio-Tampan
@Julio-Tampan
Feb 10 2016 06:18
well, thanks it seems that I'll have to refer this to the Mint people since I can't do anything else from monodev, there is simply no way to add this package. They can't put in the repositories a 5.10 version without the matching add-in packages.
have a good day
Toni Spets
@hifi
Feb 10 2016 06:32
but the mint people didn't put 5.10, you did
hellboy81
@hellboy81
Feb 10 2016 06:55
Hi. I have opened in MD VS 2010 project with NuGet packages
I got message:
With Yes(Ja) it works
Also I have some questions:
  • Which binary is used If I build project under MonoDevelop under Ubuntu?
Actually not
hellboy81
@hellboy81
Feb 10 2016 07:24
Have you experience with adding JSON.NET NuGet package?
I got
 System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'Newtonsoft.Json, Version=4.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=c7439020c8fedf87' or one of its dependencies.
hellboy81
@hellboy81
Feb 10 2016 07:43
OK, solved
hellboy81
@hellboy81
Feb 10 2016 08:53
@cra0zy Is there possible to fetch all branches / change branch in monodevelop-versioncontrol
Toni Spets
@hifi
Feb 10 2016 08:59
on a related note, fixing the git integration could be interesting and painful
gasp but that would be doing free work for xamarin
hellboy81
@hellboy81
Feb 10 2016 09:32
@hifi What do you mean?
Toni Spets
@hifi
Feb 10 2016 09:33
there are a few issues with it that require attention to make it useful
Alexander Köplinger
@akoeplinger
Feb 10 2016 11:37
@hifi @Julio-Tampan I think monodevelop-database was deprecated. @DavidKarlas can you confirm?
David Karlaš
@DavidKarlas
Feb 10 2016 11:40
I think so, yes
Alexander Köplinger
@akoeplinger
Feb 10 2016 11:41
do you know when that happened? so I can fix the website
David Karlaš
@DavidKarlas
Feb 10 2016 11:42
not sure
that thing was not touch for so long and nobody used it
that I’m totally unware when it was depcreacated and stuff like that :(
Alexander Köplinger
@akoeplinger
Feb 10 2016 11:42
ok, I'll just put a deprecated note on the description page and remove it from the main download page
Toni Spets
@hifi
Feb 10 2016 11:42
was it a gui adapter/designer?
David Karlaš
@DavidKarlas
Feb 10 2016 11:43
@hifi don’t forget MonoDevelop is open source so it’s free to use, compile, modify... for anyone who wants to write C#, F#… not just Xamarin :P
@hifi probably something like that
Toni Spets
@hifi
Feb 10 2016 11:43
from what I've gathered, it's mostly used by mac people which use xamarin studio so technically your customers :p
(and probably with paid subscriptions for the SDKs!)
Harry
@cra0zy
Feb 10 2016 12:15
@hellboy81 I don't know, I am using the addin only to look at the changes I made
I use terminal to do all the git stuff
Harry
@cra0zy
Feb 10 2016 18:22
@hellboy81 Run "mozroots --import --sync" in terminal to fix the "Untrusted HTTP certificate" error
Alexander Köplinger
@akoeplinger
Feb 10 2016 18:24
@cra0zy this shouldn't be required if you're using the official packages
Harry
@cra0zy
Feb 10 2016 19:44
It is on Ubuntu, with official packages
Alexander Köplinger
@akoeplinger
Feb 10 2016 19:45
then it's not required as we run the cert syncing during package installation ;)
Harry