These are chat archives for nightscout/intend-to-bolus

Oct 2017
RedCyclist1
@RedCyclist1
Oct 10 2017 00:01
When run openaps mmtune
I get
monitor/mmtune.json raised /dev/spidev5.1 already in use
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/local/bin/openaps-report", line 82, in <module>
app( )
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/openaps/cli/init.py", line 51, in call
self.run(self.args)
File "/usr/local/bin/openaps-report", line 75, in run
output = app(args, self)
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/openaps/cli/subcommand.py", line 52, in call
return self.method.main(args, app)
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/openaps/reports/invoke.py", line 40, in main
output = task.method(args, app)
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/openaps/uses/use.py", line 44, in call
self.before_main(args, app)
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/openaps/vendors/medtronic.py", line 62, in before_main
self.setup_medtronic( )
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/mmeowlink/vendors/mmeowlink.py", line 92, in setup_medtronic
setup_medtronic_link(self)
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/mmeowlink/vendors/mmeowlink.py", line 75, in setup_medtronic_link
link = builder.build(radio_type, port)
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/mmeowlink/link_builder.py", line 16, in build
return SubgRfspyLink(port)
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/mmeowlink/vendors/subg_rfspy_link.py", line 55, in init
self.open()
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/mmeowlink/vendors/serial_interface.py", line 23, in open
raise AlreadyInUseException("%s already in use" % self.device)
mmeowlink.vendors.serial_interface.AlreadyInUseException: /dev/spidev5.1 already in use
Oct 10 2017 00:02
did you service stop cron && killall -g oref0-pump-loop first?
RedCyclist1
@RedCyclist1
Oct 10 2017 00:03
Any ideas? I have not been able to get one of our rigs to connect
@scottleibrand no
Oct 10 2017 00:03
you can only have one process using the radio at a time, otherwise you get the already in use error
if the rig gets that it will try to reboot to fix
RedCyclist1
@RedCyclist1
Oct 10 2017 00:04
@scottleibrand Not an openaps environment, run: openaps init
Oct 10 2017 00:04
that's from not doing cd ~/myopenaps first
Samuchco
@Samuchco
Oct 10 2017 00:42
it corrected by itself five minutes after I posted (at 17:25). Now Double Print. See attached pic.
Samuchco
@Samuchco
Oct 10 2017 00:52
Screenshot (2).png
updated to Ver 0.6.0
Samuchco
@Samuchco
Oct 10 2017 01:30
@scottleibrand I have the PUMP_FIELDS and PUMP_RETRO_FIELDS configured as you have it, but I don't get the Pill or data
Jon Cluck
@cluckj
Oct 10 2017 01:49
'bout to close this loop!
Cameron Chunn
@applehat
Oct 10 2017 01:49
do it!
Oct 10 2017 01:57
@cluckj :confetti_ball:
Samuchco
@Samuchco
Oct 10 2017 02:02
@danamlewis where can I learn about the setting on ver 0.6.0, like eSMB etc?
Cameron Chunn
@applehat
Oct 10 2017 02:03
@Samuchco openaps/oref0#707
Oct 10 2017 02:05
@applehat ;) :+1:
Oct 10 2017 02:07
@Samuchco if you don't have the pump pill at all, you have to ENABLE it.
Oct 10 2017 02:09
@scottleibrand assuming latest setup script would still work for an RP3 w/ TI stick (would like to use for bedside setup).
Samuchco
@Samuchco
Oct 10 2017 02:11
@scottleibrand done thanks. Take a look at my previous post. My son bloused for 40g and it showed on NS without the bolus. Just the 40g (also in the Treatment Report) five minutes later, it appeared this time with the insulin units (also in the Treatment Report). Now it has double print. Just wondering
Samuchco
@Samuchco
Oct 10 2017 02:18
Screenshot (3).png
Jon Cluck
@cluckj
Oct 10 2017 02:29
looping, I think :) pump is getting data but NS is slow on the uptake
Cameron Chunn
@applehat
Oct 10 2017 02:30
So, on my edison with USB plugged up, I can SSH in over usb0 (hard coded to 192.168.2.15)
Has anyone used this as a means to "tether" the rig?
Im trying to share my laptops internet to it, but i haven't been sucessful
Oct 10 2017 03:23
Good evening. I just updated oref0 on my rig and now I'm getting this:
Could not parse input data: [SyntaxError: /root/Doran/monitor/iob.json: Unexpected end of input]
Oct 10 2017 03:24

"override_high_target_with_low": false,
"skip_neutral_temps": false,
"bolussnooze_dia_divisor": 2,
"min_5m_carbimpact": 3,
"carbratio_adjustmentratio": 1
}

It sounds like maybe I should run oref0-runagain.sh?
Oct 10 2017 03:26
Did you skip that step in the update process? Or you already did it?
Oct 10 2017 03:27
I did it.
Oct 10 2017 03:27
K then should be fine from that
Oct 10 2017 03:27
And then I edited preferences.json to restore my max_iob and my multipliers.
Nightscout is saying OpenAPS hasn't checked in in 45 minutes.
(which is about the time I ran oref0-runagain.sh)
Oct 10 2017 03:29
That error usually means typo or weird quote marks in preferences. I don't see it at a glance, though
What else do your logs say?
Oct 10 2017 03:30
There are no other errors in the pump log.
Oct 10 2017 03:30
(Side note - if your safety multipliers are that high, I would think about considering SMB and adjust the multipliers back down to something else)
Have you rebooted since then?
Oct 10 2017 03:30
No. I'll do that.
I'd love to do SMB...
but I haven't wrapped my head around it yet. :)
I haven't figured out autotune yet either.
Oct 10 2017 03:31
Ok. Reboot and then if the same issue shows up after 5 min after reboot, will need to drill down manually
I'd recommend enabling Autotune first in your rig and make sure everything's sane there before doing SMB
Oct 10 2017 03:32
yeah, I got that from the docs.
Oct 10 2017 03:32
Funny, the docs saying the same thing as me :laughing:
Oct 10 2017 03:32
heh.

I ran the autotune command in the docs and it said:

Couldn't download ns-treatments.json

Still getting that iob.json error.
Hmmm. The API_SECRET in ~root/.profile doesn't look right.
I wonder why that would have changed.
Oct 10 2017 03:37
Cat your runagain and check it. (Don't of course paste your API secret )
Then if that looks fine, you may want to cat preferences.json | jq . to double check format of preferences
After that, time to run things manually if all else looks well
Oct 10 2017 03:39
Okay. I copied the API secret to .profile
jq didn't complain when I ran preferences.json through it.
Oct 10 2017 03:42
K. Drill down time
Oct 10 2017 03:43
I'm ready.
Jon Cluck
@cluckj
Oct 10 2017 03:45
hm, everything seems to be working except displaying temp basals in NS
mlab db size is okay (just cleaned it out), no future treatments, and it was displaying temp basals when I was running open looped androidaps :eyes:
@cluckj what version of NS are you on?
Jon Cluck
@cluckj
Oct 10 2017 03:50
latest, 0.10.0
Oct 10 2017 03:50
Try switching to latest dev
Jon Cluck
@cluckj
Oct 10 2017 03:50
thanks!
Oct 10 2017 03:52
@cluckj high five for already reading the docs and declaring what you've already tried!
Oct 10 2017 03:53
@Samuchco dunno. if you can reproduce it, we can dig in further.
Jon Cluck
@cluckj
Oct 10 2017 03:53
haha, this isn't my first rodeo ;)
Oct 10 2017 03:55
@cluckj :cow: :horse_racing:
Oct 10 2017 03:56
Ugh. I'm in a mell of a hess now.
I stopped the cron service and did the 'killall -g openaps'
Then I ran 'openaps pump-loop'
Now it seems like the pump loop is running in the background of the terminal.
It's complaining about /dev/spidev5.1 already being in use.
Maybe I should reboot.
Oct 10 2017 03:59
Killall -g oref0-pump-Loop
The docs need updating
Oct 10 2017 04:00
I tried that too.
Oct 10 2017 04:00
That should fix it
Oct 10 2017 04:00
oref0-pump-loop: no process found
Oct 10 2017 04:00
Crontab -l and see if you have multiple cron somehow?
Oct 10 2017 04:00
Multiple cron? Like a duplication of lines in my crontab?
I only see one line in the crontab that calls openaps pump-loop
Interestingly, the API_SECRET set in the crontab is wrong. :)
Oct 10 2017 04:02
K. Multiple cron might be happening if you had setup as edison and then as root , but you'd need to re log in as edison if you thought that was a possibility and crontab -l there too
Huh. Any idea how that happened?
Shouldn't be wrong if it is correct in your runagain and that's what you used to update?
Oct 10 2017 04:03
Yeah. I know.
Oct 10 2017 04:03
(Also that shouldn't yield an iob input error, so likely multiple things going on)
Oct 10 2017 04:03
I did a crontab -e -u edison and it's empty.
I thought we had to run as root on the Edison. I know we didn't have to do that on the RPi.
Oct 10 2017 04:06
Correct. Some people slipped up at start though, so always worth checking
Oct 10 2017 04:07
I'm looking at the 'ps aux' output and there are still processes running that I would have expected to have stopped once I stopped the cron service.
Like: /usr/bin/python /usr/local/bin/mmeowlink-any-pump-comms.py --port /dev/spidev5.1 --wait-for 30
AND: bash -c sleep $[ ( $RANDOM / 2048 ) ]s; until(echo Starting pump-loop at $(date): && openaps wait-for-silence && openaps refresh-old-pumphistory && openaps refresh-old-pumphistory-24h && openaps refresh-old-profile && openaps refresh-temp-and-enact && openaps refresh-pumphistory-and-enact && openaps refresh-profile && openaps refresh-pumphistory-24h && echo Completed pump-loop at $(date) && echo); do echo Error, retrying && [[ $RANDOM > 25000 ]] && openaps wait-for-long-silence && openaps mmtune; sleep 5; done
I'm rebooting.
Oct 10 2017 04:11
At one point you ran openaps pump-loop, which you shouldn't do.
It has been replaced by oref0-pump-loop.
Reboot is a good idea
Oct 10 2017 04:11
The troubleshooting doc Dana sent me to has that command in it. :)
Oct 10 2017 04:12
Please PR in a fix. :smile:
Oct 10 2017 04:13
Okay. I've rebooted.
So, instead of 'killall -g openaps' I'm supposed to run 'killall -g oref0-pump-loop', is that right?
I get no process found.
Am I running some ancient version of openaps?
When I do 'openaps alias show' it doesn't list anything for oref0-pump-loop.
Oct 10 2017 04:18
Ugh. I never should have listened to my wife when she suggested I update this thing and figure out how to turn on some of the newer features.
Jon Cluck
@cluckj
Oct 10 2017 04:19
it's not NS, the dev update didn't do it
Oct 10 2017 04:20
That's because oref0-pump-loop is not an openaps alias.
Oct 10 2017 04:20
It's not a process group name either.
Oct 10 2017 04:20
It's a unix command that should be in your path and in your crontab.
Jon Cluck
@cluckj
Oct 10 2017 04:20
I have a neat, inscrutible, mongodb error: "message": "The _id field cannot be changed from {_id: ObjectId('59dafb21ac9277f77d2a3093')} to {_id: \"59dafb21ac9277f77d2a3093\"}.",
"errmsg": "The _id field cannot be changed from {_id: ObjectId('59dafb21ac9277f77d2a3093')} to {_id: \"59dafb21ac9277f77d2a3093\"}."
Oct 10 2017 04:21
which oref0-pump-loop returns nothing.
Oct 10 2017 04:21
At this point I would re-run oref0-setup.
Oct 10 2017 04:21
Okay. I'll try that again.
Oct 10 2017 04:31
Okay. I ran setup again and rebooted.
I'm still getting the error in the pump log about iob.json
I also can not find a command 'oref0-pump-loop'

When I try to do tab complete on oref0<tab>, I get:

looks like you still have an old version of oref0 installed
Oct 10 2017 04:37
It wouldn't surprise me.
0.4.2?
Oct 10 2017 04:37
yeah, that's old
go follow the docs for upgrading that
Oct 10 2017 04:38
sighs I thought I did.
Oct 10 2017 04:38
k. try again and make note of anything that fails
Oct 10 2017 04:40
Thanks. I'm doing it now. Sorry for wasting everyone's time.
Should I get on the dev branch?
I'll get this running on master for now. :)
Oct 10 2017 04:45
yeah, it's easiest to go to master first, then dev when you're ready
Jon Cluck
@cluckj
Oct 10 2017 05:07
fixed it; something wack was going on with the treatments collection in mongo, I cleared the entries and now it's playing nicely and uploading new treatments from my new rig :)
Oct 10 2017 05:12
W00t! The rig is working again, on latest master. NS is happy.
(and so am I. I can go to bed now.)
Oct 10 2017 05:17
@cluckj :+1:
@fozzmoo :+1:
dmdfreak
@dmdfreak
Oct 10 2017 06:13
When I look at the mmtune logs it looks like I get a lot of mmtune: "916.636", 0, -99 is that normal? Or should I be looking for a pump replacement?
Oct 10 2017 06:18
@dmdfreak how far away is pump from rig? Did the -99 start popping up all of a sudden? And do you have multiple rigs to test various components ?
Make sure edison is firmly seated in the board, etc
dmdfreak
@dmdfreak
Oct 10 2017 06:23
Not very far from the pump. I had to reconnect bluetooth after accidentally deleting my connection while on the road. So it went like 6 hours with no connection. So after fixing BT I was watching the loggs and it went through MMTUNE with the bad code a couple times, so I looked up about mmtune which made me look at the mmtune log and I noticed a number of them in the past. It seems to connect fine. Just wondering if it was a sign that I should pay attention to it.
Only the one rig BTW
Marcus Lindfors
@Mackwe
Oct 10 2017 08:26
@dmdfreak "-99" means the rig can't communicate with the pump. Radio signal strength is too low. Maybe a broken antenna or just batteries failing in the pump? If it's an Explorer, you can buy an external antenna fairly cheap and just clip on. mmtune will give you the signal strenght every time it runs. -99 is maxed out 0 is perfect (you can't get that good). Try a new battery in the pump and place the pump next to the rig and 'openaps mmtune'. If you get -99 then, get an antenna. =)
Marcus Lindfors
@Mackwe
Oct 10 2017 08:37
Installed oref0 on an Ubuntu vm for autotune purposes. Everything looks good up until running oref0-setup:
added process://ns/nightscout/ns NIGHTSCOUT_HOST API_SECRET /usr/local/bin/nightscout: line 338: json: command not found close failed in file object destructor: sys.excepthook is missing lost sys.stderr Traceback (most recent call last): File "/usr/local/bin/openaps-import", line 89, in <module> app( ) File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/openaps/cli/__init__.py", line 51, in __call__ self.run(self.args) File "/usr/local/bin/openaps-import", line 77, in run candidates = json.load(args.input) File "/usr/lib/python2.7/json/__init__.py", line 291, in load **kw) File "/usr/lib/python2.7/json/__init__.py", line 339, in loads return _default_decoder.decode(s) File "/usr/lib/python2.7/json/decoder.py", line 364, in decode obj, end = self.raw_decode(s, idx=_w(s, 0).end()) File "/usr/lib/python2.7/json/decoder.py", line 382, in raw_decode raise ValueError("No JSON object could be decoded") ValueError: No JSON object could be decoded Could not run nightscout autoconfigure-device-crud
Any suggestion on what to do?
thisistw
@thisistw
Oct 10 2017 10:29
Hello, new to the whole OpenAPS scene and what a great job!
I'm UK based and in the process of building my first (edison) rig and have read most of the doc at openAPS, diabettech and others.
My question is relating to the choice of CGM...
I'm currently using (before looping) a freestyle libre with a Sonysmart watch / Xdrip+, which uploads to Nightscout, so I am under the impression that I could use this with openAPS but would face issues if I go without internet connection. So, what are peoples opinions on the best option for CGM, both in terms of cost and ease of integration.
Its really between:I've spoken to Dexcom and could get a G5 mobile,
or Medtronic
Sorry - I'll finish typing...
Between Dexom G5 and Medtronic Enlite (although supply seems an issue with metronic at the moment).
fidoman
@efidoman
Oct 10 2017 10:33
@thisistw - my personal experience. freestyle libre w/ sw3 was extremely inaccurate far too often & no chance for offline looping, medtronic enlite was ok for accuracy and was the most comfortable in terms of setup and offline looping, g5 is the most accurate by far and a little bit harder to offline loop.
thisistw
@thisistw
Oct 10 2017 10:50

The medtronic enlite appears it would cost about £2520/year ($3323 USD)
The G5 appears it would cost about £3402/year ($4487 USD) (excluding introductory discount on first pack and no receiver).

I have found with using my Libre that the readings are usually no more that 0.3mmol/L (5mg/dL) different once calibrated within Xdrip - using the Libre reader I would agree the values can be much larger

fidoman
@efidoman
Oct 10 2017 10:57
Interesting about libre calibrations with Xdrip. I never tried that but makes sense that the xdrip calibration algorithm is better. Another reason I stopped using the Libre was the requirement to wear and charge the sw3. It got in the way in my case. Your g5 vs enlite calculations look right to me. However, I would say that the g5 sensors average 2 weeks for me so far. The battery replacement process I use with the g5 transmitter is tedious and requires glue. It is much easier with the enlite transmitter recharging. I'm going to try using no glue and a 3-d printed cap with my next g5 transmitter battery change
dmdfreak
@dmdfreak
Oct 10 2017 11:05
I get as many as 3 weeks out of my g5 sensors usually.
thisistw
@thisistw
Oct 10 2017 11:08
Transmitter battery changing and the sensors being extended does start to shift the balance of cost.
dmdfreak
@dmdfreak
Oct 10 2017 11:10
Understand that changing the batteries isn't easy at all. One miss step and the transmitter is toast.
I tried once and have to lol..... but others have better luck
Gave up*
cameronrenwick
@cameronrenwick
Oct 10 2017 12:46
in order to run fully offline with G4, dexcom receiver and EB(v1.2 2017)/edison rig, what size of USB battery is sufficient for a ~day worth of use?
jaylagorio
@jaylagorio
Oct 10 2017 13:53
@cameronrenwick I've got this one that runs for about 24 hours straight, it's 10A/h: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0194WDVHI/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
#DiabeticinJapan
@LuminaryXion_twitter
Oct 10 2017 14:13
Hi! Does anyone know a date place to download the 2.0.0.150937786 version of Android wear?
Sorry, a safe place
cameronrenwick
@cameronrenwick
Oct 10 2017 14:43
@jaylagorio thanks for your info re the 10000 mah battery. I am going to be away at Christmas and need to be able to loop fully off line. Can I ask, how do you keep the battery, rig and dexcom transmitter all together? Do you have some sort of bag or container? I'm thinking as I'll be at a beach holiday and exposure to water is likely that maybe I'll use a waterproof ipad bag or something. Any advice or suggestions appreciated.
jaylagorio
@jaylagorio
Oct 10 2017 14:55
I keep the Edison in a project box (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EWXIJBM/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and I cut notches in the sides for the USB OTG cable. I also put a lipo in it, which is important because you can't charge the USB battery and have it power the rig at the same time. I'm looking for one that can, but haven't had luck yet. What I do to charge it is I switch the OTG cable from being plugged into the battery to being plugged into a USB extension, which is itself plugged into a 2-slot USB charger. The other slot is plugged into the USB battery to charge. A two wire solution isn't the best, but it works pretty well and is fully offline.
The battery is stuck to the detachable side of the project box with a 3M sticky pad, and then I use velcro strips to hold the receiver against the side of the project box+battery
Jon Cluck
@cluckj
Oct 10 2017 15:14
I put mine in a harmonica case (in the key of C, btw), until I can 3D print a fancier one
Marco
@CaptainBalou
Oct 10 2017 15:15

@CaptainBalou the Invalid Date string itself doesn't come directly from any of the oref0 code

Yes I thought that but I cannot see where it comes from. And I have no idea how to fix this lack of knowledge. ;-)

Oct 10 2017 15:16
@Mackwe you either need to install json or get your code updated to use jq . instead. The latest oref0 0.5.5 release does the latter, but if you're already on that perhaps a spot was missed.
cameronrenwick
@cameronrenwick
Oct 10 2017 15:20
thanks for the advice on offline looping and cases. I am particularly interested in how (if) ppl are keeping the rig, dexcom receiver and usb battery dry/protected. I'm assuming that the best bet is one of these https://www.amazon.ca/Universal-Waterproof-MoKo-Pouch-Tablets/dp/B01AJP1P04/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1507648780&sr=1-1&keywords=waterproof+ipad+case but am looking for suggestions... don't want too big a case.. but can't be too small either...
jaylagorio
@jaylagorio
Oct 10 2017 15:21
Unfortunately I can't offer advice on that particular aspect because I'm not doing anything myself. Sorry!
Oct 10 2017 15:51
we use a similar pouch when taking the rig to the beach or other water activities
JELCRAWFORD
@JELCRAWFORD
Oct 10 2017 16:36
@PieterGit - we checked last night when we saw your previous post to make sure all settings were updated across preference files. Everything is ok on our end, though we've changed multiple things, multiple times in the past 2mos and don't remember if we had to do anything manually re: ISF, so it may not be a good indicator. I know @pampopcorn
also changed when we did
There's a couple people who have tried waterproof bags while their pumps are still attached to them, but I haven't bothered. If pump is on it's on, if it's off then it's in a baggies and/or the waterproof bag.
JELCRAWFORD
@JELCRAWFORD
Oct 10 2017 16:48
@cameronrenwick - we have a waterproof pump bag that works well - I think it may give marginally less insulin which seems to nicely match the marginal exercise the boy exerts :) (he's a very good floater!). For more active times in the pool/ocean we have also just taken the pump off. In the kayak he wears the pump in the bag, under his farmerjohn wetsuit pants. This was at the advice of a mom whose kid is a high level paddler and who has ripped out many a pump site in the boat (she puts hers in her bra, something that is probably about as helpful to you as to Jacob!). Because he can be in the kayak/on the water for a couple of hours, without easy access, it did not work well to be without anything. We still set a high temp target though and will adjust things as he needs - it helps that we are not usually also on the water at the same time. We then use a waterproof bag for the pancreas and phone - bought at MEC which all go in a good sized pocket on the PFD. We have a few waterproof phone bags that work well also. For beach stuff, our primary concern is actually keeping sand out and J having the ability to have a snack. Usually in that case we put the whole rig in a small cooler, we temp zero and suspend the pump, and we correct when the boy eats. Mostly it works ok, probably because he likes to eat often. Because we are using xdrip, when he stays close by the cooler bag we still often will get a BG reading to the various phones that are not tucked away. Sometimes I will take the cooler and wander closer to him on the beach so I can see whats up with BG without interrupting his fun by asking for a poke, or for him to come close by me to get a reading.
as an aside, we also have have a medium sized drybag - this summer I had it at the beach with us and wasn't paying attention to its placement (in the sun) - when I opened it, it was very hot inside, not ideal for insulin. We swapped the insulin for new when we got back to the trailer. It was a good reminder to still be mindful of where you place your things relative to the heat factor.
Oct 10 2017 16:51
:+1:
live4sw
@live4sw
Oct 10 2017 17:17
@cameronrenwick I was going to go on a sailing outing that got cancelled, but found this case which got good reviews - https://aquapacusa.com/shop/waterproof-insulin-pump/waterproof-insulin-pump-case/
cameronrenwick
@cameronrenwick
Oct 10 2017 17:21
thanks everyone and especially @JELCRAWFORD ... dunno why I didn't think of MEC. My thing is that I want to be able to use the waterproof case for the usb battery, the rig and the dexcom receiver to protect for a wet/sandy environment. Trying all this gear into a bag at MEC is a great idea. Short of that, learning what someone else has done (ie: all the stuff fits!) is my current ..hmmmm. thx!
JELCRAWFORD
@JELCRAWFORD
Oct 10 2017 17:24
It's a bit nerve wracking to put all the gear in a waterproof bag at first. We've had no troubles though - fingers crossed. In the end we have the added factor of the handling of gear by an 11yo - eventhough he's responsible for 11, his decisions are sometimes, I guess as would be expected, sketch.
IMG_1398.JPG
@cameronrenwick you can still use touch features of phone through plastic on bag - rear side of bag is clear rubberized plastic
cameronrenwick
@cameronrenwick
Oct 10 2017 17:55
thank you so much for your pictures and advice. I very much appreciate it! I only hope I can return the advice/favour to someone else here!
Oct 10 2017 18:07
@cameronrenwick unfortunately, have had experience with exposing my rig to water---dropped it in my drink...doh. I have anice little waterproof setup for my rig which workss very well.....just used the samller case to rtain explorer and 2000mah battery...works awesome for me...
here's link.
nice side benefit that you can see through it easily..
John Sjolund
@sjolundjohn
Oct 10 2017 18:10

Hi - I am thinking of doing a big update of my Rigs - being on Fiasp the 0.6.0 algorithm is very attractive. Any comments on a) when to go about doing this. IE is it soon to move out of dev so I should wait?

Additionally, and insights or readings I should review before digging in? Thanks in advance!

Oct 10 2017 18:12
@sjolundjohn I'd start by reading openaps/oref0#707. it's still highly evolving and highly experimental, so not ETA on shipping to dev (so if you want exponential curves, yes switch to dev). That being said - I'm recommending anyone switching to dev be willing to watch the PR and suggest planning on updating every few days because we keep making fixes and tweaks.
John Sjolund
@sjolundjohn
Oct 10 2017 18:12
Thanks
Oct 10 2017 18:12
:+1:
you don't HAVE to, but 2/3 times when someone comes in with a comment/suggestion for fixing something and their dev is 5-8 days old, it's been fixed in the last 2-3 days or is about to be merged to dev :)
Oct 10 2017 18:23
@scottleibrand do you think your algorithm could be amended to treat rescue carbs differently than ordinary meal/snack carbs? If so, perhaps in addition to NS careportal entry option for distinct rescue carbs...maybe manual entry on the insulin pump...under CAPTURE EVENT...may be beneficial.....thinking of convenience factor alone..especially when at or encroaching on hypo situation....
Oct 10 2017 18:25
if you want to do something different, if anything for rescue carbs, I'd recommend a short, high temp target to disable SMB's for those carbs when you see an uptick in BG's
Oct 10 2017 18:30
@danamlewis that's a good idea for sure....just thinking real world...less than ideal dealing with all those steps when you just want your BG to be treated asap..ya know?
Oct 10 2017 18:40
yep, i know. that's why i'm having a hard time fathoming entering carbs on the phone during a low is easier than tapping a pre-programmed button :) #YDMV
Oct 10 2017 18:46
say for like 15 rescue carbs and temp high IFTTT button?
Oct 10 2017 18:48
yep. or 4 carbs and a high temp target, whatever combo(s) of carbs + target you want
Oct 10 2017 18:48
you know what's harder than that...
Oct 10 2017 18:48
and I also recommend a cancel temp target button (for everyone, regardless of this), so if you change your mind and want to allow SMB's for the rise (because say, you ate more carbs because something was yummy, not that I ever ;) do this), you can easily cancel the temp target
Oct 10 2017 18:49
opening up a small bag of fruit snacks and only eating a portion of the bag as not to over-treat---can do it---most times...but its kinda hard...admittedly ...
Oct 10 2017 18:49
hehe yup
see above comment
Cameron Chunn
@applehat
Oct 10 2017 18:50
i eat junk i dont need for a carb correction all the time because my office stocks tons of terrible snacks and I lack self control
One of the best parts of SMB and UAM (and openaps in general) is that I can do that now =P
Tore Bjørndalen
@BjoTore_twitter
Oct 10 2017 18:53
Updating dev and I saw this passing by:
Cleaning up...
fatal: destination path '/root/.xDripAPS' already exists and is not an empty directory.
importing xdrip-cgm file
Cameron Chunn
@applehat
Oct 10 2017 18:53
Thats fine - it just means xDripAPS was already installed.
Tore Bjørndalen
@BjoTore_twitter
Oct 10 2017 18:54
Fatal???
Cameron Chunn
@applehat
Oct 10 2017 18:54
(tho it wouldn't be a bad idea to make that 'fail' a little cleaner)
Fatal Error trying to install xDrip - xDrip already installed.
Tore Bjørndalen
@BjoTore_twitter
Oct 10 2017 18:54
thx
Cameron Chunn
@applehat
Oct 10 2017 18:54
Fatal Error just means a process was forced to stop - in this case its much less dire then it sounds =)
Oct 10 2017 18:59
is there a feature to turn SMB on all the time...not sure I'd want to necessarily..but was just considering..
Oct 10 2017 19:00
yes, in dev
Oct 10 2017 19:00
preference.json variable
?
Oct 10 2017 19:01
openaps/oref0#707
Oct 10 2017 19:04
right...saw this part...
Other SMB adjustments include: The preference of enabling SMB to always be on. (Leaving this as false (off) means the existing SMB toggles for carbs, temp targets, etc. will be what drives SMB behaviors.)
meanign just remembered that I saw it..
but what;s the exact format?
Oct 10 2017 19:14
"enableeSMB_always": true ?
regdubbed
@regdubbed
Oct 10 2017 19:37
Hi! I'm still struggling running my rig from NS data. The timestamps seem to get messed up. Here's what's in cgm/ns-glucose.json:
"dateString": "2017-10-10T19:20:02+02:00",
"sgv": 101,
"date": 1507641602674,
"device": "medtronic-600://6212-1079976",
"_id": "59dcc9988552191d7a7a4ae8",
And here's whats in the Database:
"_id": "59dcc9988552191d7a7a4ae8",
"date": 1507641602674,
"dateString": "Tue Oct 10 15:20:02 GMT+02:00 2017",
"device": "medtronic-600://6212-1079976",
Any ideas?
what code is doing the conversion?
Oct 10 2017 20:03
@garykidd spelled enableSMB_always (check the diff in the PR to see where it's defined in lib/profile/index.js)
@regdubbed what timezone is your rig in? what time does it say for date (for localtime) and date -u (for UTC)? are those both right?
Oct 10 2017 20:40
thx
@danamlewis just curious---understanding that it's not a recommendation... do you have enableSMB_always set to true
regdubbed
@regdubbed
Oct 10 2017 21:00
Tue Oct 10 22:58:48 CEST 2017 or Tue Oct 10 20:58:54 UTC 2017
Which both is correct
Oct 10 2017 21:07
hmmm...still having trouble finding...sorry
regdubbed
@regdubbed
Oct 10 2017 21:07
$NIGHTSCOUT_HOST/api/v1/entries/sgv.json also shows Tue Oct 10 15:20:02 GMT+02:00 2017
but with report invoke cm/ns-glucose.json, thr timestamp ends up in the future
Oct 10 2017 21:15
@scottleibrand @danamlewis when Iw as diagnosed the only way you could adjust your your regimen was to analyze how much glucose you were spilling in your urine. Am impressed how much things have accelerated lately and it makes me wonder how much things in tangential areas will advance in their trajectory. Some are so impressed when I explain my rig setup to them...and on one level I am impressed too...but on another level I think how disappointed I am with advances in diabetes management. Having said all this I continue to marvel in your dedication and support for the movement. I still wish I could do more...and will continue ways to explore. Thank You.
PieterGit
@PieterGit
Oct 10 2017 21:32

carb ratio turned out to be ~14. First day the autotune results are really close to pump values:

Parameter      | Pump     | Autotune
-------------------------------------
ISF [mg/dL/U]  | 126.000  | 128.142
Carb Ratio[g/U]| 14.000   | 14.205

Results of today:

image.png
Oct 10 2017 21:33
@garykidd please note openaps/oref0#690 with regard to enableSMB_always. some of us who have well-tuned basals and ratios, are using a G4 or G5, and practice good calibration, sensor replacement, and carb entry habits, have found enableSMB_always useful, but it definitely comes with more risk than the other options, so at this time we're not documenting it or having it appear in preferences.json by default.
PieterGit
@PieterGit
Oct 10 2017 21:33
i'll try to PR the findings to the docs, but that will be next week because of foreign trip
Oct 10 2017 21:33
@PieterGit glad you got that figured out!
what was the CR you were using before when having problems?
PieterGit
@PieterGit
Oct 10 2017 21:34
pump CR during day was much lower
Oct 10 2017 21:34
so were you previously bolusing based on something close to 14?
PieterGit
@PieterGit
Oct 10 2017 21:37
during day it was lower 10 to 14, but in night 19, see oct. 04 23:58 in private chat for complete carb ratio settings
i don't use enableSMB_always
Oct 10 2017 21:38
ah, that's right. so breakfast and lunch were too low, but dinner was about right.
Oct 10 2017 21:38
hmmm...wondering as an intermediate step before accepting constant SMBs...would it make sense to trigger with a small manual bolus of 0.1 to enable SMB manually f r period of time...?
Oct 10 2017 21:38
too-low CRs early in the day seems to be a common pattern. we might prioritize doing multiple CR autotuning sooner rather than later to help people figure that out
@garykidd it's not possible to distinguish between a 0.1u manual bolus and a 0.1u microbolus
(unless you use the bolus wizard, which we don't recommend for avoidance of a52 errors)
so the available methods of enabling SMB are to enter carbs or set a <100 temp target
PieterGit
@PieterGit
Oct 10 2017 21:40
yeah, multple CR autotuning would be benificial, because with a multiple CR, the rig will do different CR than oref0 during the day. autotune, only changes the first records of the carb_ratios array. finding the problem is quite hard, because users tend to believe the autotune CR is valid and correct the whole day.
Oct 10 2017 21:41
enter cabs via bolus wizard...or via careportal...but not by CAPTURE EVENT...correct?
Oct 10 2017 21:41
I don't know if capture event works or not: someone needs to test and document results
most people using SMB use IFTTT to enter carbs via phone buttons or watch
Oct 10 2017 21:42
doesnt seem to work on dev...at least
jaylagorio
@jaylagorio
Oct 10 2017 21:44
The plural of anecdote is not data, but I've also had trouble having OpenAPS pick up carbs entered into Nightscout. I haven't experienced trouble having it pick them up when entered with the bolus wizard.
Oct 10 2017 21:44
@garykidd <3 :+1:
jaylagorio
@jaylagorio
Oct 10 2017 21:44
It's hit or miss. So far the twice it's been miss is entered via phone while doing BT tethering on the go.
No problems over local wifi
Oct 10 2017 21:45
@jaylagorio i'm very clearly on dev and not having any issues. is it issues with connectivity to rig that's the actual problem?
k
that's likely it then
Oct 10 2017 21:45
@jaylagorio they show up immediately in NS but the rig doesn't successfully download them?
Oct 10 2017 21:45
I don't use IFTTT much but understand its value and may consider changing routine. My opinion is that a direct way via the pump offers some advantages over a button that has additional aspects to rely upon.
Oct 10 2017 21:45
we should probably improve our logging to ns-loop.log to better diagnose the impact of flaky rig connectivity on glucose, carb, and temptarget download
jaylagorio
@jaylagorio
Oct 10 2017 21:46
I don't think so, because the NS display is updated in real time (with the new BGs and changes in basal display) but the rig doesn't seem to be picking them up
Oct 10 2017 21:46
if you'd like to take on that project (of improving ns-loop.log logging) that would be appreciated
jaylagorio
@jaylagorio
Oct 10 2017 21:46
The OpenAPS pill continues to update on time over multiple cycles
I can take a look at that after the G5 upload thing
Oct 10 2017 21:47
:+1:
Oct 10 2017 21:47
NS uploads in general could use some attention, likely some battery life improvements to be had. no one's looked at that in over a year. not on our list, just throwing it out there as something that would likely benefit the community
(in case battery life is bugging anyone enough to want to do something about it)
jaylagorio
@jaylagorio
Oct 10 2017 21:48
Battery life as in the NS uploads aren't efficient?
Oct 10 2017 21:49
FYI, I closed that issue out over the weekend due to lack of interest in tackling it. can always reopen it or open a new one if that changes
PieterGit
@PieterGit
Oct 10 2017 21:49
i'm thinking of writing a oref0_temp_target.py that can read/write the temp target from the command line. i'm thinking of including an option that will also look back in the pump history and in case a (large) meal bolus has been done can set a activity temp target. i don't want to rely on iftt stuff
Oct 10 2017 21:50
I agree we'll want some way for the rig to set its own temp targets and merge them with the ones from NS. (Will need that for the offline web page stuff we want to do.) Not sure about taking automatic temp target action based on boluses etc. in pumphistory...
if we wanted to do anything differently based on bolus activity, we could do so directly without the intermediary of a temp target
PieterGit
@PieterGit
Oct 10 2017 21:50
it would be configurable :smile: and should be optimized from the crontab line to match your wishes
Oct 10 2017 21:51
well, we can set configurable options in the algorithm too. if you have a tweak you think needs to be made to the algorithm for a subset of users, let's discuss that directly
obviously if you want to experiment with things yourself you can use temp targets to simulate things
but for actually making things available more generally I'd like to do as little overloading of temp targets as we can manage
especially since they're getting so many functions tied to them already with enabling/disabling SMBs and setting exercise mode sensitivityRatios
Oct 10 2017 21:57
just thinking that the CAPTURE EVENT option might be a nice way to exploit distinct entries into NS...understanding its easy to identify so called options for consideration...and much much harder to get them implemented...if they turn out to be worthwhile in the end.
PieterGit
@PieterGit
Oct 10 2017 21:59
@scottleibrand here's a picture
image.png
Oct 10 2017 22:01
@garykidd if you want to dig into that code, the whole "identifying carb entries properly from pumphistory" thing could use some attention
PieterGit
@PieterGit
Oct 10 2017 22:02
i don't use excercise mode yet. but i noticed that the combination of active insulin (and possible smb's) in combination with activity can lead to too fast falling bg's
Oct 10 2017 22:03
@PieterGit it looks like you're mostly using activity mode to disable SMBs. is there any way to detect from your data when SMBs should be off, without requiring someone to set activity mode?
Oct 10 2017 22:03
@scottleibrand thanks. I'm probably not qualified enough (yet). Was thinking in enrolling in a coding class at local community college to see if that might get me closer to being able to potentially influence some coding here or close to this project.
Oct 10 2017 22:03
@PieterGit if not, it might be safest to disable SMBs until/unless you're willing to set activity mode for activity
@garykidd I think you underestimate your ability to learn things on your own when you have an interesting project to motivate you. :) there are quite a few online tutorials to get you started, and then Google (usually pointing to StackOverflow) is a great tool (which all of us still use no matter how much we know)
Oct 10 2017 22:04
Thanks, Scott. WIll check that out.
PieterGit
@PieterGit
Oct 10 2017 22:05
didn't dig in the data enough, and this is just a rough idea. i'm thinking that some kind of auto detecting activity, and auto setting high target for excercise mode (e.g. based on phone GPS or steps) would be a very good for us.
smb was very effictive for eating soon mode, perhaps using "enableSMB_with_bolus"=false and "enableSMB_with_COB"=false with this CR will fix it without any temp targets.
i'm looking in ways to minimize the number of actions and still have good bg in range
PieterGit
@PieterGit
Oct 10 2017 22:19
@scottleibrand : will first have a go with only "enableSMB_with_temptarget" to see, if that fixes the fast falling bg's during activity. will report back. out for now.
Oct 10 2017 22:21
yeah, if you only find SMBs useful before meals, I agree that's a good approach.