These are chat archives for nightscout/intend-to-bolus

May 2019
fidoman
@efidoman
May 18 00:29
@kachytronico - I've got progress already. The IOS Shortcut already collects IOB. Next up COB, BG, and Tick. I may have a first prototype shortcut for you to try tomorrow night.
Garrett Webb
@garetis
May 18 03:28
So I've been off the loop for a bit, but looking to get back on. I want to upgrade my G5 to the G6. I scanned through the docs to look at G6 integration and I saw a couple reference but to me just seemed like "coming soon" etc. I recall hearing that it was generally supported without a lot of issues. Just wanted to confirm how well the G6 worked before converting over. I use a 715 with explorer/edison and Pi3 with a ti stick as a second home rig. Any thoughts?
Jon Cluck
@cluckj
May 18 03:50
been using it for a while, it's pretty great
Dana Lewis
@danamlewis
May 18 10:42
G6 works online, no issues. The offline capabilities are the ones that are mentioned in the docs - the usual caveats around DIY algorithm for cgm processing for offline use.
Garrett Webb
@garetis
May 18 15:35
Thanks guys. @cluckj I should have mentioned that I loop almost exclusively offline, how's your experience there? Also, do you try to extend beyond 10 days or is it not worth the bother?
Jon Cluck
@cluckj
May 18 15:36
@garetis which method are you using for offline looping?
Garrett Webb
@garetis
May 18 15:37
Haha... um, there's more than one method?
I don't use NS at all
Jon Cluck
@cluckj
May 18 15:38
yes :) xdrip+ sending data over a bluetooth tether, xdrip-js getting data from the transmitter, and a plugged-in receiver
I mostly use xdrip+ over tether, with its automatic sensor restart -- and I rarely get more than 14 days out of a G6 sensor (about the same as I was able to get out of a G5)
(and I get tired of fingersticking to keep an eye on the G6 after the restart)
Garrett Webb
@garetis
May 18 15:44
Ah, ok. I have to go look in the docs. I think it was xdrip+ and using my receiver in parallel for the Edison/Explorer. For the Pi3/cc1111 I would have to plug in my receiver and wasn't using it that much, choosing to focus on the other rig. Ditto for lifetime of G5 sensors.
I misspoke, I installed xdrip-js and was using that in tandem with my receiver
I tried x-drip+ but didn't like it, or wasn't able to use the receiver and I like being able to upload and analyze the data as well with Clarity
That "automatic sensor restart" sounds a lot easier than what some other processes were proposed when I was looking into the web and might be worth it to work with xdrip+
Garrett Webb
@garetis
May 18 15:50
I installed Lookout and was using that
Natalia
@NataliaStanich_twitter
May 18 16:17
I'm also looking in to alternate methods for looping other than NS. Right now my NS feeds my xdrip as I have not been able to get a reading from just G5 to xDrip alone. My NS site crashes incessantly and it's just becoming really unreliable.
I tried to use my G5 as the data source for xdrip but it won't read :/
I also currently do not have a G5 receiver
TranceCake
@TranceCake
May 18 16:39
So I'm connecting some new hardware together for a new rig. It's a powerboost 1000 + 2x 18650 li ion batteries, a pi0 and an rfm69 radio transmitter. I was wondering if there is any difference to using the USB power output of the powerboost to power the pi0 through it's usb port, versus connecting the v5 pins and the ground pins of both together? I looked online and people were saying that the usb option is better since it has a fuse to protect it, but I think that it's not there on the pi0, so it wont matter. Is there anyone more knowledgeable than me that knows this for sure?
Scott Leibrand
@scottleibrand
May 18 17:14
If you don’t get a response here, try https://gitter.im/openaps/hardware-dev for detailed hardware question.
Eric
@ecc1
May 18 17:17
@TranceCake pretty sure the 5V rail is the same on the whole module, that should be fine. But connecting batteries in parallel is tricky, safer to use a single higher capacity cell
TranceCake
@TranceCake
May 18 18:06
@ecc1 thanks! Do you mean that the batteries might get out of sync? I have been told that and they also said that this could be fixed by getting a smart charger for them.
I just googled it and found that if they get out of sync the stronger battery may start charging the weaker one and if the current is high enough, it may cause a fire. Is the load from the pi large enough to do that though?
TranceCake
@TranceCake
May 18 18:14
thx @scottleibrand
Eric
@ecc1
May 18 21:15
@TranceCake yes, that's what I meant. I think the main risk is when initially connecting them, since they will equalize --potentially catastrophically if one is full and the other empty