These are chat archives for node-forward/discussions

12th
Nov 2014
Martin Heidegger
@martinheidegger
Nov 12 2014 00:57
@quarterto No I don't mean node-webkit. I mean an access to node without the shell. I know that this thought is sort of heretic but having settings for npm, managing global packages or projects could perhaps use a user interface.
Evan Tahler
@evantahler
Nov 12 2014 01:00
@martinheidegger I'm having trouble wrapping my head around what you are asking for. I read this as GIU configuration tool for package.json files? I've seen something like this for rails apps once: https://github.com/RailsApps/rails-composer
Martin Heidegger
@martinheidegger
Nov 12 2014 02:51
@evantahler Well: If you install nodejs on a mac these days all you "get" is a command line tool. Don't get me wrong: its cool. But for beginners it is sort of a black box. I think a UI could do following.
1) Offer a tutorial to get started with the first nodejs code
2) Offer a tool / display to set the global npm settings (and show them): npm set / npm get etc.
3) Offer a tool that lists the npm packages (particularly the ones that are often installed with -g) to install them globally (i.e.: coffeescript)
4) Offer a tool where you can add folders as "projects". Every project added has automatic (visual!) checks for the validity of the package.json (Eventually outdated dependency checks) buttons for all the enabled scripts (run/publish/etc.)
Mikeal Rogers
@mikeal
Nov 12 2014 05:03
yes :)
Martin Heidegger
@martinheidegger
Nov 12 2014 05:09
yes?
Mikeal Rogers
@mikeal
Nov 12 2014 20:55
@bnoordhuis @indutny @piscisaureus @trevnorris TC Meeting :)