These are chat archives for opal/opal

3rd
Apr 2015
Jared White
@jaredcwhite
Apr 03 2015 02:34
Hey all, I'm putting together ideas for a regular email newsletter covering Opal and related Ruby/front-end topics - mixture of links and some original content. I feel like between GitHub issues and Gitter, lots of good stuff is happening all the time but hardly anyone knows about it. There's a newsletter I get that covers Rails Dev progress
for example and it's really useful. Anyway, would love your ideas and feedback! cc @adambeynon @elia @ryanstout @fkchang
Ryan Stout
@ryanstout
Apr 03 2015 03:01
@jaredcwhite sounds great. Sign me up :-)
Forrest Chang
@fkchang
Apr 03 2015 06:31
@jaredcwhite I'm up for that, I'd be happy to contribute as I am able to find time. There's been tons of good stuff on irc, though that seems to have died down now that gitter is getting done adoption. One thing for the newsletter could just be good nuggets from irc or gitter since the last newsletter
Kurtis Rainbolt-Greene
@krainboltgreene
Apr 03 2015 06:42
Same.
Elia Schito
@elia
Apr 03 2015 08:06
me too
David Chang
@zetachang
Apr 03 2015 12:29
Hey all, days ago mentioning that I am doing some rewrite to make react.rb support toll-free bridge ReactComponent. I got some code up and running (with some help from inline doc in runtime.js). https://gist.github.com/zetachang/abf76b110ac5c80bd4e9
Kurtis Rainbolt-Greene
@krainboltgreene
Apr 03 2015 12:32
Swweeeet.
David Chang
@zetachang
Apr 03 2015 12:32
I have to override the constructor property since React.js rely on this to check if the component instance are the one instantiated from the element. So the questions is that is this the right way to do this? Since this depends on the usage of klass._proto which is actually an implementation details
David Chang
@zetachang
Apr 03 2015 13:11
@jaredcwhite count me in :+1:
Jared White
@jaredcwhite
Apr 03 2015 14:07
All right! Appreciate everyone's enthusiasm. :) I'll work on the first issue next week.
Elia Schito
@elia
Apr 03 2015 14:47
@zetachang have you tried bridging the class?
class React::Component < `React.Component`
David Chang
@zetachang
Apr 03 2015 14:49
Yes, i've tried. But since React need a constructor function. So I need to manually set up the prototype chain.
Elia Schito
@elia
Apr 03 2015 14:55
I probably need to study React constructor a bit more to understand the code above, but as a heads up I can say that _proto becomes $$proto from 0.7 on
David Chang
@zetachang
Apr 03 2015 14:57
Actually the reason why I choose copy React.Component.prototype is to remain the previous behavior that any plain Ruby class could be a renderable component class.
Noted on the $$proto part, I will migrate to it after 0.8 released.