These are chat archives for opal/opal

Aug 2015
Jamie Gaskins
@jgaskins
Aug 04 2015 02:42

I just noticed that, in Chrome/v8, instantiation of Ruby objects is unable to be optimized by the VM because it uses the arguments array (via *args in Opal): https://github.com/opal/opal/blob/247d921f43e2fcdec47405c1c2a38472fc89ca71/opal/corelib/class.rb#L42

Safari doesn't seem to have any trouble with it (it renders Clearwater apps 3x as fast as Chrome when I don't use render caching), but in rendering a pretty large virtual DOM several times in Clearwater just now, I spent 13.24% of my CPU time in Class#new. I haven't opened an issue yet because I don't know if there's any way around it. Anyone have any ideas?

Vais Salikhov
@vais
Aug 04 2015 09:55
@jgaskins have you tried overriding #new for your classes with a fixed set of arguments to see if that makes a difference? Or those are not your classes? In any case +1 for opening an issue because gitter is fleeting.
Colin Gunn
@balmoral
Aug 04 2015 10:32
Been living mostly in volt, but need to wrap Highcharts js in Opal. Very impressed with what you guys are doing and how you're doing it. Have opened an issue #1044 on GitHub to make life even easier:
to add option to handle arrays in alias_native
in case someone is interested in something like this :-)
Elia Schito
@elia
Aug 04 2015 12:32
\o/
Forrest Chang
@fkchang
Aug 04 2015 15:07
@RickCarlino I've been thinking of making something like awesome print as the default debug print behavior for opal-irb
@catmando great you wrote up your react stuff...
Forrest Chang
@fkchang
Aug 04 2015 15:14
Along the lines of my idea that "making opal a no brainer for rails will probably help opal's popularity", maybe getting @catmando 's opal/rails gem ecosystem vision, is a good path to that. It could be the right combiniation: Rails, opal and React since it is getting a lot of favorable press
Elia Schito
@elia
Aug 04 2015 15:15
@bbatsov "Used in production by 2013" actually just checked and the first time I used it was 26 june 2013
implementing some frontend filters for an e-commerce
Bozhidar Batsov
@bbatsov
Aug 04 2015 15:16
I watched @fkchang’s presentation and he mentioned that he knew of some apps using it in prod in 2013
therefore this particular date reference
btw, when I was at the conference some people were wondering how to get involved in the development
it might be good to start adding “beginner-friendly” tags to some tickets
Elia Schito
@elia
Aug 04 2015 15:17
yeah, was just for info :)
Bozhidar Batsov
@bbatsov
Aug 04 2015 15:18
and perhaps link straight from the README to the list of things that have to be implemented
Elia Schito
@elia
Aug 04 2015 15:18
:+1: seems a good idea
If you happen to see any issue that can be marked as such just drop a comment and I'll add the tag
Jared White
@jaredcwhite
Aug 04 2015 15:20
hey folks - just a heads up that I'm putting the next Opalist issue off until next week - (a) I'm buried in work this week, and (b) the usual volume of news is a little less than usual by this time, but I'm sure next week there will be plenty to talk about. @catmando Hugely excited about what you shared on the React + Opal stuff your team is working on. Any chance you could put a blog post up with that stuff that I could link to? Or maybe I could just link to the forum thread?
Forrest Chang
@fkchang
Aug 04 2015 15:21
@jaredcwhite and I actually have material ready early this time....
@bbatsov I bet @adambeynon has apps earlier than that
Jared White
@jaredcwhite
Aug 04 2015 15:21
@fkchang awesome, can't wait to see it
Elia Schito
@elia
Aug 04 2015 15:21
@jaredcwhite don't miss the hash PR with benchmarks done by @vais earlier this week
Jared White
@jaredcwhite
Aug 04 2015 15:22
@elia Ah, I will look for that
Elia Schito
@elia
Aug 04 2015 15:22

I bet @adambeynon has apps earlier than that

indeed

Forrest Chang
@fkchang
Aug 04 2015 15:23
@jaredcwhite it's a fairly comprehensive overview (cuz it seems like most ppl don't know most of the fatures) of opal-irb, contemplating whether I should do a screencast, I feel I've done it before, though there are some new ones. Maybe I can outsource it to @RickCarlino aka "God of opal screencasts" (GOOS from now on)
I can be Maverick to his 'Goos', but I'll have to level up my (nonexistant) screencast game
CJ Lazell
@cj
Aug 04 2015 15:56
opal uses sprockets 3 now right?
Forrest Chang
@fkchang
Aug 04 2015 16:02
@cj as of 0.8 yes
CJ Lazell
@cj
Aug 04 2015 16:02
dang, they dropped gzip support in 3
I guess I’ll have to patch it :)
Forrest Chang
@fkchang
Aug 04 2015 17:25
@cj yeah, can't upgrade opal-playground coz middleman doesn't support sprockets 3, which is how opal-playground is setup
AstonJ
@AstonJ
Aug 04 2015 19:59
AstonJ
@AstonJ
Aug 04 2015 20:08
@catmando - that was a great post, thanks… I tweeted it too :D
Mitch VanDuyn
@catmando
Aug 04 2015 20:16
I guess I am wondering what the arguments are that we see AGAINST using opal. (thanks @fkchang and @astonj for the encouragement, and @dancinglightning for trying out the system and making some great suggestions)
AstonJ
@AstonJ
Aug 04 2015 20:44
We touched on it in this thread @catmando http://metaruby.com/t/why-are-you-using-opal/258 - I think a big part is down to lack of official documentation. (I posted some suggestions here: opal/docs#1)
AstonJ
@AstonJ
Aug 04 2015 21:07
Argh ignore me - I missread your post sorry.
Rick Carlino
@RickCarlino
Aug 04 2015 23:58
@fkchang Just chiming in after a pretty long break from gitter. Did you say Opal IRB is in need of a tutorial?