These are chat archives for opal/vienna

Oct 2014
Loïc Boutet
@loicboutet
Oct 13 2014 00:22
I think it's a great idea
I would be curious about the logo :)
and ... regarding vienna I feel like a tight integration with rails would be a killer feature... I'm just not sure wether it's vienna in its current form that should be integrated, or something like vienna (using the same concept for the views / layout, but maybe more oriented with code sharing with the rails app?)
Oct 13 2014 11:54
It might be a bit premature showing you it @loicboutet because @adambeynon hasn’t agreed to the name yet, only that he thinks it is worth changing… but here it is anyway - let us know what you think :p
Adam Beynon
@adambeynon
Oct 13 2014 11:56
hey @AstonJ - I cant find the email :( can you resend it? :)
Oct 13 2014 11:56
Sure - did you get my first one?
Adam Beynon
@adambeynon
Oct 13 2014 11:57
yeap! got that one, I liked the content btw, just didnt get the chance to reply
but, Monday means its programming day, so I will get back to you today (Y)
Oct 13 2014 11:59
Ok sent - let me know if you don’t get it… not sure where it went :/
I am thinking about giving Vienna a section in the article (like Volt has) as well - just need to read up on it first :p
Adam Beynon
@adambeynon
Oct 13 2014 13:16
@AstonJ got it, thanks! Yes, I like the idea of Fire, sounds a much stronger name
still trying to decide exactly where I want vienna/fire to be
Its very backbone-esque at the moment, i.e. just feels like a library rather than a framework
but Im starting to think a more framework approach might suit it better
(plus throw a lot of activesupport in there)
Oct 13 2014 13:38
I agree @adambeynon, I think a framework to compete with JS frameworks like Angular and Ember sounds much more appealing (hmmm wonder if Ruby on Fire is a better name lol). Ideally for me (and I reckon many others) Fire would allow me to ditch JS completely and be able to write everything in Ruby. That really would be awesome. Is that the sort of thing you had in mind?
Elia Schito
@elia
Oct 13 2014 13:40
just a headsup btw https://rubygems.org/gems/fire
Oct 13 2014 13:43
maybe call the gem rubyfire or opalfire? @elia Or rubyonfire (if Ruby on FIre is a better name)
I think if as @loicboutet suggested, that Fire integrates well with Rails, then Ruby on Fire is a good name
(Or if it’s just for Rails, Rails on Fire)
Oct 13 2014 13:51
You could also keep Vienna as it is (particualrly for those who have used it) and start afresh with Fire - that way you are not tied or restricted and can take it in a new direction..
Adam Beynon
@adambeynon
Oct 13 2014 13:53
@AstonJ In my production apps I am using a vendor version of Vienna inside my assets/ directory, so I dont mind leaving the vienna gem as it is, and starting with a new codebase completely
Oct 13 2014 13:55
That sounds like a really good idea - particualrly as I think once you get the project brief up, and announce it as Fire (or Ruby on Fire) I think it will generate quite a bit of heat (like Volt has) and lots of people might get on board :D
I reckon there will be HUUUUUUUGE interest in it :D
Loïc Boutet
@loicboutet
Oct 13 2014 14:23
I defenitely they could be a huge interest in it
same as @AstonJ , I am looking for something that would allow me to write everything in ruby :)
I personnally like the view in vienna
I like the fact that they are very close to the html
I kind of see the views in a way to give logic to the html tags
but having much more activesupport in the models would be really cool
Ideally finding a way to share models (or maybe just the validation?) between rails and the new framework would be really cool
Loïc Boutet
@loicboutet
Oct 13 2014 14:33
I would be happy to provide any help I can (coding and otherwise) to such a project
Oct 13 2014 14:39
Nice one @loicboutet - I’m getting really excited by all of this :D I reckon it could be huge.
Loïc Boutet
@loicboutet
Oct 13 2014 14:43
I'm thinking about it quite a lot recently actually
the thing I don't see is a good way to integrate the view with the normal worflow of rails / sinatra
Maybe I should look at how volt is doing :)
Oct 13 2014 14:46
The Volt docs are pretty good @loicboutet - I am going to do the AngularJS course on CodeSchool as well because I have no experience with frontend JS frameworks (the course is free - tho I am just going to watch the videos)
Loïc Boutet
@loicboutet
Oct 13 2014 14:46
maybe this should be another project :p but in my mind, I'm not sure making a "single app page" is a solution for everything
personnally in my projects, what I would like is use rails 80% of the time, because with all the gems and stuff, it is quite easy/fast to generate a crud app
but usually you have 1/2 pages with heavy interaction
that take a lot of your time because the view is really complex, mixing a lof of models, and use heavy javascript
on the server side that s where you usually use a form object to help you manage the complexity
if we would use something that is kind of equivalent to a form object, but having as well js interactions in it, that would be fantastic
yes I should read them actually :)
I am curious as well with angular
and with sprinkle approch of mixing angular and rails http://brewhouse.io/blog/2014/09/23/writing-rails-flavored-angularjs.html
I think they are doing kind of the integration I would like to do with vienna/another opal framework
Oct 13 2014 14:54
How old are your projects @loicboutet? I am finding that there is a big shift towards dynamic frontends of late. New sites like http://packdog.com (zurb foundation) and http://tailster.com (angular). Being able to do simialr purely in Ruby is very attractive
Loïc Boutet
@loicboutet
Oct 13 2014 14:55
Yes definitely the shift is toward dynamic frontend
but what I'm saying is that maybe having the opportunity to mix classic views with more dynamic one might be interesting
with the possibility to use fully dynamic one if you want to
Oct 13 2014 14:57
Yep that sounds reasonable :)
Loïc Boutet
@loicboutet
Oct 13 2014 14:58
lol I like the fact that both example you sent me are dog related
Oct 13 2014 14:58
Do you like dogs? Here’s my latest site (rails 4) www.breedia.com
Loïc Boutet
@loicboutet
Oct 13 2014 14:58
but to take the example you gave me
I'm pretty sure they have "standard" crud stuff too
like the settings of the account for example
or something similar
I do love dogs actually lol
Oct 13 2014 15:26
Yeah I’m sure they do (think pack dog has a multi page form to set up the account)
Breedia is actually my first Rails app, launched last year but I still haven’t made the directory live
Loïc Boutet