These are chat archives for openseadragon/openseadragon

Jun 2015
Ian Gilman
@iangilman
Jun 10 2015 18:06
@crswll @avandecreme @msalsbery We went with 256 back in 2008, but yeah, it's probably time to move up to 512.
The super tiny tiles below level 6 make sense for DZC files, when they all get jammed into a single image; that way you can load a multi-thousand item collection with just a few server calls. Of course we still don't support DZC in OpenSeadragon (yet!).
As far as I'm concerned, the key thing is to load a small enough level that you get the entire image in a single tile. Otherwise you get the "loading chunks of the grid" effect that breaks the illusion that it's all a single image.
Seems like a good optimization would be for OSD to figure out what the largest level that appears in a single tile is (it's different for different images, based on aspect ratio and tile size), and start loading the image from there.
Antoine Vandecreme
@avandecreme
Jun 10 2015 19:20
I am not sure to understand what difference having levels below 6 make. Wouldn't downloading a 256x256 tile and scale it down work?
Ian Gilman
@iangilman
Jun 10 2015 20:07
@avandecreme Indeed; that's what I'm proposing.
Of course for anyone who is making a DZI generator, you should make the full pyramid. But for OSD, we should load the largest level that fits in a single tile and ignore the levels below that.
@crswll I'd be curious to see the script you inherited, btw...always interested in having more options for DZI creation.
Bill Criswell
@crswll
Jun 10 2015 20:12
@iangilman It seems like https://github.com/nfabre/deepzoom.php/tree/master/src/Deepzoom just with a little function that loops through it
I'll put it on github
Ian Gilman
@iangilman
Jun 10 2015 20:14
Cool...looks like we've got that one on the list
Bill Criswell
@crswll
Jun 10 2015 20:15
Yeah, all this has is a little thing for making it more command line friendly
Ian Gilman
@iangilman
Jun 10 2015 20:15
Might be a good PR for the original?
Bill Criswell
@crswll
Jun 10 2015 20:16
seems kind of hacked together lol, it just sits in front of that library and runs Oz_Deepzoom_ImageCreator on it
so i have a little sh file that just iterates over a directory of images and outputs them to tiles/
Ian Gilman
@iangilman
Jun 10 2015 20:19
Cool...sounds useful, if not pretty ;)
Bill Criswell
@crswll
Jun 10 2015 20:20
it also requires me to set php's memory limit way up there otherwise it dies immediately
i imagine that "stream" stuff can help me but I'd need to dig in a little more.
Ian Gilman
@iangilman
Jun 10 2015 20:22
It's a shame all of this stuff ends up being so hacked together.
I wish there was an easy solution I could point to and say "use this, it's the best"
Bill Criswell
@crswll
Jun 10 2015 20:23
agreed, it would be awesome
tile in-dir out-dir and maybe some options if there absolutely has to be haha
Ian Gilman
@iangilman
Jun 10 2015 20:26
Yup. And no crazy dependencies
Ian Gilman
@iangilman
Jun 10 2015 21:12
Looks like that 365 gigapixel panorama has been getting some good press. Fun to see the comments on the Reddit thread: http://np.reddit.com/r/pics/comments/38i7cj/highest_resolution_panorama_ever_made_very_cool/
Of course it would be nice to have more comments about how awesome OpenSeadragon is, to be showing such a big image ;)
...but then I suppose the fact that OSD is invisible to most users is a high compliment right there..."it just works"
Mark Salsbery