These are chat archives for paypal/squbs

Dec 2016
Dec 24 2016 01:18
@akara figured out the problem in the stream. It looks like the custom stage was shutting down before Broadcast was sending it anything. What’s surprising though is that Broadcast has the following logic:
    def onPush(): Unit = {

push(o, elem)
          pending(i) = true
        }
        idx += 1
      }
    }
so, it skips it and continues if the port is already closed.
Dec 24 2016 01:19
That's cbState, right?
Dec 24 2016 01:19
Dec 24 2016 01:20
But why is cbState closed? Is that because of the scope of the test?
Dec 24 2016 01:20
In the test, the Source has limited number of elements.
and with upstreamFinished, I was prematurely closing the stage.
Dec 24 2016 01:21
Got it. So we seem to have a timing issue. The feedback loop in case of a stream depends on the stream being alive.
Dec 24 2016 01:21
I need to work on those parts.
Dec 24 2016 01:22
But in reality, the cbState is a state machine that exists perpetually as long as this process is still alive.
This assumes sharing of state across multiple materialized streams, of course.
Dec 24 2016 01:22
correct
Dec 24 2016 01:23
Either we have to make sure it does not finish when upstreamFinished, and keep it alive. But for how long?
Dec 24 2016 01:23
I am currently focusing on no state sharing across materialization. Always keeping it in mind; however, the problem is already difficult enough for one materialization :smile:
I cannot say anything on that. The code I had was a copy from Zip mostly, so, that part I need to think about and re-write.
Dec 24 2016 01:24
Yes, but given a circuit breaker is never by itself - it is supposed to break the circuit for all connections to the same host.
It makes me think whether this feedback loop in the stream is the right way.
Dec 24 2016 01:25
that’s absolutely true.
I am actually worried about the parallelism in the flow. The feedback loop gets executed pretty late in the game. So, with maxFailure being 3, after 20 failures it still doesn’t get updated.
Dec 24 2016 01:26
Again, we can do so but we need to know when to shutdown cbState.
Dec 24 2016 01:26
yes, I am questioning the feedback loop as well. However, I am not sure what’s a better alternative. Agent has similar problems.
Dec 24 2016 01:26
Yes, buffers can come in the way very easily.
Worse comes to worst, it goes to Atomic/Volatile.
Dec 24 2016 01:28
that would require us to update the Atomic in one GraphStage and read it from another one, which is not gonna be great.
Dec 24 2016 01:28
Remember PersistentBuffer with commit?
Dec 24 2016 01:29
It was quite challenging though :worried:
Dec 24 2016 01:29
I just had conversation with the team using it this morning. They are running into some issues they fill the buffer faster than the read out. This is because there is no back-pressure through the buffer.
Over time, that's not going to be healthy.
Dec 24 2016 01:31
it has to be a temporary buffer; otherwise, it would fill up the space.
Dec 24 2016 01:31
But there is a lot more to do on the read side. We need to check whether we have enough Kafka producers.
Yes. They have some monitoring. But it needs more. The flow should be unbalanced only if downstream gets stuck, like Kafka rebalance.
In normal runs, that must not happen.
Dec 24 2016 01:32
I agree
Dec 24 2016 01:32
So they have to either throttle the incoming, or increase the speed on the outgoing. I think there is still a lot to do on the latter.
Dec 24 2016 01:54
@anilgursel One more for preview: akara/squbs@4c8046d
This is the one that has all marshaller move from httpclient to ext. I also beefed up the test coverage on both the httpclient and marshaller. The only one thing I'm working on is the doc. It is not yet part of this commit.
It potentially has a small merge conflict with #363 so I'll wait for #363 to be merged before submitting this PR, with conflicts resolved.
Dec 24 2016 18:49
ok, will review it as well.
Dec 24 2016 18:55

@akara Looks like the problem is with stream running mechanics. Even with the usage of Atomic, I still have the problem of CB state not getting updated. Here is the basic stream:

def withCircuitBreaker(circuitBreaker: CircuitBreaker): Flow[In, Try[Out], Mat] = {

import org.squbs.streams.StreamTimeout._
      Flow.fromGraph(GraphDSL.create(flow.withTimeout(circuitBreaker.callTimeout)) { implicit b =>
        timeoutFlow =>
          import GraphDSL.Implicits._

val feedback = Flow[Try[Out]].map { e =>
            e match {
              case Success(_) => circuitBreaker.succeed()
              case Failure(_) => circuitBreaker.fail()
            }
            e
          }
          val partition = b.add(Partition(2, (_: In) => if(circuitBreaker.shortCircuit()) 1 else 0))
          val merge = b.add(Merge[Try[Out]](2))
          val failFast = Flow[In].map{ _ => Failure(new RuntimeException("CB FailFast")) } // TODO Add fallback and right exceptions

partition ~> timeoutFlow ~> feedback ~> merge
          partition ~> failFast                ~> merge

FlowShape(partition.in, merge.out)
      })
    }

circuitBreaker.succeed() basically increments an atomic. With ~25 elements in the stream, this does not work. The reason is that the logic in partition gets called for all 25 elements, then I see that the logic in feedback gets called for all 25 elements sequentially.

I wonder if it has anything to do we having an async boundary in timeoutFlow for the Broadcast. But, understanding the element processing mechanics is difficult.
yeap, that seems to be the case.
when I eliminate the async boundary, the behaviour is different
let me fix the async boundary first then tackle this. If that’s the culprit, we might potentially go back to usage of Agent or feedback loop.
Dec 24 2016 19:01

I am referring to paypal/squbs#354. Looking into it now. Probably with some buffers we can eliminate it. Once done, then circuit breaker might start working.

Dec 24 2016 19:04
Let's try. I tend to see batching behavior in the stream.
Also the failure check in feedback may need to be more specific to Failure (TimeoutException) so we do not gloss over other potential cases.
Dec 24 2016 19:11
Actually, some discussion needed around that. The reason I did it that way is to align with existing CircuitBreaker, please see https://github.com/akka/akka/blob/master/akka-actor/src/main/scala/akka/pattern/CircuitBreaker.scala#L65. However, if we think about HTTP, there are scenarios where we may need to consider it as failed even if there is no exception, e.g., 500 Internal Server Error.
Dec 24 2016 19:13
Hmm, you're right. The response itself can be an error condition.
Dec 24 2016 19:23
A 500 can be caused by errors processing requests as well, although it shouldn't. A 503 is clear. So we need a scheme for users to decide what constitutes an error condition similar to timeouts. Need to provide defaults, though.
Dec 24 2016 19:24