These are chat archives for petabridge/akka-bootcamp

May 2015
Thomas Tomanek
@thomastomanek
May 11 2015 10:00
@nibblesnbits I'm just learning Akka so not technically answering your question, but my initial thought when reading your use case was that it sounds more like you want a message broker sitting inbetween the clients and your server, so the clients just publish a message containing whatever data they've gathered onto a queue on the broker. You may already have that, but in particular it would help with your transient connectivity issue
Bartosz Sypytkowski
@Horusiath
May 11 2015 10:04
@nibblesnbits while I think, you might want to use Akka.NET in your case (there are many places where it could be used), the easier way would be to simply expose queued web service for your clients
Christian Wattengård
@wattengard
May 11 2015 11:39
i'm on Lesson 5 in the first chapter, and after doing all the changes i now get a message saying that delivery failed for message from validationactor to deadletters
Christian Wattengård
@wattengard
May 11 2015 12:43
i had a slash too much in my actor uri :( facepalm
stevemesser
@stevemesser
May 11 2015 15:13
I just finish Unit 3 Lesson 3. I don't get the proper use cases / differences between Ask and Tell.
Thomas Tomanek
@thomastomanek
May 11 2015 15:50
Ask is used when you want a response from the target actor, Tell is fire and forget
stevemesser
@stevemesser
May 11 2015 15:57
So Ask blocks?
Ask is synchronous and Tell is asynchronous
Thomas Tomanek
@thomastomanek
May 11 2015 16:19
no both are asynchronous, Ask returns a Task
you should use the PipeTo extension method on Task to make sure the response handling is treated the same way as other messages (i.e. synchronously through the mailbox). The docs page on this is pretty useful http://getakka.net/docs/Working%20with%20actors
stevemesser
@stevemesser
May 11 2015 18:20
@sadprofessor thanks for the info
Aaron Stannard
@Aaronontheweb
May 11 2015 19:17
@gep13 yep! We'll be offering our virtual trainings regularly - I think we're going to be publishing some new dates today: https://petabridge.com/training/
Gary Ewan Park
@gep13
May 11 2015 19:23
@Aaronontheweb Noice, thank you! Still working my way through the training emails, but finding it a really good way to learn the material. Will definitely look towards the training course if we pick this up as a technology going forward.
blanksster
@blanksster
May 11 2015 19:32
Will the Akka presentations from the .NetFringe conference be available online
Aaron Stannard
@Aaronontheweb
May 11 2015 20:06
@blanksster they should be soon! I don't know when exactly yet :\
@gep13 you're welcome! We're going to be offering more virtual training classes in the future too - there's a lot of interest in doing stuff around Akka.TestKit and best practices for testing Akka.NET applications and I'm certain we'll be doing one on DevOps too
takes a lot of effort to develop the content though, so we're gauging demand for each subject before we offer the course
Gary Ewan Park
@gep13
May 11 2015 20:08
Ooo, the DevOps one would be very interesting!
Would also be interested in seeing the .NetFringe content. Can you post here in Gitter when available?
Aaron Stannard
@Aaronontheweb
May 11 2015 20:09
the Design Patterns one we're doing now and the DevOps one we'll be doing in the future are the two I would be most interested in, as an end-user. They deliver the most immediate "how do I use this in production" value
the Akka.Cluster and Akka.Remote ones are for people who want to know how the guts of those systems really work so they can take full advantage of them
Akka.Cluster in particular is pretty mind-blowing - imagine being able to do an in-place upgrade of a system without downtime
like, an important stateful system
not just a web app
I'll definitely post the .NET Fringe talks
I'm 99% sure my zipper was down the entire time I gave mine
so I've been anxious to see if that actually happened
or if I just imagined it
Gary Ewan Park
@gep13
May 11 2015 20:11
@Aaronontheweb yip, totally agree about the session content. Design Patterns and DevOps would be the two of most interest to me when just starting out.
ha ha! Fingers crossed it wasn't :-)
Aaron Stannard
@Aaronontheweb
May 11 2015 20:13
I also shot a Channel 9 video at .NET Fringe too
that should be out soon
but I imagine those guys have been a bit busy with //BUILD and all
Gary Ewan Park
@gep13
May 11 2015 20:14
ah noice! Will keep an eye out for that one as well.
jhorv
@jhorv
May 11 2015 20:18
Is it possible to define an ActorSystem hierarchy via config? Or is configuration only supplemental to building an ActorSystem in code?
Aaron Stannard
@Aaronontheweb
May 11 2015 20:24
@jphorvath so you can't actually instantiate any actors directly through config
you can just specify how those actors are deployed and configured
but ultimately, the act of creating those actors has to be done through code
you can use wildcard matching in the akka.actor.deployment section of HOCON configuration to make sure that all actors at a specific portion of the heirarchy are deployed the same way
regardless of their name
let me grab an example
"/api/*/coordinators" {
                  router = round-robin-pool
                  nr-of-instances = 10
                  cluster {
                    enabled = on
                    max-nr-of-instances-per-node = 2
                    allow-local-routees = on
                    use-role = crawler
                  }
                }
```
this ensures that any actors who are created as grandchildren of the api actor and are named coordinators are given this configuration
regardless of their parent's name, which is determined dynamically in the case of the WebCrawler sample
man, we really need to add some documentation for this feature to the Akka.NET docs
it's extremely convenient in applications that need to use a lot of routers or custom mailboxes / dispatchers
jhorv
@jhorv
May 11 2015 20:33
ah, very cool - thanks! Saved me a lot of time figuring that out.
@Aaronontheweb glad to see those code samples too, I looked real quick under akkadotnet/ before asking and didn't think to look under petabridge/
Aaron Stannard
@Aaronontheweb
May 11 2015 20:37
yeah we have to keep our code samples inside Akka.NET pretty concise
the Petabridge samples are designed to be a lot closer to production applications
designed to answer different types of questions than the built-in Akka.NET ones