These are chat archives for pydata/pandas

Dec 2018
nsuresh
@aqurilla
Dec 07 2018 04:08
I am working on #24070 - and edited pandas/_libs/tslibs/timedeltas.pyx and /pandas/_libs/tslibs/timestamps.pyx. But, I still get errors on running the validate_docstrings command. Are there other files that need to be edited?
Tom Augspurger
@TomAugspurger
Dec 07 2018 04:22
@aqurilla did you recompile the C extensions after editing the pyx files?
it’d be python setup.py build_ext -i
nsuresh
@aqurilla
Dec 07 2018 04:22
Il do that, thanks!
nsuresh
@aqurilla
Dec 07 2018 14:19
Hi! @TomAugspurger , I see that methods that do not have docstrings also return errors GL01 & GL02. I assume resolving this issue (#24070) also involves adding in docstrings for these methods?
Tom Augspurger
@TomAugspurger
Dec 07 2018 14:23
I’m not sure. May want to ask on the issue.
nsuresh
@aqurilla
Dec 07 2018 14:36
Sure, will do
Kevin Markham
@justmarkham
Dec 07 2018 19:31
Hello! I'm working on a blog post about the future of pandas, based largely on the excellent Towards pandas 1.0 talk given by @datapythonista and the Modern pandas series by @TomAugspurger. I had a couple of follow-up questions and was hoping that any one of the core devs would like to comment:
  1. Starting in 0.23, the DataFrame.query() method is no longer listed as "experimental". Does that mean that the query API is now stable?
  2. Does the core team encourage the use of query, even outside of method chains?
  3. Will the future documentation place a greater emphasis on the use of method chains, and even list that as the recommended approach?
  4. Will a native string type via Extension Arrays eventually be included in pandas, or is this more likely to live in external packages such as fletcher?
    Thanks so much for any help! :thumbsup:
Tom Augspurger
@TomAugspurger
Dec 07 2018 19:37

Not sure about 1 and 2. I don’t use it myself.

For 3. I’ve kicked around the idea of a “best practices” page in our documentation that would lay out what we consider characteristics of good pandas code. I’m not sure exactly what would be included, but that’d be a good discussion topic.

For 4. We’ll eventually have first-class string support. Whether that’ll be based on fletcher probably depends our willingness to adopt numba and pyarrow as dependencies, or how rapidly Arrow’s Gandavia initiative develops.

Kevin Markham
@justmarkham
Dec 07 2018 19:41
Got it! Thanks for your comments, Tom. I like the idea of a "best practices" page as well.
Joris Van den Bossche
@jorisvandenbossche
Dec 07 2018 20:48
@TomAugspurger the contributors injection in the whatsnew is not working on travis. Is that to be exptected? Or is that an issue?
Tom Augspurger
@TomAugspurger
Dec 07 2018 20:48
It’s a known issue. We don’t have the git history going far back enough, since we do a shallow clone.
We would need the history back to 0.23.0 I think...
Joris Van den Bossche
@jorisvandenbossche
Dec 07 2018 20:48
ah, yes, I remember now :)