These are chat archives for ractivejs/ractive

May 2018
kouts
@kouts
May 18 2018 10:11
I'm starting a pretty big business app project that will need a a lot of views. I wonder how you handle routing - loading in such cases.
@evs-chris I understand that you are building some business apps yourself, what king of routing system do you use?
Joseph
@fskreuz
May 18 2018 12:47
@kouts There's a discussion about routers here ractivejs/ractive#3134
Cerem Cem ASLAN
@ceremcem
May 18 2018 13:08
@kouts may I ask what kind of business this is?
kouts
@kouts
May 18 2018 13:10
@ceremcem, although not really relevant, insurance
Cerem Cem ASLAN
@ceremcem
May 18 2018 13:10
if the requirements are met, then I would suggest that we can share the same ScadaJS framework
according to my experiments, the most important component is data-table in such applications
(well, do you only want a router suggestion, or are you wide open to anything else?)
kouts
@kouts
May 18 2018 13:14
you are right @ceremcem , I use jquery datatables for that (search previous discussions here)
Joseph
@fskreuz
May 18 2018 13:27

insurance

Makes me wonder what other fields Ractive is being used in. :grin: iirc, there was one time someone mentioned healthcare.

kouts
@kouts
May 18 2018 13:42
@ceremcem , @fskreuz I asked @evs-chris because I remember at some point mentioning that he uses Ractive for business applications with many views, so I imagine he might have something in the works even though it might not be in 100% ready for general use.
I'm aware of ractivejs/ractive#3134
Chris Reeves
@evs-chris
May 18 2018 14:32
my case is a bit weird, though it may work for insurance too as it's not too far off finance
I actually am not using a router
We're building a replacement for a massive desktop app using a very similar style, and there's a bit too much going on to tie everything together in the uri. Instead we have a hierarchy of semi-independent views that can load each other as needed, which allows for multitasking and cross reference.
Arnaud Dagnelies
@dagnelies
May 18 2018 14:37
The word "router" is also a rather elastic concept. Everyone has a different viewpoint of what it should be / how it should work.
Chris Reeves
@evs-chris
May 18 2018 14:38
It typically is a thing that correlates a uri to some sort of page state, but yeah, it's all pretty open ended.
Arnaud Dagnelies
@dagnelies
May 18 2018 14:39
Personaly, I still tend to use multiple old school pages and normal links because it's more stable/robust. If some grain of salt triggers an exception in your page, your whole SPA might fall flat, including the routing. With normal links, at least, you can still navigate.
Chris Reeves
@evs-chris
May 18 2018 14:44
The basic window components I'm using are available here. The menu on the left manages which views are available, and if they're already open, recalling then to the foreground. The demo doesn't really use it, but there's also typically an area of the menu for open root contexts, like "I'm editing this inventory", "processing a payment", and "computing a sale".
SPAs are a little dangerous, but you can keep in-progress stuff safely cached in local storage for recovery if necessary. Most of what I'm working with is a crap ton of data entry, so it's not too difficult to manage a restore is the user accidentally hits from or something manages to crash.
The really weird thing is that the windowing system can go mdi for really big screens, but it will also squish itself down to mobile fairly nicely. Why they wanted decent mobile support in a data entry-centric app, I'm not entirely sure, but give the people what they want. If you hit the square on the app bar of the demo on desktop, it will break out to mdi.
Chris Reeves
@evs-chris
May 18 2018 14:51
Autocorrect is killing me again - 'if the user hits f5' and probably a bunch of other stuff got mangled, but the gist is there.
tl;dr we're using weird view management, more in the desktop style, because it fits pretty well in the industry
shooting for a chocolate and peanut butter situation - the power of a desktop app with the flexibility and convenience of the browser
kouts
@kouts
May 18 2018 15:06
@dagnelies so you are using multiple pages and not an SPA setup right?