These are chat archives for ramda/ramda

3rd
Sep 2015
Scott Sauyet
@CrossEye
Sep 03 2015 01:45
@101100: If you're doing this as a learning experience, it's an interesting exercise. But I would not make a fetish out of points-free. I think the following version is much more readable. (Of course the es6 syntax helps.):
((a, b) => R.chain(id => R.filter(R.propEq('id', id), b), a))
hemanth.hm
@hemanth
Sep 03 2015 07:04
under what license is web ramda-repl ?
Aldwin Vlasblom
@Avaq
Sep 03 2015 10:07

@CrossEye Agreed, I do believe this was meant to be an exercise though. :)

And coming back to it, @101100, I've found another way around the (null)-hack, much closer to my original plan. My first try was R.converge(R.compose, R.flip(R.contains), R.always(R.prop('id'))), but that returned a 2-ary function and I didn't understand why (it should only take in a). So I looked at the converge source today and noticed it chooses its arity based on the highest arity from the input functions, which was 2 for R.flip(R.contains). So the fix was to flag it as unary, so the complete thing becomes:

R.useWith(R.filter, R.converge(R.compose, R.unary(R.flip(R.contains)), R.always(R.prop('id'))), R.identity);

I'm not saying it's a better solution by any means (there's still a secret noop), but I did learn something new about converge I wanted to share. :)

Raine Virta
@raine
Sep 03 2015 12:40
how do you map over a return value of a function that returns a thenable in pipe? is there a ramda function that checks for .then?
it used to be possible to use pipeP so that not all functions returned a Promise
Raine Virta
@raine
Sep 03 2015 12:52
ramda/ramda#1314
Raine Virta
@raine
Sep 03 2015 13:04
const then = curry((fn, thenable) => thenable.then(fn));
const readFile = (p) => fs.readFileAsync(p, 'utf8');
const getStuff = pipe(formatPath, readFile, then(toUpper));
there's probably a better way than coming up with a map (the then) specific to promises
Danielle McLean
@00dani
Sep 03 2015 13:39
Well, typewise R.chain should be the right function for "mapping" promises. Of course, the standard promise API is incompatible with fantasy-land's monad definitions so it doesn't quite work out.
Martin Algesten
@algesten
Sep 03 2015 17:37

I was trying to parse xml data using cheerio/jQuery the other day and it struck me how awkward those libraries are for functional programming.

So I decided to learn top down operator precedence-parsers and applied it to parsing CSS-expressions. End result is an attempt to make a lightweight tool for reading XML/HTML in a functional style. https://github.com/algesten/zu

Now I want it to work really well with Ramda, but I'm a bit stuck on currying. I want to have zu.parents(nodes, 'div > span') be curried as zu.parents('div > span')(nodes) but maybe also zu.parents(nodes)('div > span') but then that last form is not possible since i may also want zu.parents(nodes)as a one-arg version (just parents without an expression).

Does any of you fine minds have any thoughts on that currying conundrum?

jeffcato
@jeffcato
Sep 03 2015 18:27
does ramda have an abstraction for switch or if/else that would make sense to use here?:
switch(req.method) {
    case 'GET':
        getCacheKey(cache, url).fork(
            function(err) {
                getDocuments(getCollection(db, collectionName)).fork(
                    send404(res),
                    sendPage(res, cache, collectionName, url)
                );
        send404(res, null);
        break;
}
Scott Sauyet
@CrossEye
Sep 03 2015 18:27
@algesten: raganwald does this by offering a second version of many functions, suffixed with 'With'. So parents(selector)(nodes) and parentsWith(nodes)(selector) or vice versa.
jeffcato
@jeffcato
Sep 03 2015 18:28
or possibly a monad in ramda-fantasy could handle it better?
i'm pretty new to functional programming in general so forgive me if this is obvious
Scott Sauyet
@CrossEye
Sep 03 2015 18:33
@jeffcato: Ramda does have both ifElse and cond. One of those might help.
Martin Algesten
@algesten
Sep 03 2015 18:37
@CrossEye thanks! i check raganwald out
Scott Sauyet
@CrossEye
Sep 03 2015 18:42
@algesten, the first edition of his book JavaScript Allongé was a huge inspiration for me.
Almost finished with the second.
jeffcato
@jeffcato
Sep 03 2015 18:52
@CrossEye ok thanks - i'll give one of those a shot
Martin Algesten
@algesten
Sep 03 2015 19:03
@CrossEye googling. thanks :D
i just realised i had a bunch of essays to go through on his site.
good times!
Raine Virta
@raine
Sep 03 2015 20:37
@typedef annotation in the lens functions throws off jsdoc parser, making it think those functions' kind is typedef (while it should be function), the name property is wrong as well
that's why they are not picked up by ramda-json-docs
Scott Sauyet
@CrossEye
Sep 03 2015 21:22
I hacked together something to avoid that on the last release. I was hoping someone who understood lenses better could update the docs before the next one. ping @davidchambers.
David Chambers
@davidchambers
Sep 03 2015 22:10
@algesten, I look forward to trying zu! I’d been thinking of writing a similar library myself. Hopefully that’s no longer necessary.
Scott Sauyet
@CrossEye
Sep 03 2015 22:21
Glad you said something @davidchambers! I meant to look at this tonight, but it had already fallen off my radar. Too many things to do! Now I can add one more that I'm really interested in. Where to find the time?...
Scott Sauyet
@CrossEye
Sep 03 2015 22:49
@algesten: just looked at the zu API. Very nice!