These are chat archives for ramda/ramda

Dec 2015
Scott Sauyet
@CrossEye
Dec 19 2015 14:20
@kwijibo: sorry, just returning from an overseas journey, and finishing up my 29-hour trek home. I'm on my mobile and can't answer at length.
Scott Sauyet
@CrossEye
Dec 19 2015 14:26
But @niloy had it choose to right. I don't mean specifically the Monad laws, though. Others are just as important. Various Future and Task implementations are Functors. This means that I can call map over them. It acts a lot like a then but I know that it obeys the Functor laws, so they are composable. Promises don't give me this guarantee.
This lack was in fact the genesis of the Fantasyland specification.
"Niloy has it close to right" I hate typing on my mobile... and Gitter's mobile client.
Tobias Pflug
@gilligan
Dec 19 2015 14:59
@CrossEye hm yeah so in a way we should be thankful that the people involved with the Promises were awfully ignorant .. I like fantasy land spec :)
The discussion puffnfresh was having over the Promises A+ spec was painful to read none the less
(Also: gitter on iPhone is beyond awful)
Scott Sauyet
@CrossEye
Dec 19 2015 15:02
I'm personally not thrilled with it, but it's far better than nothing. I'm glad there is some such spec.
On Android, too.
it's fine for me on the desktop.
That discussion was pretty incoherent. No one could make sense of the other side.
Tobias Pflug
@gilligan
Dec 19 2015 15:43
Yeah that was quite unfortunate
Scott Sauyet
@CrossEye
Dec 19 2015 22:11
There goes @joneshf, blowing my mind again. "[Transducers are] a simplified version of van Laarhoven lenses." Just casual, like it's not a revelation! :smile:
Great article, @joneshf.
Scott Sauyet
@CrossEye
Dec 19 2015 22:21
It also reminded me that I hadn't responded to your question about the Sandi Metz video. I have seen it. I started to watch it, then realized that I didn't want to see it through before I coded my own solution. After I did, I watched the video, and realized we'd ended up going down very similar paths, albeit with a few very different choices because of the differing natures of the languages. But irrespective of her solution, the video is great. I'm going to have to watch some more of hers.
Tobias Pflug
@gilligan
Dec 19 2015 23:24
Yeah i'd like to read an article on that quote alone ;)
Scott Christopher
@scott-christopher
Dec 19 2015 23:25
+1 Great article @joneshf
I've been wondering whether lenses might be useful for designing state access for nested HTML components, where each component is constructed with a lens that can be used to access their own state in a global state object.