These are chat archives for rdfjs/public

9th
Oct 2015
elf Pavlik
@elf-pavlik
Oct 09 2015 14:42
@/all our first telecon will start in 2h 15min at 17:00UTC! https://www.w3.org/community/rdfjs/
elf Pavlik
@elf-pavlik
Oct 09 2015 15:30
Niklas Lindström
@niklasl
Oct 09 2015 16:10
Hi all, just wanted to say how glad I am to see this coordination work taking place!
I just realized I cannot attend this telecon – I forgot it's still summer time in Sweden... ;)
I think the agenda looks great though, and hope to contribute next time!
(And, given time, to participate here and in the list more again.)
elf Pavlik
@elf-pavlik
Oct 09 2015 16:22
@niklasl thank you for dropping by and I believe we'll do another telecon in November! in between this channel, mailing list and github repos/wikis should also provide us with nice collaboration space
In case someone would like to test G+ with me https://hangouts.google.com/call/7u6w3j4mptkgxos5np3die3lyya
Niklas Lindström
@niklasl
Oct 09 2015 16:28
@elf-pavlik Great, I'll strive to attend that! (And add any pertinent information to the space in the meantime.)
elf Pavlik
@elf-pavlik
Oct 09 2015 16:29
looking forward to it! :dancers:
30 minutes....
Niklas Lindström
@niklasl
Oct 09 2015 16:34
FWIW, my last hack in rdfjs space is https://github.com/niklasl/ldtr It is sort of a "cheat", since it just transcribes TriG into JSON-LD. It might be interesting as a comparison to proper triple representations though (although it does hide the "true nature" of RDF).
(I'd though I just mention it here since I
'd planned to do so in the telecon.)
elf Pavlik
@elf-pavlik
Oct 09 2015 16:39
welcome @Acubed (Austin William Wright)
we chat about JSON Schema and http://www.w3.org/2014/data-shapes/wiki/Main_Page relate
elf Pavlik
@elf-pavlik
Oct 09 2015 16:48
@ericprud works on www.w3.org/Brief/NDY1
Austin Wright
@awwright
Oct 09 2015 16:50
10 minutes
elf Pavlik
@elf-pavlik
Oct 09 2015 16:50
scribe syntax example
@Acubed: I can scribe, no problem
... at least for a whiile
Michael Luggen
@l00mi
Oct 09 2015 16:52
Hi
elf Pavlik
@elf-pavlik
Oct 09 2015 16:53
Hey @l00mi
Michael Luggen
@l00mi
Oct 09 2015 16:53
Do we have already the communication medium set-up?
jumping free topics to UI http://viejs.org/examples/todo/
we will scribe here
elf Pavlik
@elf-pavlik
Oct 09 2015 16:58
scribe: @Acubed
Austin Wright
@awwright
Oct 09 2015 16:58
@elf-pavlik (To @Acubed) if you can try to capture what people are saying
elf Pavlik
@elf-pavlik
Oct 09 2015 16:58
chair: @elf-pavlik
we start in 30 sec
TOPIC: online group collaboration spaces (max 10 min)
Austin Wright
@awwright
Oct 09 2015 17:01
@elf-pavlik: The first topic to go through... tools to use for online collaboration. Let's +1/-1 various tools. For chat... Gitter/IRC?
Ruben Verborgh
@RubenVerborgh
Oct 09 2015 17:01
Gitter: +1
Thomas Bergwinkl
@bergos
Oct 09 2015 17:01
gitter: +1
Michael Luggen
@l00mi
Oct 09 2015 17:01
Gitter:+1
Austin Wright
@awwright
Oct 09 2015 17:01
IRC: +1
Gregg Kellogg
@gkellogg
Oct 09 2015 17:01
IRC: +1, +.5 for Gitter
Pete Rivett
@rivettp
Oct 09 2015 17:01
Gitter+1
Michael Luggen
@l00mi
Oct 09 2015 17:02
Github:+1
Gregg Kellogg
@gkellogg
Oct 09 2015 17:02
Github: +1
Austin Wright
@awwright
Oct 09 2015 17:02
@elf-pavlik: And for wiki there's W3C and GitHub.
Ruben Verborgh
@RubenVerborgh
Oct 09 2015 17:02
Github:+1
Austin Wright
@awwright
Oct 09 2015 17:02
MediaWiki:+1
Thomas Bergwinkl
@bergos
Oct 09 2015 17:03
github: +1
elf Pavlik
@elf-pavlik
Oct 09 2015 17:03
Github: +1
Claus Stadler
@Aklakan
Oct 09 2015 17:03
github : +1
Austin Wright
@awwright
Oct 09 2015 17:04
@elf-pavlik: Next point, Website. rdfjs.org. Reference the W3C community group from the website, use the website?
Gregg Kellogg
@gkellogg
Oct 09 2015 17:04
rdfjs.org: +1 You can probably use a CNAME to redirect to GitPages.
Ruben Verborgh
@RubenVerborgh
Oct 09 2015 17:04
domain name +1, but website has to be managed by community, for instance GitPages
Austin Wright
@awwright
Oct 09 2015 17:04
@RubenVerborgh: Domain name is fine, but
... website should be run by community
Michael Luggen
@l00mi
Oct 09 2015 17:05
right now if not mistaken it is already pointing to github ip
Ruben Verborgh
@RubenVerborgh
Oct 09 2015 17:05
-1 on task forces choosing
(should all use the same thing)
Austin Wright
@awwright
Oct 09 2015 17:05
@elf-pavlik: Task forces can choose their own collaboration space?
@RubenVerborgh: We should avoid fragmentation and use the same thing
@elf-pavlik: Start a new repo?
@RubenVerborgh: Current group seems to be good
Ruben Verborgh
@RubenVerborgh
Oct 09 2015 17:07
+1 for hangout: everything is going well
Gregg Kellogg
@gkellogg
Oct 09 2015 17:07
Hangouts: +1
Austin Wright
@awwright
Oct 09 2015 17:07
@elf-pavlik: To Teleconferences. Any objections to hangouts, or any alternatives?
Thomas Bergwinkl
@bergos
Oct 09 2015 17:07
hangouts: +1
Michael Luggen
@l00mi
Oct 09 2015 17:07
hangouts: +1
Claus Stadler
@Aklakan
Oct 09 2015 17:07
hangouts: +1
Eric Prud'hommeaux
@ericprud
Oct 09 2015 17:07
hangouts:+1
elf Pavlik
@elf-pavlik
Oct 09 2015 17:07
hangouts: +1
Austin Wright
@awwright
Oct 09 2015 17:07
No opinion
Pete Rivett
@rivettp
Oct 09 2015 17:07
hangouts +1
Austin Wright
@awwright
Oct 09 2015 17:08
@elf-pavlik: I have access to rdfjs on Twitter, if someone is interested in accessing the account I'm open to sharing credentials.
elf Pavlik
@elf-pavlik
Oct 09 2015 17:08
workstreams (actionable) (max 40min)
Austin Wright
@awwright
Oct 09 2015 17:09
... Collaboration is very exciting. First item is representing triples
elf Pavlik
@elf-pavlik
Oct 09 2015 17:09
Proposal: Representation Task Force
please use q+ / q- for entering the queue
Austin Wright
@awwright
Oct 09 2015 17:10
@RubenVerborgh: Thomas and I had a good chat yesterday... We propose a task force for discussing technical issues and low-level APIs
Michael Luggen
@l00mi
Oct 09 2015 17:12
q+
Eric Prud'hommeaux
@ericprud
Oct 09 2015 17:12
q+ to ask if folks are leaning towards data or function access
elf Pavlik
@elf-pavlik
Oct 09 2015 17:12
ack @l00mi
Austin Wright
@awwright
Oct 09 2015 17:12
@bergos: Discussions on how to bring together the various high-level APIs from a common low-level API/representation
elf Pavlik
@elf-pavlik
Oct 09 2015 17:14
ack @ericprud
Austin Wright
@awwright
Oct 09 2015 17:15
@RubenVerborgh We're talking about an in-memory representation... there's several Turtle parsers, each of them outputs in different ways. What we're trying to achieve is a common data format for output
elf Pavlik
@elf-pavlik
Oct 09 2015 17:16
@gkellogg: explains how it works in ruby-rdf
Austin Wright
@awwright
Oct 09 2015 17:16
@gkellogg: The way we do it in Ruby is we define an interface... it yields the triples or quads it generates.
Austin Wright
@awwright
Oct 09 2015 17:18
@RubenVerborgh Promises seems to be the common interface being adopted
+q Parsing documents asynchronously/synchronously
Ruben Verborgh
@RubenVerborgh
Oct 09 2015 17:18
I meant: the promises spec is a good example of how we can standardize an interface
elf Pavlik
@elf-pavlik
Oct 09 2015 17:19
@Acubed I will ack you next!
and scribe what you say
ack @Acubed
@Acubed: we have rdf-interaces and I know Turtle library which uses its output, it takes the whole document and calls callback with all the triples
Ruben Verborgh
@RubenVerborgh
Oct 09 2015 17:21
q+ to clarify promises and why RDF interfaces is not sufficient
Eric Prud'hommeaux
@ericprud
Oct 09 2015 17:21
q+ to ask what use cases we know of
elf Pavlik
@elf-pavlik
Oct 09 2015 17:21
... asynchronious implementations send document all at one (scribe missed it)
@bergos do you ask where do we need promisses?
@Acubed what features do you see rdf-interfaces is missing?
Austin Wright
@awwright
Oct 09 2015 17:22
@Acubed: We already have RDF Interfaces, which features is it missing?
elf Pavlik
@elf-pavlik
Oct 09 2015 17:22
@bergos quads, async parsers
Thomas Hoppe
@vanthome
Oct 09 2015 17:22
Where is this matrix?
elf Pavlik
@elf-pavlik
Oct 09 2015 17:23
@ericprud still on the q?
Ruben Verborgh
@RubenVerborgh
Oct 09 2015 17:23
+1 on what bergi is saying
Austin Wright
@awwright
Oct 09 2015 17:23
@bergos: Let's continue to collect a list of use-cases
elf Pavlik
@elf-pavlik
Oct 09 2015 17:24
ack @ericprud
Austin Wright
@awwright
Oct 09 2015 17:24
@ericprud Trying to understand the use-cases we have already... Is there anything else?
Ruben Verborgh
@RubenVerborgh
Oct 09 2015 17:25
Clarification of earlier point: RDF Interfaces is not JavaScript-idiomatic; we want a JavaScript way to interact with triples and quads on a low level.
Being JavaScript-idiomatic includes support for asynchronicity.
ah
elf Pavlik
@elf-pavlik
Oct 09 2015 17:26
ack @RubenVerborgh
Pete Rivett
@rivettp
Oct 09 2015 17:26
it seems to me there might be value in mapping rdf:type info into Javascript classes - e.g. using Shapes
elf Pavlik
@elf-pavlik
Oct 09 2015 17:27
Next steps, and how people can engage
Austin Wright
@awwright
Oct 09 2015 17:28
@elf-pavlik What's the next step here?
@RubenVerborgh Figuring out how to represent triples
Ruben Verborgh
@RubenVerborgh
Oct 09 2015 17:29
Task: bergi & Ruben send out mail to recrute for Representation Task Force
elf Pavlik
@elf-pavlik
Oct 09 2015 17:29
Next topic (very quick) Use cases (see Task Force)
Nicola Greco
@nicola
Oct 09 2015 17:29
(room is full I cant' join)
Ruben Verborgh
@RubenVerborgh
Oct 09 2015 17:29
=> that's a problem for using Hangouts!
Austin Wright
@awwright
Oct 09 2015 17:30
D:
elf Pavlik
@elf-pavlik
Oct 09 2015 17:30
oh shit! sorry @nicola
Nicola Greco
@nicola
Oct 09 2015 17:30
(I have been following here anyway)
elf Pavlik
@elf-pavlik
Oct 09 2015 17:30
next time we need to do it on air!
Nicola Greco
@nicola
Oct 09 2015 17:31
(I was going to help facilitating but you are doing super well)
Austin Wright
@awwright
Oct 09 2015 17:31
@elf-pavlik If someone is interested in listing use-cases step up
Ruben Verborgh
@RubenVerborgh
Oct 09 2015 17:31
in the meantime, I created a Tasks page: https://github.com/rdfjs/rdfjs.org/wiki/Tasks
Austin Wright
@awwright
Oct 09 2015 17:31
@Acubed: I can help
Nicola Greco
@nicola
Oct 09 2015 17:32
(is someone scribing?)
Austin Wright
@awwright
Oct 09 2015 17:32
(me, badly)
@elf-pavlik Who's using user interface libraries with RDF?
@Aklakan ... making SPARQL queries, converting to JSON
Pete Rivett
@rivettp
Oct 09 2015 17:33
RDF Shapes work provides basis for building UI forms etc
Austin Wright
@awwright
Oct 09 2015 17:34
Is antoniogarrote here?
Ruben Verborgh
@RubenVerborgh
Oct 09 2015 17:34
And actually also
Thomas Hoppe
@vanthome
Oct 09 2015 17:34
Yea, in RDF shapes, I see big potential in generating UIs
Ruben Verborgh
@RubenVerborgh
Oct 09 2015 17:34
Also, there's the Hydra console: http://www.markus-lanthaler.com/hydra/console/
Thomas Hoppe
@vanthome
Oct 09 2015 17:34
This include shacl
elf Pavlik
@elf-pavlik
Oct 09 2015 17:35
Next TOPIC: Mapping Projects (dependencies, maintainers/contributors, specs, features) :smile:
Ruben Verborgh
@RubenVerborgh
Oct 09 2015 17:35
Hydra, in general, has lots of UI potential (similar to SHACL)
Eric Prud'hommeaux
@ericprud
Oct 09 2015 17:35
q+ to blather about validation
Austin Wright
@awwright
Oct 09 2015 17:35
@l00mi: Using RDF Shapes to generate user interfaces/forms, experiences on mobile
... having a common representation in memory would be helpful for performance
elf Pavlik
@elf-pavlik
Oct 09 2015 17:36
ack @ericprud
Austin Wright
@awwright
Oct 09 2015 17:36
@ericprud: I've done some user-interface stuff meant for RDF developers. It detects mistakes. And I have a different set of requirements.
Nicola Greco
@nicola
Oct 09 2015 17:36
(if there is multiple people in the same office with two connection, maybe they could drop, so I can join)
Austin Wright
@awwright
Oct 09 2015 17:37
One more use case from me
Michael Luggen
@l00mi
Oct 09 2015 17:37
q+ another use case finally would be to update a graph in the client which then gets persisted on server
kind of syncinc
elf Pavlik
@elf-pavlik
Oct 09 2015 17:37
@nicola I don't think so :worried: sorry for that next time we'll fix it
Gregg Kellogg
@gkellogg
Oct 09 2015 17:38
A JSON-LD parser would probably have a hard time tagging a line number with a triple/quad, but could do something like a json-path. RDFa can also associate a XPath IIRC
Austin Wright
@awwright
Oct 09 2015 17:39
@RubenVerborgh Compiling a list of how people use RDF libraries on a high level
elf Pavlik
@elf-pavlik
Oct 09 2015 17:40
@Acubed: little project I did a few ago, rendered template with RDFa instructions and filling in variables based on sub graph matching from database
... once you generate this document in will contain the same tripples
... facebook react seams to do something similar
Austin Wright
@awwright
Oct 09 2015 17:41
ty
@l00mi: This is something I'm interested in... And the fact the information is reactive is beneficial
Austin Wright
@awwright
Oct 09 2015 17:42
@Aklakan: I'm working on annotating the reverse, annotating the HTML to persist to the server
(understanding this correctly?)
elf Pavlik
@elf-pavlik
Oct 09 2015 17:42
ack @vanthome (i believe)
Austin Wright
@awwright
Oct 09 2015 17:43
@vanthome: Generating a UI automatically... Using a JSON-LD based API, JSON Schema, and a DSL.
... Completely automatically generating UIs
... we've built an implementation based on JSON Schema
... And building a database representation
Claus Stadler
@Aklakan
Oct 09 2015 17:44
@Acubed: Its annotating the HTML forms with RDF specific markup (e.g. rex-subject, rex-predicate, ...) such that the form can be both pre-filled out from existing data in a sparql endpoint as well as persist any changes back to it
Austin Wright
@awwright
Oct 09 2015 17:44
ty
elf Pavlik
@elf-pavlik
Oct 09 2015 17:44
TOPIC: Mapping Projects (dependencies, maintainers/contributors, specs, features)
Austin Wright
@awwright
Oct 09 2015 17:44
@elf-pavlik: Last topic, mapping projects
Michael Luggen
@l00mi
Oct 09 2015 17:45
q+
elf Pavlik
@elf-pavlik
Oct 09 2015 17:46
ack @l00mi
Austin Wright
@awwright
Oct 09 2015 17:46
... It was a project not originally using RDF
... I propose a workflow based on that
@l00mi: Why do we want this low-level API to interact?
elf Pavlik
@elf-pavlik
Oct 09 2015 17:47
TOPIC: group charter (max 5min)
Austin Wright
@awwright
Oct 09 2015 17:47
@elf-pavlik: I think we can close this, it's exciting we have many different cases
... more boring is taking on a charter
@ericprud: I can help
@elf-pavlik: For now we can just keep adding to the wiki
elf Pavlik
@elf-pavlik
Oct 09 2015 17:49
TOPIC: misc (max 5min)
Austin Wright
@awwright
Oct 09 2015 17:49
@elf-pavlik: Next meetings
Michael Luggen
@l00mi
Oct 09 2015 17:49
q+ Who is at ISWC next week?
Ruben Verborgh
@RubenVerborgh
Oct 09 2015 17:49
monthly +1
elf Pavlik
@elf-pavlik
Oct 09 2015 17:49
monthly +1
Ruben Verborgh
@RubenVerborgh
Oct 09 2015 17:49
going to ISWC: +1
elf Pavlik
@elf-pavlik
Oct 09 2015 17:49
ack @l00mi
Thomas Bergwinkl
@bergos
Oct 09 2015 17:50
monthly +1
elf Pavlik
@elf-pavlik
Oct 09 2015 17:50
ISWC IRL meetup anyone ?
Austin Wright
@awwright
Oct 09 2015 17:50
@l00mi: Is anyone going to ISWC, interested in meeting up?
Claus Stadler
@Aklakan
Oct 09 2015 17:50
monthly +1
Michael Luggen
@l00mi
Oct 09 2015 17:50
monthly +1
Austin Wright
@awwright
Oct 09 2015 17:50
@elf-pavlik: A face-to-face is good
@RubenVerborgh: Last ISWC had 70 people... but this time we had to cancel for insufficient interest
... not the best feeling to be suddenly ignored, we need to figure out how attract interest
elf Pavlik
@elf-pavlik
Oct 09 2015 17:52
TOPIC: group chairs
Ruben Verborgh
@RubenVerborgh
Oct 09 2015 17:52
I'd volunteer as a chair
Michael Luggen
@l00mi
Oct 09 2015 17:52
Task associated?
Austin Wright
@awwright
Oct 09 2015 17:52
@elf-pavlik: Last topic, group chair. Groups don't have to have chairs, but it's useful.
elf Pavlik
@elf-pavlik
Oct 09 2015 17:52
+1 @RubenVerborgh
Ruben Verborgh
@RubenVerborgh
Oct 09 2015 17:52
(if needed)
elf Pavlik
@elf-pavlik
Oct 09 2015 17:52
animating group :smile:
Michael Luggen
@l00mi
Oct 09 2015 17:52
+1 @RubenVerborgh
Ruben Verborgh
@RubenVerborgh
Oct 09 2015 17:52
(and co-chairs are welcome :wink:)
Gregg Kellogg
@gkellogg
Oct 09 2015 17:52
@elf-pavlik is doing a great job.
Thomas Bergwinkl
@bergos
Oct 09 2015 17:53
i can co-chairs
Michael Luggen
@l00mi
Oct 09 2015 17:53
co-chair @elf-pavlik
Gregg Kellogg
@gkellogg
Oct 09 2015 17:53
Having two chairs is always a good idea
elf Pavlik
@elf-pavlik
Oct 09 2015 17:53
@RubenVerborgh what we want to ask the whole group?
Austin Wright
@awwright
Oct 09 2015 17:54
@RubenVerborgh I think it's a good idea to have chairs regardless of who they are... let's compose a mail to everybody
@elf-pavlik: I can take the minutes and post to the wiki
@RubenVerborgh: I'm busy at ISWC, but I can help
elf Pavlik
@elf-pavlik
Oct 09 2015 17:55
@bergos what do we do about limit of he hanout?
Ruben Verborgh
@RubenVerborgh
Oct 09 2015 17:56
WebEx then?
Austin Wright
@awwright
Oct 09 2015 17:56
@bergos: We have a 10-person limit which we reached... what other possibilities do we have?
Ruben Verborgh
@RubenVerborgh
Oct 09 2015 17:56
+1 for WebEx instead (always had good audio quality there)
Austin Wright
@awwright
Oct 09 2015 17:56
@ericprud: I can setup a WebEx with 10 seconds of warning
Melvin Carvalho
@melvincarvalho
Oct 09 2015 17:56
+1 @bergos chair
Austin Wright
@awwright
Oct 09 2015 17:56
... Some police of abuse might be necessary
@bergos: I've had problems with things on Linux, will WebEx work?
Melvin Carvalho
@melvincarvalho
Oct 09 2015 17:57
ive not got webex working on linux yet, but I sometimes dial in thru skype
elf Pavlik
@elf-pavlik
Oct 09 2015 17:57
one can use G+ Hangout to call +1
Austin Wright
@awwright
Oct 09 2015 17:58
@ericprud: It works on my platform... And you can dial into it
Melvin Carvalho
@melvincarvalho
Oct 09 2015 17:58
would be nice to build our own webRTC solution :)
Austin Wright
@awwright
Oct 09 2015 17:58
@melvincarvalho++
The only call-in number supported by the MIT/WebEx instance is the one with the +1 country code: +1.617.324.0000.
Ruben Verborgh
@RubenVerborgh
Oct 09 2015 17:59
+1 for WebEx
elf Pavlik
@elf-pavlik
Oct 09 2015 18:00
+1for WebEx
Austin Wright
@awwright
Oct 09 2015 18:00
@elf-pavlik: So do we all agree next time using WebEx?
Thomas Bergwinkl
@bergos
Oct 09 2015 18:00
webex: +1
Claus Stadler
@Aklakan
Oct 09 2015 18:00
+1 WebEx
Austin Wright
@awwright
Oct 09 2015 18:00
@ericprud: Someone just has to remind me
Thomas Hoppe
@vanthome
Oct 09 2015 18:00
+1 let's test and see. If new problems occur we can try talky.io
Nicola Greco
@nicola
Oct 09 2015 18:00
+1 agree w/ @vanthome
Ruben Verborgh
@RubenVerborgh
Oct 09 2015 18:01
@elf-pavlik We'll be in touch by mail for the summary e-mail
Austin Wright
@awwright
Oct 09 2015 18:01
@elf-pavlik: Ruben will send out the summary on Sunday... thanks everyone
Michael Luggen
@l00mi
Oct 09 2015 18:01
Most impressed by the time-boxing! Thanks @elf-pavlik
elf Pavlik
@elf-pavlik
Oct 09 2015 18:01
Great call, Thanks everyone :dancers:
@RubenVerborgh tomorrow I also may travel but will check email in the evening no matter what!
Nicola Greco
@nicola
Oct 09 2015 18:02
Thanks you all for organizing this
I am happy to have somehow triggered to do this faster with the provocative simplerdf
(if that helped in any way!)
elf Pavlik
@elf-pavlik
Oct 09 2015 18:03
@nicola yeah! it really gave nice impulse :sparkles:
Will fix formatting later or anyone please feel invited to replace with nicer version. @melvincarvalho ? :wink:
Nicola Greco
@nicola
Oct 09 2015 18:08
just make it txt
elf Pavlik
@elf-pavlik
Oct 09 2015 18:09
thanks @nicola :smile:
Nicola Greco
@nicola
Oct 09 2015 18:09
;)
simpletxt