These are chat archives for reactioncommerce/reaction

23rd
Oct 2015
Emilio Srougo
@Emilios1995
Oct 23 2015 16:56
Hi Everyone! I recently discovered Meteor and started developing right away. Now I have an ecommerce project and I am really excited to do it with Reaction. But I was thinking, does it really make sense to make a commerce site with real-time connections? I mean, it would be very useful to use it in the admin dashboard, to get new orders, etc. but the clients don't need real-time. What do you think?
Mike Murray
@mikemurray
Oct 23 2015 17:04

@Emilios1995 welcome, and on to your question.

Short answer: yes!

Long answer: Customers getting real time updates is can help display inventory shifts based on stock, location and other factors. Real time pricing updates, real-time sales, even real-time support from shop owners. Thats just to name a few.

Emilio Srougo
@Emilios1995
Oct 23 2015 17:09
@mikemurray Thanks!, I agree (i am happy I do!), a real time app looks a lot cooler. And anyway you can use clustering (meteorhacks:cluster) to prevent performance issues, right?
Mike Murray
@mikemurray
Oct 23 2015 17:18
@Emilios1995 yup! Also, we're working on a hosted solution like meteor galaxy, but for reaction shops. Info on that coming in the next few weeks.
Emilio Srougo
@Emilios1995
Oct 23 2015 17:24
@mikemurray Looking forward to that! Just one more question, How can I modify the code to suit my needs, and still be able to get the improvements from the last updates to the repo ?
Mike Murray
@mikemurray
Oct 23 2015 17:28

@Emilios1995 you can put your modifications in your own copy of https://github.com/reactioncommerce/reaction (which is just the base meteor app, and doesn't get many updates)

or, create your own packages

some guides under "Developer Documentation": https://github.com/reactioncommerce/reaction

Spencer Norman
@spencern
Oct 23 2015 19:17
What’s the best way to verify that the person calling a cart method with a cartID is the owner of that cart?
Mike Murray
@mikemurray
Oct 23 2015 19:40
@spencern I suppose you could use their userId is a query for the cart
Spencer Norman
@spencern
Oct 23 2015 19:43
Yeah, just check against cart.userId - I noticed that this isn’t happening in the core cart methods, is that because spoofing a cart Id would be super difficult or is there some other security happening to ensure that users can’t adjust the carts of other users?
Mike Murray
@mikemurray
Oct 23 2015 19:44
probably in the cart publication
Emilio Srougo
@Emilios1995
Oct 23 2015 20:06
Hello again @mikemurray ! I was exploring the project and realized that this is not just a boilerplate project (as I thought ) but rather a high-quality ready-to-use platform! So I just wanted to congratulate you. I will start developing and use custom packages to implement my own features as you suggested. Hope to contribute to the project along the way!
Mike Murray