These are chat archives for reactioncommerce/reaction

2nd
Feb 2016
M Bybee
@MBybee
Feb 02 2016 00:03
Hi. I'm looking for docs on how to create a plugin (hoping to tackle the missing product downloads, if I can)
Can you point me at the doc for your plugin management? I was perusing https://docs.reactioncommerce.com/reaction-docs/development/workflow, etc
If anyone knows :) Otherwise, I'll see what I can noodle out
Brent Hoover
@zenweasel
Feb 02 2016 00:05
Reaction packages are just regular Meteor packages with just some extra bits for reaction
There is also this template package to get you started: https://github.com/reactioncommerce/reaction-helloworld
M Bybee
@MBybee
Feb 02 2016 00:06
Sweet! That's the bit I was looking for. Thanks!
Brent Hoover
@zenweasel
Feb 02 2016 00:07
np. Just come back here if you have questions
M Bybee
@MBybee
Feb 02 2016 00:07
Do you know if there is already a lot of work on the downloads that I'd just be messing up, or is it still way out on the roadmap?
Brent Hoover
@zenweasel
Feb 02 2016 00:08
I don’t think any significant work has been done yet for digital delivery. But if you look back on the history here you can see several people are collaborating on trying to create a community package
M Bybee
@MBybee
Feb 02 2016 00:09
I did see that, which is why I don't want to go stomping off and duplicating effort, but clumsily :D
It seemed like not much in quite a long while, so thought I'd give it a go.
Brent Hoover
@zenweasel
Feb 02 2016 00:11
Yeah, you are pretty safe. Just an eye on the changes to routing that will be coming out shortly in version 12.
M Bybee
@MBybee
Feb 02 2016 00:13
Ok. I didn't see that - is that imminent?
Brent Hoover
@zenweasel
Feb 02 2016 00:13
Very
Should be in our next release which will be coming out in a few days. Or sooner.
M Bybee
@MBybee
Feb 02 2016 00:15
Oh wow. Ok, I'll work on my theming and products then, and learning my why around the internals a bit more
then get out the caffeine and keyboard when I've upgraded to the new stuff
Brent Hoover
@zenweasel
Feb 02 2016 00:16
I would boil it down to don’t spend any time learning Iron Router. https://github.com/reactioncommerce/reaction/tree/reaction-router
M Bybee
@MBybee
Feb 02 2016 00:17
Thanks so much! You've been a great help, and someday I hope to return the favor :)
:beers:
Brent Hoover
@zenweasel
Feb 02 2016 00:17
np
n-a-n
@n-a-n
Feb 02 2016 08:56
hello
does anyone know if we can use reactioncommerce today, in production, for a client who wants a simple e-commerce site ?
I LOVE javascript, I believe in Meteor, but I can do a safe e-commerce 10 products site in two days with wordpress or prestashop.
is it very risky or not to begin with reactioncommerce today, in your opinion ?
Brent Hoover
@zenweasel
Feb 02 2016 10:37
When you say risk,, what sort of risk are you talking about?
Honestly RC was designed for exactly your use case and with developers like you in mind. I think you would be very well off doing a client site with RC, and you don’t won’t into a dead-end when you need to customize like you will with Wordpress. (disclaimer: I work for RC)
So when you say risk do you mean scalability or security?
M Bybee
@MBybee
Feb 02 2016 15:32
Anyone know if there's a switch to flip it from port 3000 to 80? Closest I found was an AWS proxy command so far
I was digging around in the docker files, and everything seems to be pointing to 80 - except for some js files (not sure what they do yet)
Aaron Judd
@aaronjudd
Feb 02 2016 16:07
@MBybee you pass the env “PORT” variable, or on the CLI as —port
production defaults to 80, development/ local defaults to 3000
David Rynearson
@The-Outrider
Feb 02 2016 16:10
@aaronjudd or you know whatever port heroku assigns it... because heroku
M Bybee
@MBybee
Feb 02 2016 16:11
So that was the switch I was looking for - the one that flips dev/prod, I guess. With nothing but ./reaction install, it just does dev, right?
so if I export PORT first, it'll stay dev, but use 80? That'd work
makes my firewall stuff a little easier, anyhow
right now I'm mainly poking at it, learning how it all ties together, and waiting for the v12 release before doing too much
Aaron Judd
@aaronjudd
Feb 02 2016 16:21
yes because with Docker (and CI,etc) you can configure using env vars.. so that’s the way you configure deployments. reaction install is just the same (after installation) as running reaction or meteor, so you can run reaction —port 3006 locally if you need another port
@The-Outrider should be the same with heroku - you use the env PORT to setup, right?
David Rynearson
@The-Outrider
Feb 02 2016 16:24
@aaronjudd correct, its the exact same nothing special needed
Aaron Judd
@aaronjudd
Feb 02 2016 16:27
@PaulSavignano there’s some packages out there for integrating WP to Meteor, we use Ghost but not “integrated” (although something I think that could be done). We’ll be releasing CMS / content over the next few releases as well
M Bybee
@MBybee
Feb 02 2016 16:33
Oh, nice. BTW, I wrote an upstart script for reaction yesterday, if that'd be of any use to you
This message was deleted
lol - did not get the right markdown, sorry about that
Still learning glitter/github. The shops I've been at have been less advanced :D
M Bybee
@MBybee
Feb 02 2016 16:49
Paul Savignano
@PaulSavignano
Feb 02 2016 18:20
@aaronjudd ryw:blog works with my other apps but throws a no subscribe method error with RC. Anyway, maybe I'll just wait for yours. Thanks for the update!
Aaron Judd
@aaronjudd
Feb 02 2016 18:21
@PaulSavignano :thumbsup:
Paul Savignano
@PaulSavignano
Feb 02 2016 22:25
Hey guys, when going through the docs on extending a template it says to add a template extension map to client/templates.js. I am unable to find a template.js in the client directory but did find layout.js which appears to be what I need. Is this a typo or am I missing something?