These are chat archives for reactioncommerce/reaction

2nd
Mar 2017
Aditya Khandelwal
@akhand42
Mar 02 2017 04:44
@zenweasel I have been fooling around with Reaction CLI and the repos on Github for the last few hours. What is the easiest way to deploy my project (which was initialized using the Reaction CLI, but has since seen quite a few changes) using the Docker/DigitalOcean instructions given in the documentation? (sorry, I am new to docker, and I don't really know how to run images/containers AND/OR deploy my own projects using Docker)
Nasser
@NasserAlmanji
Mar 02 2017 05:45
Running https://docs.reactioncommerce.com/reaction-docs/development/installation takes long time (more than ~ a minute), I am evaluating the project, but I was wondering if I want to make changes, will always take a (~minute) to see the changes? I am using Mac OS
@spencern Should I use Docker for a faster development (customization) of the application?
Spencer Norman
@spencern
Mar 02 2017 05:47
While developing, you should probably not use Docker, that’s more for a production build
our changes only take 5 - 10s to update
Nasser
@NasserAlmanji
Mar 02 2017 05:47
@spencern :+1:
Spencer Norman
@spencern
Mar 02 2017 05:47
and while not the fastest, isn’t terrible
Mar 02 2017 05:47
if it’s taking you a minute to see changes, there’s something else going on
Nasser
@NasserAlmanji
Mar 02 2017 05:49
By changes I mean restarting the process by killing it and then do "reaction run" so that I visit localhost:3000, I noticed that after
=> Started proxy.
=> Meteor 1.4.3.1 is available. Update this project with 'meteor update'.
=> Started MongoDB.
it waits a time until I see
=> App running at: http://localhost:3000/
Mar 02 2017 05:50
you don’t need to stop and restart it to see code changes
Nasser
@NasserAlmanji
Mar 02 2017 05:50
Aha
Mar 02 2017 05:51
it needs to rebuild the application from scratch every time if you do that
Nasser
@NasserAlmanji
Mar 02 2017 05:51
Ok, that is why then
Mar 02 2017 05:51
when you make changes, Meteor will automatically detect and rebuild the files that have changed. And if client files, reload on the client
Nasser
@NasserAlmanji
Mar 02 2017 05:51
Including server changes?
OR should be rebuilt again?
Mar 02 2017 05:52
Yes. If server changes it will restart the server
Nasser
@NasserAlmanji
Mar 02 2017 05:52
Ok
Mar 02 2017 05:52
Much, much faster than rebuilding everything from scratch
I think I would poke my eyes out if I had to wait for complete rebuilding with every change.
what is this? Java?
Mar 02 2017 05:53
:+1:
@spencern lol
tkdanhpro
@tkdanhpro
Mar 02 2017 05:55
Footer is not show on website, how can i do to show footer sir?
Mar 02 2017 05:55
@tkdanhpro You’re going to have to give me a little more context
tkdanhpro
@tkdanhpro
Mar 02 2017 05:57
What can i do to show footer on website, because i see footer source but it does no show.
Long Nguyen Thanh
@longnguyenit94
Mar 02 2017 06:02
@zenweasel hi. I also need the help of that footer on website. Design and do it to show up.
Mar 02 2017 06:06
I’m looking.
Mar 02 2017 06:12
it looks like nothing is being passed down for the layoutFooter variable
so you just need to supply a template name
Probably one of the simpler ways would be to override the main layout template and just add your footer there
Mar 02 2017 06:18
If you start with the example plugin in the tutorial, it shows you how to override the main layout template
tkdanhpro
@tkdanhpro
Mar 02 2017 06:20
Yes sir, i will try
which files I can supply template name to work sir?
Mar 02 2017 06:22
Have you been though the tutorial?
tkdanhpro
@tkdanhpro
Mar 02 2017 06:22
I have start using reaction for 2 days
yes im reading the tutorial
Mar 02 2017 06:23
The best way to start is to go through the tutorial. It covers most of the things you need to do when customizing Reaction
tkdanhpro
@tkdanhpro
Mar 02 2017 06:23
OK sir, thank for your help!
Patrick Artounian
@partounian
Mar 02 2017 21:00
This is probably a dumb question to ask here, but before I noticed this project I was thinking of building an ecommerce system with meteor for my industry (requires a very specific setup, doesn't work nicely with normal ecommerce systems). Now that I found reaction, I am kind of conflicted. What is the feasibility of a (newer-ish)intermediate programmer creating a shopping cart? let's say without any admin input. All hardcoded settings for the purpose of discussion.
Mar 02 2017 21:18
It’s hard to say what the feasability is. I think even an internmediate programmer could create a simple shopping cart. In fact I did this myself and there are certain advantages in having no extra complexity where it’s not needed for your use case.
The problems came because the problem is always more complex than you expect and it’s hard for a single programmer to keep something bug-free and eCommerce is an area where there is an especially low tolerance for bugs
Any area, shippung, taxes, inventory, etc. can quickly become pretty complex and to solve these issues over again when they have already been solved (and tested) becomes hard to justify
imho it’s best to solve the problems that are unique to your business and not on how to handle anonymous checkout
it mostly depends on how much friction there is between how you do business and how Reaction works
amp9020
@amp9020
Mar 02 2017 21:25
Hello, what is the preferred method to run reaction and have it restart when it dies? would pm2 work?
Patrick Artounian
@partounian
Mar 02 2017 21:31
Thank you so much for your input @zenweasel . I am going to take a stab at Reaction also. However, I do have a quick question, each product has configurable options which can end up in thousands of variations at time, usually hundreds though. Does this seem reasonable with Reaction? Any idea on max variants?
Mar 02 2017 21:32
How many total are we talking about?
@amp9020 Do you mean in development or in production?
amp9020
@amp9020
Mar 02 2017 21:36
@zenweasel - in dev. but would like to know in production steps too. i tried both pm2 and forever .... both failing on me. =\
Mar 02 2017 21:37
@amp9020 Why is it constantly failing?
amp9020
@amp9020
Mar 02 2017 21:38
@zenweasel -> sorry short answer its not failing. more like i if my ssh connection times out or disconnects for any reason, i have to login and run reaction again.
Mar 02 2017 21:39
we’ve used forever, but only for built meteor apps (which become just nodejs apps)
@amp9020 you don’t want to just develop locally?
amp9020
@amp9020
Mar 02 2017 21:40
@zenweasel -> i want it to eventually startup on boot. so it simply runs and restarts if the PID dies. i develop in a vpc in aws. so it is "local" just not local to my workstation
Mar 02 2017 21:43
Yeah, I don’t know what the solution is then. Maybe just a shell script that starts itself?
Patrick Ezell
@patricke
Mar 02 2017 21:45

@partounian a very non-technical opinion on this. I’ve worked with brands where a product could have 4-8 different options to configure on each project - each option could be as simple as true/false, but many had 4-20 options to select from.

This was pre-Reaction’s birth — in the example I mentioned some of the variables that didn’t effect price or inventory but were attributes of how something was assembled or “kitted” — those were simply stored on the order record with the product. That approach took a product that would have had ~16,000 variations/child products - to 500 - 2000 thousand variations

amp9020
@amp9020
Mar 02 2017 21:46
@zenweasel - okay no worries. thanks for the help. i'll try a simple script. i was hoping for something to be a bit more aware just in case it does die.
Patrick Ezell
@patricke
Mar 02 2017 21:46
With the flexibility of the product schema and ability to have multiple levels of inheritance with products I think Reaction would be an ideal choice.
@partounian Part of the reason I joined the Reaction team (and yes that makes me biased :) was the archtecture of the platform and catalog in particular offered solutions to problems I’ve had over and over with different commerce sites.
Patrick Artounian
@partounian
Mar 02 2017 22:06
@patricke Well all options affect pricing. There are a few integrations which may also be difficult. I really like the work you guys put into this. I'm going to try using this as a base and see if I can develop modules for my style of shopping cart.
Patrick Ezell
@patricke
Mar 02 2017 22:19
@partounian got it, sounds like a configurator type of need :) Those can be both fun (a good challenge is fun in my book) and aggrivating. I blame the combination of cyber monday’s and pricing configurators for loosing all my hair in my early 30s.