These are chat archives for reactioncommerce/reaction

Sep 2018
Paul Gorbach
@gorbachpaul
Sep 24 2018 15:18
Is there someone who could spare some time to guide me through the process of creating a plugin? Goal is to turn the homepage into a custom Hello World page. I tried to follow the tutorial several times but no success so far :(
Ben S.
@bnschmdt
Sep 24 2018 16:45

@gorbachpaul Yeah, the docs don't go far enough. I don't even think they mention that you have to add an index.js file to your "client" folder. In that index.js file, do:

import './templates/myFirstTemplate.html';
import './templates/myFirstTemplate.js(without the file type; should read 'myFirstTemplate' only)';
import './less/myFirstTemplateLess.less';

I can do a screenshare with you sometime this weekend if you'd like. write me b (dot) sch @ live (dot) com.
Daniel Honig
@dhonig
Sep 24 2018 17:40
The latest docker setup has a really nice workflow for development. It also eliminates some problems I've had with file system change watching in linux. nice work @jshimko
Daniel Honig
@dhonig
Sep 24 2018 17:54
@bnschmdt I think its pretty clear once you look at the swag store example/example plugin...But its also basic meteor development.
F.J. Genus
@FJKhan
Sep 24 2018 17:58
@dhonig if one is already familiar with meteor, then it's easier - no dispute there. but the reaction docs could still be improved to be more friendly to those who aren't as familiar with meteor. I went through hours of banging my head against a wall to figure custom plugin dev out, and still am. currently working on a COD plugin for my site in an effort to understand it, so I can update the community one if someone doesn't do so first.
Daniel Honig
@dhonig
Sep 24 2018 18:02
@FJKhan I think someone has done a COD plugin....
F.J. Genus
@FJKhan
Sep 24 2018 18:02
@dhonig you missed where I said it needs to be updated
Daniel Honig
@dhonig
Sep 24 2018 18:03
my bad :)
F.J. Genus
@FJKhan
Sep 24 2018 18:03
lol it's cool bro
so I'm working on this one, to ascertain the changes needed to update the community one
Ben S.
@bnschmdt
Sep 24 2018 18:20
@dhonig agreed. Personally coming from a frontend development point of view, I definitely didn't know some of the "duh" points of the work, such as the index thing.
Daniel Honig
@dhonig
Sep 24 2018 18:21
For the moment there is no point in trying to learn reaction without at least learning the "ToDoApp" in Meteor/React. That might change in the future especially with the nextJS based front end.
F.J. Genus
@FJKhan
Sep 24 2018 18:22
@dhonig I did it, and it still didnt help as much as I expected it to lol. it's remarkably basic
Daniel Honig
@dhonig
Sep 24 2018 18:23
Its enough that you don't end up camping out in the weeds, not enough to completely avoid some time in them. ;)
F.J. Genus
@FJKhan
Sep 24 2018 18:23
lol good one
David Mondrus
@mondrus
Sep 24 2018 20:21
hey guys, where on the development timeline is a mutlivendor store?
Sheyi Folorunsho Adekoya