These are chat archives for reactioncommerce/reaction

Sep 2018
Will Lopez
@willopez
Sep 28 2018 00:05
Hi Peter, can you change directories to the reaction dir
and execute: docker-compose logs -f and let me know what the output is
?
The connection will be refused if the reaction app has not finished initializing
Will Lopez
@willopez
Sep 28 2018 19:40
@moeghashim did you follow the "Getting started" instructions in the reaction-platform repo?
Further, ensure your have checkout out release-2.0.0-rc.1 in your reaction directory
~/reaction-platform/reaction
Nathan Nobbe
@quickshiftin
Sep 28 2018 19:49
Hey guys! I'm looking at Reaction Commerce and it looks like the upcoming version will be based on nextjs & material ui..
any idea on timing of this new version?
Will Lopez
@willopez
Sep 28 2018 20:28
Hi Nathan and thank you for your interest in Reaction Commerce, there is no set date yet. However, I would estimate at least 2-3 months to get to feature parity with legacy reaction 1.0
Currently, the storefront has been released as an MVP
Nathan Nobbe
@quickshiftin
Sep 28 2018 20:29
Hey thanks for your reply Will!
It also looks like Reaction has its own DB for products and what-not
Currently I have an existing system with an API that would be our source of truth if we used Reaction for the frontend
It houses all of our products and their respective attributes
Is there any way to have Reaction feed off that API, or do you think I'd need to sync those products with the Reaction DB?
Ticean Bennett
@ticean
Sep 28 2018 20:37
Hi @quickshiftin, for today’s version you would have best success with syncing the DB. We separate the product definitions from the operational catalog that drives the user experience. So theoretically, you could maintain your source of truth, bypass products and publish to the catalog. In practice though, the publishing method isn’t cleanly separated yet. We plan to address that very soon.
Nathan Nobbe
@quickshiftin
Sep 28 2018 20:38
Thanks Ticean!
Ticean Bennett
@ticean
Sep 28 2018 20:38
Happy to help!
Nathan Nobbe
@quickshiftin
Sep 28 2018 20:38
I've previously tried integrating with Magento and it was a disaster b/c I had to duplicate everything, products, categories, users, images...
Ideally, I could just implement some interfaces that would make calls via my api to feed the frontend
In a perfect world :D
Ticean Bennett
@ticean
Sep 28 2018 20:41
I understand! We’re working in a direction that’s intended to make those integrations easier.
Nathan Nobbe
@quickshiftin
Sep 28 2018 20:45
That's cool dude, could be a life saver for me
Do you think it's something that would be part of the 2.0 release w/ nextjs & material?
Ticean Bennett
@ticean
Sep 28 2018 20:47
I’ll have to qualify like Will on the date, but I expect it to follow 2.0.0 final, most likely released in 2.x.x.
Or some post 2.0.0 version. :)
Nathan Nobbe
@quickshiftin
Sep 28 2018 20:49
Ok cool, does this functionality have a name yet, something I can put on my radar to look out for?
Ticean Bennett
@ticean
Sep 28 2018 20:51
No specific name and I don’t think there’s a public issue for this yet. Terms like “catalog publishing” might be in the ballpark. :)
Nathan Nobbe
@quickshiftin
Sep 28 2018 20:51
cool cool
so one more question and I'm out of your hair for now :D
If I fire up the active version now just to play around, I assume the concepts are going to be pretty comparable with the 2.0 product?
Ticean Bennett
@ticean
Sep 28 2018 20:53
Yes. The current release is 2.0.0-rc1. It’s a release candidate for 2.0.0 final.
Nathan Nobbe
@quickshiftin
Sep 28 2018 20:54
Awesome, thanks a bunch!
Ticean Bennett
@ticean
Sep 28 2018 20:55
:thumbsup: Thanks for checking out Reaction!