These are chat archives for reactioncommerce/reaction

3rd
Feb 2019
Feb 03 05:59
Hi Guys,
I have one question so far, I did installation of Reaction Commerce, I am very excited to build my new project of Ecommerce in Reaction Commerce.
But I want to hear some of your expereinces about RC, API with custom store front and plus can we create any custom functionality inside the RC admin panel like payment and the pre-order something like that?
Feb 03 08:19
@adilsaeed31 You can implement virtually any functionnality you want, including overrides to the admin panel if you need to do so. As for the GraphQL API, it is in my opinion such a pleasure to work with. Everything makes sense and it's very quick. Just try it out and see for yourself!
Feb 03 08:32
@loan-laux Hmm, That's great man, I got a good response from you, but also please guide me about the MongoDB, Is mongoDB good for the Ecommerce, why they choose mongoDB ?
Feb 03 10:05
@adilsaeed31 MongoDB is a great fit for e-commerce, and I think it's actually much better than SQL databases for a couple of reasons. The number one is speed, because it's not a secret that document databases are quicker than SQL ones for standard CRUD operations. And of course, every retailer wants a fast website to increase conversion. Also, unlike MySQL or Postgres, MongoDB is very easy to scale. Using a managed service like Atlas, you can create as many replicas and shards as you want, as well as control their geographical position. This is also doable outside of a managed platform of course.
And finally, from a developer's perspective, a document approach makes much more sense in the context of e-commerce. Visualizing products, orders and customers as objects is just more natural and allows for a more consistent codebase.
Feb 03 10:07
@loan-laux That's very fair reply regarding MongoDB. Thanks.
@loan-laux Can you answer my last question for now.
Feb 03 10:07
Sure, what is it?
Feb 03 10:08
@loan-laux What do you think about react next starterkit store front, is it OK to kickstart a project or should I start from scratch with help of API. Furthermore what about the filters of products any good API or db structure in mongodb they are providing us.
Feb 03 10:09
It's a great base to build a project upon. You can start from scratch if you want, but you'll have a lot of universal parts to rebuild whereas you could have them ready to use in the starter kit.
As for adding filters, simply override the catalogItems GraphQL query and add your custom fields in there. Then, modify the logic in the resolver to leverage the MongoDB aggregation framework.
Feb 03 10:12
@loan-laux Modifying the logic in resolver is something I need to in backend or storefront starter kit.
@loan-laux I think let's leave that I will check the documentation for that.
@loan-laux Thanks for your wonderful answers.
Feb 03 10:13
This is on the backend. On the front-end, you'd simply add a new decorator. Take example on the existing @withTag.
Anytime @adilsaeed31. Have fun with Reaction!
Feb 03 10:14
@loan-laux Can you suggest me a good server for this Reactoin Commerce.
Like I am thinking of Zeit.co
Feb 03 10:15
Good hosting? I would recommend AWS ECS if you can. But generally, anything that can run Docker containers is a good fit.
Feb 03 10:15
AWS Ecs is too expensive
What about Google Cloud?
Feb 03 10:16
You can use Google Cloud but I don't have enough first-hand experience with it to give you advice. Probably someone in this community does, though.
Feb 03 10:16
But AWS is I think very expensive at the moment for my client.
@loan-laux One more question pop in my mind. Regarding in Reaction 2.0 they don't have product listing while login with admin panel. They have just store on localhost:3000 and you need to search or click the product then you can edit. Is that something unique or they are developing proper admin panel like other Ecommerce platforms.
Feb 03 10:21
@adilsaeed31 If you're running Reaction Commerce 2.0 RC8 minimum, you can check out the new Operator UI at localhost:3000/operator. Details in this PR: reactioncommerce/reaction#4896
Feb 03 10:25
@loan-laux Aah, I got it. that mean I have keep an eye on updates and should pull updates on monthly basis.
@loan-laux I think that's enough now, Just tell me one last thing, How much AWS would cost me If I go with it?
Feb 03 10:27
Absolutely! Reaction gets updated frequently so keep an eye out.
I would say you'd need a minimum of 2 t2.small EC2 for a site that gets little traffic. Then, you'd scale up accordingly. See https://www.ec2instances.info for pricing info.
Feb 03 10:30
@loan-laux What about CDN thing for cache images and content?
Feb 03 10:55
@loan-laux Wow I check the /operator panel it's look nice. I am loving it.
Feb 03 10:55
@adilsaeed31 :+1:
Feb 03 10:56
@loan-laux I am also going for AWS. but I am waiting for your reply on "What about CDN thing for cache images and content?"
Feb 03 10:56
In terms of using a CDN, you should be able to use CloudFlare at a DNS level with the new Next.js storefront.
Previously, with the Meteor one, it used to not be possible because of an incompatibility with WebSockets. I must confess that I haven't tried yet with the Next.js storefront, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.
Feb 03 11:04
@loan-laux what about netlify.com, fastly.com ? or AWS cache product?
Feb 03 12:41
I may be wrong but does Netlify provide CDN services? I though it was only static site hosting. Not sure about Fastly. AWS cache product meaning AWS CloudFront?
If you're talking about CloudFront, then yes it does work with Reaction. Generally speaking, any CDN should do the job just fine. @adilsaeed31
Baldwin John Sumatra
@bij-fts
Feb 03 14:21
Greetings, just wanted to ask if it's possible to replace the current authentication with something custom? And where to start with this. Tried asking on the forum but my post wasn't approved.
Nuruddin Badawi
@NuruddinBadawi
Feb 03 15:33
hi guys, I'm trying to sell services not physical products, so I need to disable shipping feature and change checkout workflow, is there plugin to help me with sell services instead of products ?